+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for some of you about keeping Corey Webster

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by JJC7301 View Post
    +1. I'm willing to bet that it was an off year for Webster due to injuries and whatever else. $7M is not bad for a very good CB, which is what Web was before last year. There's not enough proven depth at the position to get rid of him yet.
    He is in no way worth 7 mill this year.... Your telling me we can't get a better corner back in free agency this year and pay him around 7 mill???

All-Pro
    He much would they save if they cut him?

it has nothing to even do with just one year but also that he is due a lot of money. He is not worth 7 mil, we could get same production for like 2-3 mil easily.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluetribe View Post
    it has nothing to even do with just one year but also that he is due a lot of money. He is not worth 7 mil, we could get same production for like 2-3 mil easily.
    The same production as this past year? Yes. The same production as '10 or '11, probably not. That would be more in the $5m-$8m range.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
    He is in no way worth 7 mill this year.... Your telling me we can't get a better corner back in free agency this year and pay him around 7 mill???
    I'd try to get him to take a cut, but would keep him at 7M if necessary for one 1-YR. I'm paying him for 1 more year based on what he's proven in his career. He's not old.

How do we know that we can get a better corner in the draft? Someone who's ready to start from day 1 opposite Prince?

Web had 4 or 5 excellent years in a row. I'm not going to destroy what's left of any depth that we have in the secondary.

Bench Player
    Webster hasn't been perenially bad. This year was his first year since his early years of really being BAD. There are some on the board who believe that for every dollar we cut, we'll have an equal amount to spend in free agency, which is just not the case. We just cut Bradshaw, Canty, and Boley to get under the cap by all of what, 3 million? Cut Webster and we assume another five or so comes off. We have to sign our LT, top two WRs to extensions, and at least one offensive lineman. Corners are a premiere position, so another good corner will NOT be cheap.

Simply put:

1. The options for replacing Webster without spending more than what he's costing us cap wise are not plentiful. There is no Brandon Carr on the market this year.

2. Webster is only one year removed from a pretty friggin good season. A season where he covered some of the league's best and more than held his own. It is not out of the realm of possibility that he can return to form in a contract year.

3. Shortcomings in the secondary can be symptomatic of other issues, such as lack of a pass rush. I think there were times this year where this was clearly the case on our team. Bolstering the pass rush, which is something Reese is clearly going to look to do regardless could become a natural cure all.

4. Even if you believe there are free agents better than Webster, they could decide to sign elsewhere, forcing us to overpay. At the end of the day, a seven million dollar cap hit for a CB that has been a #1 and could get back there is not that bad at all.

5. There are two CBs that rate out to be first rounders this year in the draft. I'm a big fan of Xavier Rhodes, and wouldn't be upset if he is our pick at all, but this isn't a particularly deep class of CBs. You can always find some in later rounds, but usually with size or technique issues that make them vulnerable in their early years. See: Jayron Hosley.

6. You don't get rid of corners, ends, offensive tackles, or wide receivers. Some on this board have pointed to Chris Gamble, who has a cap number of what, 9 million, is coming off of a knee injury, and Carolina is STILL trying to keep him. Premium position. You can't have enough good corners.

Why are we in such a rush to get rid of Webster. I understand he was very bad this year, but he could rebound. It's not out of the realm of possibility at all.
    Last edited by Sosynciere; 02-08-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sosynciere View Post
    Webster hasn't been perenially bad. This year was his first year since his early years of really being BAD. There are some on the board who believe that for every dollar we cut, we'll have an equal amount to spend in free agency, which is just not the case. We just cut Bradshaw, Canty, and Boley to get under the cap by all of what, 3 million? Cut Webster and we assume another five or so comes off. We have to sign our LT, top two WRs to extensions, and at least one offensive lineman. Corners are a premiere position, so another good corner will NOT be cheap.

Simply put:

1. The options for replacing Webster without spending more than what he's costing us cap wise are not plentiful. There is no Brandon Carr on the market this year.

2. Webster is only one year removed from a pretty friggin good season. A season where he covered some of the league's best and more than held his own. It is not out of the realm of possibility that he can return to form in a contract year.

3. Shortcomings in the secondary can be symptomatic of other issues, such as lack of a pass rush. I think there were times this year where this was clearly the case on our team. Bolstering the pass rush, which is something Reese is clearly going to look to do regardless could become a natural cure all.

4. Even if you believe there are free agents better than Webster, they could decide to sign elsewhere, forcing us to overpay. At the end of the day, a seven million dollar cap hit for a CB that has been a #1 and could get back there is not that bad at all.

5. There are two CBs that rate out to be first rounders this year in the draft. I'm a big fan of Xavier Rhodes, and wouldn't be upset if he is our pick at all, but this isn't a particularly deep class of CBs. You can always find some in later rounds, but usually with size or technique issues that make them vulnerable in their early years. See: Jayron Hosley.

Why are we in such a rush to get rid of Webster. I understand he was very bad this year, but he could rebound. It's not out of the realm of possibility at all.
    Well said.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by JJC7301 View Post
    I'd try to get him to take a cut, but would keep him at 7M if necessary for one 1-YR. I'm paying him for 1 more year based on what he's proven in his career. He's not old.

How do we know that we can get a better corner in the draft? Someone who's ready to start from day 1 opposite Prince?

Web had 4 or 5 excellent years in a row. I'm not going to destroy what's left of any depth that we have in the secondary.
    i do see what your saying about drafting a corner we don't know what were going to get, not only that we don't even play our rookies..... but we could get a better cornerback for that much money for 1 or most likely even less then that for one year in free agency easily. He really isnt worth that much money and he was never really amazing I would never consider him top 10 corner in the league, not only that he had to be considered 1 of the worse last year, and yes I know he was injured

Starter
    Yes you guys are right in saying last year was his first real bad year

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sosynciere View Post

Simply put:

6. You don't get rid of corners, ends, offensive tackles, or wide receivers. Some on this board have pointed to Chris Gamble, who has a cap number of what, 9 million, is coming off of a knee injury, and Carolina is STILL trying to keep him. Premium position. You can't have enough good corners.

+2

+ Reply to Thread