+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Somewhat disgusted.

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    Show me a team who doesn't have cap "issues" and I'll show you a perennial basement dweller.
    Lets try the Patriots for one.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    There is no way that Reese could a account for a guy like Cruz becoming what he has.
    He could have locked him up early at a bargain price, which is something that was done quite often when he took over from Accorsi.

I'm all kinds of shocked that we've handled Cruz the way we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Nope, it keeps the league competitive. It's the team's job to stay within it.
    We probably don't want the MLB situation where the same 4-5 teams outspend everybody else, but I'd like to see an exception for resigning home-grown players like the Larry Byrd exception.

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    Show me a team who doesn't have cap "issues" and I'll show you a perennial basement dweller.
    Exactly, the Ravens have a very difficult salary cap situation to deal with this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Lets try the Patriots for one.
    They havent won in almost a decade

Quote Originally Posted by Rat_bastich View Post
    I think, compared to other NFL teams, they have been pretty conservative and actually get more bang for the buck. I believe even if they had a lot of room under the current cap they still wouldn't go after star players and would still bargain shop.
    Rolle, Canty and Baas?

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    They havent won in almost a decade
    But they're hardly a perennial basement dweller.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnerNYG View Post
    Build a bridge and get over it.
    The Giants tried that last season and it didn't work.

Last edited by Flip Empty; 02-07-2013 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    He could have locked him up early at a bargain price, which is something that was done quite often when he took over from Accorsi.

How early? He exploded the first year he played . . . after that season there was no way that he was going to sign at a "bargain price". Are you suggesting that they should have signed him to a long term deal before the 2011 season or in the middle of that season?

Given how fast Cruz exploded on the scene, it is pretty hard to fault Reese for his handling of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    I've been a life long Giants fan ( 30 plus years and counting ) always been proud of this franchise and by God always will. I've seen through out the years tough FO personnel decisions made, Bavaro, Banks, Pepper Johnson, Burt, Jesse Armstead and the list goes on and on, all those decision based on contract disputes, injury issues and when FA era started the calls got tougher not only for the Giants but for all NFL teams. But one thing I would HATE seeing happening to this franchise in relation to the FO is decisions made by the presence of a $hi....ty salary cap situation inflated in the first place by the own team with irresponsible managment. I've always mocked teams that have lived all their lives under bad administrations putting their franchise at the bottom of salary caps by awful financial decisions , the Raiders amoung others are the laughing-stock of the NFL in this regard and year in and year out they keep it up. Reese has a difficult job no different compared with other GMs around the league but I can't seem to put this bad taste out of my mouth right now thinking that in a very good part this hard decisions cutting players have been taken based on awful cap managment ( huge contracts with no intentions to fulfill, constant contract restructuring asked for some players, etc ) . If this Is going to be a rough ride to keep us out of cap hell? Then fine but I don't want this to become a trend for the future, living in cap hell by the result of bad managment. Those, my two cents. Go Giants!
    You can only judge success by the results. So far, Reese's results have been pretty good.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post

They've had Cruz at a bargain price for three years and are about to do it again if he has to be tendered. That's just how the process works. With the recent releases, I am convinced Reese is going to do everything he can to sign Nicks and Cruz long term. But let's not kid ourselves, Nicks and Cruz have to make good faith efforts in those negotiations.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    How early? He exploded the first year he played . . . after that season there was no way that he was going to sign at a "bargain price". Are you suggesting that they should have signed him to a long term deal before the 2011 season or in the middle of that season?

Given how fast Cruz exploded on the scene, it is pretty hard to fault Reese for his handling of the situation.
    Every day they wait the price goes up.

I would have re-upped him in mid-2011 at a bargain. As soon as it was clear that 2010 preseason wasn't a fluke... IIRC he had a bust-out in the Eagles game in 2011. You could have had him relatively cheap.

The longer you wait the more expensive he becomes -- and his ego will be hurt as well.

Reese used to be good at resigning guys early at bargain prices, and we'd sign young players long term at below market value. Tuck is a good example, even though he's falling off he's played for years underpaid.

+ Reply to Thread