+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are these cuts the start of a mini rebuilding?

I was thinking about the cuts recently, and while it's obvious that the guys cut thus far is due to salary cap and the team trying to make space to sign cruz and nicks, I was thinking that maybe Reese is looking to do a mini rebuild.

The team has consistently hung between 8-8 and 10-6 for the past 4 years, and that consistency kind of shows where this team stands in terms of strength. For the past two seasons they've done creative things with not resigning guys and extending others to allow the team to maintain a competitive status quo, not really gaining or losing anything. And those restructurings are starting to come due.

I'm thinking that Reese may see that it's time for a retooling of the team and a true roster shake-up. Clear some significant cap space. And maybe look at taking a 1 year step back to set the team up for another big push in the following seasons. Afterall, this current group of players have pretty much shown that they're a 8-8 - 10-6 team that can get hot at the right time, but is not consistent enough to make the playoffs.

Anyone else think this could be a direction the team goes in?
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post
    I was thinking about the cuts recently, and while it's obvious that the guys cut thus far is due to salary cap and the team trying to make space to sign cruz and nicks, I was thinking that maybe Reese is looking to do a mini rebuild.

The team has consistently hung between 8-8 and 10-6 for the past 4 years, and that consistency kind of shows where this team stands in terms of strength. For the past two seasons they've done creative things with not resigning guys and extending others to allow the team to maintain a competitive status quo, not really gaining or losing anything. And those restructurings are starting to come due.

I'm thinking that Reese may see that it's time for a retooling of the team and a true roster shake-up. Clear some significant cap space. And maybe look at taking a 1 year step back to set the team up for another big push in the following seasons. Afterall, this current group of players have pretty much shown that they're a 8-8 - 10-6 team that can get hot at the right time, but is not consistent enough to make the playoffs.

Yes, and I think it's the right direction to go in - there has just been way too much inconsistency w/this team in the reg season over the last 5-6 seasons or so. I know they made 2 fantastic playoff runs that led to SB's, but it's remarkable to me how flat and sloppy the Giants teams' have been at times over these particular years.

I think we are re-loading more than re-building.

Boley didn't start the last three games last year, Canty is always hurt, and Bradshaw, as tough as he is, has a chronic foot problem.

Use the money on younger, faster, cheaper guys.

It's part of the NFL - you can;t be sentimental.

We have JPP, Tuck, Rolle, Amukamara, Hosely, David Wilson, Cruz, Nicks, and Eli as a Nucleus.

Build around those guys, and we will be good.

We really won't know until we see the make up of the final 53. But, and as much as I liked all three guys cut, it's not like we cut, ELi, Nicks, and Cruz. If we weren't buried in CAP hell who knows if they would have been released. But the CAP situation was not going to get better if we kept doing what we've been doing.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post

I sure view this as a rebuilding mode on the defensive side. The rebuilding in the O-side began some years ago cutting or releasing some O-line vets and may continue if they let Deihl walk.

Starter
    I trust the management. They want to win as much as we do.

Bench Player
    It should not be a rebuild, but a reload situation. We will now find out how successful the previous 3 drafts have been. If the lockerroom already has replacement starters, the giants will remain competitive. They have to get more speed and agility at de, to handle the pistol. However, that offense will only be used by a few teams, and the way Baltimore handled the pistol in the sb, it may not be that great of a factor, in future defensive schemes. The giants defense revolves around a great pass rush. Without a pass rush, any defensive backfield will suffer. Keep Beatty, keep Cruz, find a right tackle for the offense and get defensive linemen that will make the pass rush better, and in turn, the defensive backfield.The Giants need, either through the draft of fa, a solid inside tackle, a defensive end to replace Osi, who has lost his quickness, and was terrible against the run. Tuck gets a year, grace period to regain his playing potential, but, is on the bubble, if he cannot get back to form. The draft and fa plan must be: 1. keep Eli upright and with time to throw, 2: make the pass rush, run stopping better. Lack of defensive sacks, lack of a running game, and pass completion % in the red zone, tell the story.

Youth movement

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Ribs View Post
    I think we are re-loading more than re-building.

Boley didn't start the last three games last year, Canty is always hurt, and Bradshaw, as tough as he is, has a chronic foot problem.

Use the money on younger, faster, cheaper guys.

It's part of the NFL - you can;t be sentimental.

We have JPP, Tuck, Rolle, Amukamara, Hosely, David Wilson, Cruz, Nicks, and Eli as a Nucleus.

Build around those guys, and we will be good.
    I have to agree with you here. I think it is more a re-loading than a re-building time for us. We have a good nucleus and we have some young guys to fill roles that were just vacated and I think what we will see out of neccisity, is that rookies and 2nd year guys will get more playing time this upcoming season. I am confident we will be competittive again and make playoffs. That is all we can ask for and see what happens from there.

Quote Originally Posted by PennState1 View Post
    Youth movement
    with cheaper salaries
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo