+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will Jerrel Jernigan have a bigger role at WR next season?

I remember the coaches and beat reporters were raving about him in training camp but then we never saw him really. was he just buried on the depth chart by cruz, nicks, hixon, randle, barden? supposedly he was picking up the offense much better in practice. with his talent and quickness, can we expect a larger role for him in the slot?

I think so. The Giants appeared to be working him into the offense more. He's an asset to any offense cause he can line-up anywhere...out of the backfield, go deep, bubble screen, etc.. We saw a little bit of it towards the end of the season when he was used on a reverse.

I was glad to see Gilbride finally taking advantage of his skillset...even if it was just a play here and there. I think he can be a real weapon in this offense.

Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    I think so. The Giants appeared to be working him into the offense more. He's an asset to any offense cause he can line-up anywhere...out of the backfield, go deep, bubble screen, etc.. We saw a little bit of it towards the end of the season when he was used on a reverse.

I was glad to see Gilbride finally taking advantage of his skillset...even if it was just a play here and there. I think he can be a real weapon in this offense.
    +1. Speedy and shifty.

Veteran
    retirement home in Dallas (my son married a Texas gal. Woe is me)
    He has the skill set of Percy Harvin.
    Last edited by Giants5699; 02-07-2013 at 06:27 PM.

He may not have a breakout season but if given the opportunity I think he will be a major contributor. He is 4.4 fast, with shake and bait moves. He is slippery and a tough kid with good hands. He had some punt drops but has held on to everything that has hit his hands from the WR position. He was used a bit more toward the end of the season. We need to be optimistic about his potential. He was a pain in the butt for opposing defenses in college whether it was vs. Marshall and Florida Atlantic or South Carolona and Florida State. He excelled no matter who the competition was. if we loose Cruz JJ may get his shot to strut his stuff. If Cruz remains JJ will get a more limited active role.

JJ may have a role as a returner since Hixon is getting a little old to take on that burden with his repaired knees.

Don't know about JJ as a receiver, too much talent ahead of him in the depth chart more than anything. JJ needs to build some rapport with Eli before he can even sniff the football in a game. Hang out with Eli in the summer like Cruz did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNYGiants View Post
    Don't know about JJ as a receiver, too much talent ahead of him in the depth chart more than anything. JJ needs to build some rapport with Eli before he can even sniff the football in a game. Hang out with Eli in the summer like Cruz did last year.
    Eli had some very nice things to say about Jerrel Jernigan as a receiver during 2012 camp including "I'm seeing some flashes of brilliance".

http://www.giants101.com/2012/07/29/...of-brilliance/

That depends on who else is ahead of him and how many chances he gets.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

It largely depends on what happens with Cruz. I'm not saying that JJ would be able to replace Cruz's production single-handedly by any means, but I'm not too worried if we lose Cruz in FA because we have Jernigan waiting in the wings. I'm not going to fall for that again after Steve Smith. Also if Cruz goes, we can get a 1st round pick. Not a bad deal from where i'm standing. Still would miss Cruz immensely, but it's not the end of the world.

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

It's hard for me to say. I haven't seen him make any big plays at the WR position.