+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    Show me a team who doesn't have cap "issues" and I'll show you a perennial basement dweller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Lets try the Patriots for one.
    and there's a reason why the Patriots are the cream of the crop when it comes to front office. although it helps when you have arguably the best QB of all time on your team. The eagles also.

I'm huge Reese homer, but his FA signings have been - i suppose like other FA signings. Spent too much. Got too little.

But hey, we got a SB out of it.

Bench Player
    Look all this cap talk is nonsense, at the end of the day you gotta take being a fan as taking a ride. We have been at the top of the coaster for two championships in recent years and inevitably you have to come down from there. These new moves of releasing Bradshaw etc. although the logic may confound and be difficult to take emotionally, its a ride. I want to win every game the Giants play but really its about seeing what we field this coming year personnel wise and their ability to rise to the occasion. If we lose Cruz because of any reason it will be a real bummer but that's all. Its a trip for sure and I'm as excited for this season than maybe even last year. We'll see what happens, I'm betting on good things but time will tell, that's what being a fan is about.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    Every day they wait the price goes up.

I would have re-upped him in mid-2011 at a bargain. As soon as it was clear that 2010 preseason wasn't a fluke... IIRC he had a bust-out in the Eagles game in 2011. You could have had him relatively cheap.

The longer you wait the more expensive he becomes -- and his ego will be hurt as well.

Reese used to be good at resigning guys early at bargain prices, and we'd sign young players long term at below market value. Tuck is a good example, even though he's falling off he's played for years underpaid.
    No offense, but no legitimate businessman, and certainly no legitimate NFL executive, would have signed Cruz to a significant long term deal in the middle of 2011, with only a few good games under his belt. Plus, we have no idea whether Cruz would have signed for a "bargain price" once he realized that 2011 was becoming a break out season for him. I really don't know why he would do that.

The circumstance that we are in with Cruz's contract isn't anybody's fault. In fact, we're in this circumstance because of a great thing -- we signed an undrafted FA who turned out to be one of the best players at his position. I'll take these kinds of problems all day long!

I don't see how any of the players cut were huge losses for the Giants. On the contrary in the case of Boley and Canty it opens up a spot that was fulfilled by overpayed underperforming players for more hungry inexpensive and perhaps talented guys. The only thing we lost was Ahmad's toughness but his ability we did not lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    you just can't be afraid to let guys with huge contracts go. even if you like them. if it doesnt make sense cap wise or they under perform pull the trigger on the release button and now you have a nice chunk of $$$ to spend getting better or filling more than one spot.
    Exactly. +1
    2014 Mock Draft 3.0

Round, Position, Player, School

1) TE, Eric Ebron, UNC
    2) DT/DE, Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame
    3) WR, Jarvis Landry, LSU
    4) DE, Will Clarke, West Virginia
    5) C, Tyler Larsen, Utah State
    5) RB, Storm Johnson, UCF (Compensatory)
    6) OT, Seantrel Henderson, Miami (Prediction)
    UDFA- OLB, Boseko Lokombo, Oregon

With the 12th pick overall,
    the New York Giants select...
    Eric Ebron, Tight End, University of North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by BROADWAYSTORM View Post
    I don't see how any of the players cut were huge losses for the Giants. On the contrary in the case of Boley and Canty it opens up a spot that was fulfilled by overpayed underperforming players for more hungry inexpensive and perhaps talented guys. The only thing we lost was Ahmad's toughness but his ability we did not lose.
    Yes, and the Wilson/Brown duo will gain toughness this offseason.
    2014 Mock Draft 3.0

Round, Position, Player, School

1) TE, Eric Ebron, UNC
    2) DT/DE, Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame
    3) WR, Jarvis Landry, LSU
    4) DE, Will Clarke, West Virginia
    5) C, Tyler Larsen, Utah State
    5) RB, Storm Johnson, UCF (Compensatory)
    6) OT, Seantrel Henderson, Miami (Prediction)
    UDFA- OLB, Boseko Lokombo, Oregon

With the 12th pick overall,
    the New York Giants select...
    Eric Ebron, Tight End, University of North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    I'm not implying that the Giants don't spend enough or don't wish for them to do it but just do it wisely and in a responsable manner .
    The problem though is if you have to spend close to 100% of the cap,and most contracts go up every year, your gonna have to cut players like this every year if the cap doesn't rise to meet your cap needs. This was a real head scratcher when I heard about it during the cba talks. I guess you can just rework contracts of those that are worth it but that's a lot of extra work.

ehh.....most teams that are year in and year out contenders do have cap issues.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    They've had Cruz at a bargain price for three years and are about to do it again if he has to be tendered. That's just how the process works. With the recent releases, I am convinced Reese is going to do everything he can to sign Nicks and Cruz long term. But let's not kid ourselves, Nicks and Cruz have to make good faith efforts in those negotiations.
    Both you guys are right. But players nowadays ( and don't blame them ) play hard ball trying to get the big fat contract , front loaded with huge chunks of guaranteed money . Hey its a business like FO mentions all the time when they let someone walk. So if Cruz really, really wants to stay he has to make like you said a great faith effort to make it hapoen. Thing is " faith " is running thin in the NFL, just ask Ahmad, Chris and Boley. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    Show me a team who doesn't have cap "issues" and I'll show you a perennial basement dweller.
    FML.
    Sincerely,
    Greg Schiano
    Head Coach, Tampa