+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Somewhat disgusted.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatone View Post
    Under the new cba don't all teams have to spend close to 100% of the salary cap? Thought I read that somewhere
    I'm not implying that the Giants don't spend enough or don't wish for them to do it but just do it wisely and in a responsable manner .

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Nope, it keeps the league competitive. It's the team's job to stay within it.
    It's the maneuvers to get you under the cap that are killing teams, and those maneuvers are in so many cases irresponsible in the cap's health in long term. Its easy to understand , in life you have to adjust to your own budget, you can't spend more than your earning.

you just can't be afraid to let guys with huge contracts go. even if you like them. if it doesnt make sense cap wise or they under perform pull the trigger on the release button and now you have a nice chunk of $$$ to spend getting better or filling more than one spot.

Quote Originally Posted by ImElectric2 View Post
    I mean, I get where you're coming from to a point, but I gotta believe Reese and Co. (not to mention MOST competant GMs) look at things years in advance, not just year to year.
    Some of the moves made in recent years seem like they just not seeing things in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    you just can't be afraid to let guys with huge contracts go. even if you like them. if it doesnt make sense cap wise or they under perform pull the trigger on the release button and now you have a nice chunk of $$$ to spend getting better or filling more than one spot.
    You are correct but the truth of the matter is that I can't seem to get accustomed to the " cold " side of the business. I guess thats why I'm not a GM , LOL !

Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    You are correct but the truth of the matter is that I can't seem to get accustomed to the " cold " side of the business. I guess thats why I'm not a GM , LOL !
    yeah its tough, i know iv fired people in my life that i liked. but its business and if a player is due to take up 9 mil in cap space he better be good and low injury risk.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    I love AB but at some point all the foot operations are going to catch up with you. Perhaps the Giants bring him back with a cap friendly deal.
    AB mentioned he was open to it but by the looks of some reports it seems the cuts are final.

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    yeah its tough, i know iv fired people in my life that i liked. but its business and if a player is due to take up 9 mil in cap space he better be good and low injury risk.
    Yep, nature always takes its course, there's always someone better and healthier than you. OUCH !

Banned
    Build a bridge and get over it. As long as we have Eli, we'll be competitive plus Wilson can use the snaps to help boost up his confidence without constantly looking over his shoulder. Besides, Rb's are easy to find and I trust that Reese has a plan. As far as the defense, it's time to rebuild and get younger and get some guys in here who can hopefully stay healthy. You think this is a hard pill to swallow? Imagine being a Pats fan? I thank all the players we lost and I wish them the best... especially Bradshaw.

I'm not so worried about how much the Giants spend as long as they can manipulate the numbers without blowing up the whole team when it comes time to get under the cap. I think, compared to other NFL teams, they have been pretty conservative and actually get more bang for the buck. I believe even if they had a lot of room under the current cap they still wouldn't go after star players and would still bargain shop.

I think this is why I don't enjoy this part of the off season as much because it normally comes down to number crunching. I usually don't pay too much attention until right before the draft. It is kind of like the Winter Meetings in baseball.

+ Reply to Thread