+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Somewhat disgusted.

Free agency and salary caps has done alot to damage loyalty in my opinion. Revolving door of players year to year. Good for parity but I am not a fan of parity.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Lets try the Patriots for one.
    There's always an exception, but they do have the benefit of playing in the AFC East. Getting spotted 6 games a season and winning your division gets you a playoff birth.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Rolle, Canty and Baas?

But they're hardly a perennial basement dweller.

The Giants tried that last season and it didn't work.

As I said, compared to other NFL teams they are pretty conservative. Rolle, Canty and Baas are players that were brought in over a long stretch of time. Other teams usually try to bring in one or two star players a year.

Quote Originally Posted by flashnando View Post
    As much as I loved watching AB play week in and week out, it simply comes down to......Keep AB or make room to sigh Cruz and Nicks. Im sorry but i rather sign both Cruz and Nicks and sacrifice AB. His foot injuries are soon to catch up to him.
    I know that's what everyone's thinking, but can we (or any team) afford to lock up that much money on 2 WR's of the caliber of Nicks and Cruz? I'd pay one or the other, but trade one of them for draft picks regardless of AB.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    He could have locked him up early at a bargain price, which is something that was done quite often when he took over from Accorsi.

I'm all kinds of shocked that we've handled Cruz the way we have.
    The reason Reese couldn't signed Cruz early as well as other young talent players on the team is because he's been draging to much cap money year in and year out restructuring so many deals. That been said the Giants depend alot on developing their own players to fill the void when vets leave for " greener pastures "

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    The reason Reese couldn't signed Cruz early as well as other young talent players on the team is because he's been draging to much cap money year in and year out restructuring so many deals. That been said the Giants depend alot on developing their own players to fill the void when vets leave for " greener pastures "
    The reasons he was restructuring year in and year out is because the clock is ticking on the number of years his franchise QB can play at a high level. You never "sacrifice" a year in the NFL as long as you have a franchise QB. Make the hard cap decisions but keep enough on the field so you can compete for a playoff spot and as the Giants have proven get in and you always have a chance. What you can't do is what the Chargers have done wasting Rivers' pprime with Norv Turner as coach and AJ Smith as GM.

The team that Reese inherited is disappearing rapidly. Lets see what he can build. FA will be the death of the NFL just like the NBA and MLB. Revolving door teams. The hard cap is the only thing keeping the NFL from spinning out of control like the other two leagues. If the hard cap dissapears, the Mara's better open up their wallets or fall far behind. They have always been tight with the dollar.
    Giants fan since '58

Quote Originally Posted by bigjeep View Post
    The team that Reese inherited is disappearing rapidly. Lets see what he can build. FA will be the death of the NFL just like the NBA and MLB. Revolving door teams. The hard cap is the only thing keeping the NFL from spinning out of control like the other two leagues. If the hard cap dissapears, the Mara's better open up their wallets or fall far behind. They have always been tight with the dollar.
    The current Plan A Free Agency was implemented in 1993 and the game has gained in popularity. I don't think Free Agency will have any negative effect any time soon.

Was it some poor mismanagement? Yes. However, I'm hardly going to codify Reese with some of the GMs of habitual losing teams. The Jets hired Tannenbaum for his reputation as a "capologist". Not only was that an epic failure of cap management, but that team also went through years of talent deprivation as well. While inflated and perhaps overpaid, at least the players signed to their deals played their roles on a team that won a Superbowl.

These large contracts are easy to blast in hindsight. However, there was also the CBA mess that drastically altered the cap once a new agreement was made.

Lastly, yes it's hard to keep players. It becomes even harder when you strike more success in the drafts as talent is expensive to keep in the FA era. The starting 22 of this past season had 7 players not drafted by the Giants. That includes Antrel Rolle, Chris Canty, Michael Boley, Kevin Boothe, David Baas, Martellus Bennett and Eli himself, who was technically drafted by the Chargers. The teams that consist of predominantly drafted starters include teams like Green Bay, Baltimore and SF. Those teams are bottom of the barrel correct? The last two SB teams are losing players as well due to their own cap restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    I've been a life long Giants fan ( 30 plus years and counting ) always been proud of this franchise and by God always will. I've seen through out the years tough FO personnel decisions made, Bavaro, Banks, Pepper Johnson, Burt, Jesse Armstead and the list goes on and on, all those decision based on contract disputes, injury issues and when FA era started the calls got tougher not only for the Giants but for all NFL teams. But one thing I would HATE seeing happening to this franchise in relation to the FO is decisions made by the presence of a $hi....ty salary cap situation inflated in the first place by the own team with irresponsible managment. I've always mocked teams that have lived all their lives under bad administrations putting their franchise at the bottom of salary caps by awful financial decisions , the Raiders amoung others are the laughing-stock of the NFL in this regard and year in and year out they keep it up. Reese has a difficult job no different compared with other GMs around the league but I can't seem to put this bad taste out of my mouth right now thinking that in a very good part this hard decisions cutting players have been taken based on awful cap managment ( huge contracts with no intentions to fulfill, constant contract restructuring asked for some players, etc ) . If this Is going to be a rough ride to keep us out of cap hell? Then fine but I don't want this to become a trend for the future, living in cap hell by the result of bad managment. Those, my two cents. Go Giants!
    I'll say again: 4 out of the last 6 Super Bowl winners--Giants, Steelers, Saints, Giants--entered this off season over the cap. And a 5th SB winner, the Ravens, are currently under, but if you think they are not facing "living in cap hell" once they sign a huge contract with Flacco by this coming August at latest, you are living in Fantasy Land.

Additionally, the Packers are a mere $5.8 mil below the cap this off season and facing some hard roster choices this off season as well, just like the rest of us, in order to stay under.

Additionally, 3 of the last 6 SB losers--Cardinals, Steelers, and Forty Niners--are above the cap this off season.

Are you thinking the Steelers, Saints (both of whom are more over the cap than the Giants), Forty Niners, Packers are all "living in cap hell by the result of bad management" and as a result, they have no chance of returning to the SB in the next year or two, or three? Just the Giants are "guilty" of "bad management by virtue of bumping up against the cap ceiling most recent years?

It's not the fact of being at or over the cap limit each year that is at issue, or that matters.. It's how well a team consistently (or not) deals with the limit that matters.

I'd say the Giants, Steelers, Saints, Packers in particular have over the past 6 years done a good-to-superior job of handling the cap issues, while other teams like the Jets (currently highest over the cap, by $23 mil) and Cowboys ($21+ mil over) have consistently not handled their cap issues well.
    Last edited by gmen46; 02-10-2013 at 05:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread