+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Somewhat disgusted.

I've been a life long Giants fan ( 30 plus years and counting ) always been proud of this franchise and by God always will. I've seen through out the years tough FO personnel decisions made, Bavaro, Banks, Pepper Johnson, Burt, Jesse Armstead and the list goes on and on, all those decision based on contract disputes, injury issues and when FA era started the calls got tougher not only for the Giants but for all NFL teams. But one thing I would HATE seeing happening to this franchise in relation to the FO is decisions made by the presence of a $hi....ty salary cap situation inflated in the first place by the own team with irresponsible managment. I've always mocked teams that have lived all their lives under bad administrations putting their franchise at the bottom of salary caps by awful financial decisions , the Raiders amoung others are the laughing-stock of the NFL in this regard and year in and year out they keep it up. Reese has a difficult job no different compared with other GMs around the league but I can't seem to put this bad taste out of my mouth right now thinking that in a very good part this hard decisions cutting players have been taken based on awful cap managment ( huge contracts with no intentions to fulfill, constant contract restructuring asked for some players, etc ) . If this Is going to be a rough ride to keep us out of cap hell? Then fine but I don't want this to become a trend for the future, living in cap hell by the result of bad managment. Those, my two cents. Go Giants!

Yeah it's concerning, but Reese's cap management has resulted a Super Bowl.
    What happens now will be a real test of his abilities, though. This team is starting to get to the point where it could quite easily slip into the dark ages.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    I've been a life long Giants fan ( 30 plus years and counting ) always been proud of this franchise and by God always will. I've seen through out the years tough FO personnel decisions made, Bavaro, Banks, Pepper Johnson, Burt, Jesse Armstead and the list goes on and on, all those decision based on contract disputes, injury issues and when FA era started the calls got tougher not only for the Giants but for all NFL teams. But one thing I would HATE seeing happening to this franchise in relation to the FO is decisions made by the presence of a $hi....ty salary cap situation inflated in the first place by the own team with irresponsible managment. I've always mocked teams that have lived all their lives under bad administrations putting their franchise at the bottom of salary caps by awful financial decisions , the Raiders amoung others are the laughing-stock of the NFL in this regard and year in and year out they keep it up. Reese has a difficult job no different compared with other GMs around the league but I can't seem to put this bad taste out of my mouth right now thinking that in a very good part this hard decisiatons cutting players have been taken based on awful cap managment ( huge contracts with no intentions to fulfill, constant contract restructuring asked for some players, etc ) . If this Is going to be a rough ride to keep us out of cap hell? Then fine but I don't want this to become a trend for the future, living in cap hell by the result of bad managment. Those, my two cents. Go Giants!
    Great post. As Al Pacino said in Any Given Sunday. " Thatís football guys. Thatís all it is. Now, whattaya gonna do?

Unfortunately it is part of the business and it happens to teams that draft well and develop their players. These deals are made not knowing what will happen in the future. There is no way that Reese could a account for a guy like Cruz becoming what he has.

At the end of the day NFL contracts are not guaranteed and until they are cutting players before their contracts expire are part of the business.
    Last edited by ozzie0075; 02-06-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    I've been a life long Giants fan ( 30 plus years and counting ) always been proud of this franchise and by God always will. I've seen through out the years tough FO personnel decisions made, Bavaro, Banks, Pepper Johnson, Burt, Jesse Armstead and the list goes on and on, all those decision based on contract disputes, injury issues and when FA era started the calls got tougher not only for the Giants but for all NFL teams. But one thing I would HATE seeing happening to this franchise in relation to the FO is decisions made by the presence of a $hi....ty salary cap situation inflated in the first place by the own team with irresponsible managment. I've always mocked teams that have lived all their lives under bad administrations putting their franchise at the bottom of salary caps by awful financial decisions , the Raiders amoung others are the laughing-stock of the NFL in this regard and year in and year out they keep it up. Reese has a difficult job no different compared with other GMs around the league but I can't seem to put this bad taste out of my mouth right now thinking that in a very good part this hard decisions cutting players have been taken based on awful cap managment ( huge contracts with no intentions to fulfill, constant contract restructuring asked for some players, etc ) . If this Is going to be a rough ride to keep us out of cap hell? Then fine but I don't want this to become a trend for the future, living in cap hell by the result of bad managment. Those, my two cents. Go Giants!
    Well said G-Men surg. Two cents well spent. +1
    2014 Our Picks "Don't you just love this draft?! "#Sexy
    Round, Player, Position

1) Pick- Odell Beckham Jr.! /WR
    2) Pick- Weston Richburg /C
    3) Pick- Jay Bromley /DT
    4) Pick- Andre Williams! /RB
    5) Pick- Nat Berhe! /SS
    5) Pick- Devon Kennard /LB (Comp.)
    6) Pick- Bennett Jackson /CB

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    I'm not sure with whom you are angry. The GM's job is to put as many of the best players he can get, on the team. To get pissed at a guy for finding so many gems seems unfair. The Giants have found and developed a lot of great talent. Now He's trying to keep as much as he can. I think the biggest problem is guys being torn between wanting to stay with a great organization and getting a huge payday. Reese is using every trick in the book to keep talent on board. If we didn't have such a great organization, these guys would not have restructured.

Changing personnel is part of the league now.
    As much as it hurts to say good bye, we will loose good players. Let's see what the off season brings before we hang anyone.
    Last edited by GiantRoc; 02-06-2013 at 10:08 PM.

I mean, I get where you're coming from to a point, but I gotta believe Reese and Co. (not to mention MOST competant GMs) look at things years in advance, not just year to year.

Granted, there's certain things that can't always be accounted for, but when you look at something like the Canty signing. People were all over Reese and mad about the money etc, but at the end of the day that move was instrumental in our title run last year.

Same could be said for the bounty given up for Eli. "Oh! The franchise has been mortaged for one guy! We could have had Merriman! Etc etc." Then we were stuck drafting a RB in the 7th round prior to the 2007 season and we expect that guy to contribute....oh wait...that was Bradshaw...who we're all up in arms about (note* I LOVE Ahmad and am heartbroken he's gone, but if we didn't see this writing on the wall prior to this most recent surgery we were just kidding ourselves...heck, we almost let him walk before the new contract. Didn't we bring in Snelling as a possible replacement??)

The point is, people get in a frenzy about putting off payments or trading picks, etc but the truth is you take what you can now that you know you need and cross certain bridges when you get there. I bet if Canty wasn't hurt and playing to the top of his ability consistantly we would not have made the cut. Same with Bradshaw. Truth is, they weren't so they're gone.

Its sort of like the adage of "1 in the hand worth 2 in the bush."

I dunno, I could keep going, but I feel my point is made.

And all that's not to say I'm not sad. I like Canty a lot too (even despite the smack that gets talked about him around here from time to time). You just got evolve with the team as it grows and sheds dead weight....even if you felt like that weight had become family.

Uhm. We have 2 SBs in the JR era. And all teams have to weasel their way around the cap. It's not just us. Every team has salary cap casualties. Not just us. Every team restructures. I don't see what all the fuss is about. People talk about how great JR's drafts are, but one thing that is never mentioned is the moves JR did NOT make out of panic.

One such case is when Burress shot himself. The entire board was clamoring for a free agent signing i.e. Braylon Edwards. What did JR do? He drafted a very inexpensive WR named Hakeem Nicks.

Show me a team who doesn't have cap "issues" and I'll show you a perennial basement dweller.
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, ď**** waffles.Ē......G Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    Show me a team who doesn't have cap "issues" and I'll show you a perennial basement dweller.
    Agreed when you win you have good players that demand higher contracts. Simple as that.