+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Question for some of you about keeping Corey Webster

I can play corner...

all I need is a mustache and i'm good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    I can play corner...

all I need is a mustache and i'm good to go.
    Are you German? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sosynciere View Post
    We can't just cut him without having a plan on how to get better. We cut Ahmad because we have TWO good, young backs to replace him. We cut Canty because we have Linval who played very well, and another young DT in Austin. We cut Boley knowing we have Jacquain coming back. All of those positions are on the field one at a time.

In a pass-heavy league, we need THREE good corners available as many as HALF of our defensive snaps. At least when people talk about running backs, they have viable options that can be pointed to: Jacobs, Bush, Greene, etc...

Where are the viable options for corners on this year's market? I can see Brent Grimes, who was very good in 2011, but barely played because of injury this year, just like Gamble, and Talib, who has so many off the field issues I'm not sure anyone is going to pony up for him. Add to that he's already in the Patriots system and has indicated he would like to stay....... Where are the options?

Good, not great cornerbacks get 6-7 million. That's what Sean Smith in Miami is asking for. Exactly, who?!

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2013/fa/db.html

http://nfltraderumors.co/2013-nfl-free-agents/

I like nfltraderumors.co but if you look at the list for cornerbacks, I don't see any slam dunk guys who will CLEARLY be better than Webster next year. Anyone who would, is going to cost at least 5 million. How do you replace him?
    If we got a guy that would give us the level of production we normally see from Webster, then we'd save $2m by cutting Webster and signing that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JJC7301 View Post
    I'd try to get him to take a cut, but would keep him at 7M if necessary for one 1-YR. I'm paying him for 1 more year based on what he's proven in his career. He's not old.

How do we know that we can get a better corner in the draft? Someone who's ready to start from day 1 opposite Prince?

Web had 4 or 5 excellent years in a row. I'm not going to destroy what's left of any depth that we have in the secondary.
    great post.

this could be slump and he could play better.

i'd rather see one more year with webby than go out in the market and overpay (because you overpay for everything in the NFL unless its a 1 yr deal) for some guy that another team doesn't want.

Veteran
    Webster's situation is similar to Osi's last year. You get 1 final year out of him and then you know he's gone. Didn't work out so well with Osi last year. Web is one of my favorite Giants but he was terrible last year. I believe in the adage to get rid of him a year too early rather than a year too late. Only problem is no replacement is on the horizon. I think he stays.

I was never a Webster fan.........HOWEVER.......this was the first year he did not play up to his potential. He isn't a shut-down corner...but Webster has proven time and time again that he can hold his own with top receivers. He's had great games, (albeit he does get burned), but to cut him, I think with his veteran status would be foolish. With Prince coming to his own, and Web on the other side, Hosley in waiting, I think '13 will be a great secondary year for the jints.

And Sam Madison was a safety.
    I miss Red Hook!

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn1028 View Post
    I was never a Webster fan.........HOWEVER.......this was the first year he did not play up to his potential. He isn't a shut-down corner...but Webster has proven time and time again that he can hold his own with top receivers. He's had great games, (albeit he does get burned), but to cut him, I think with his veteran status would be foolish. With Prince coming to his own, and Web on the other side, Hosley in waiting, I think '13 will be a great secondary year for the jints.

And Sam Madison was a safety.
    +1

what year haven't we had at least 2 corners go down at the same time with injuries?

without webby we've got prince and hosely (i'm not holding my breath on TT at all).

after that, we'll have corners that only we rabid fans will know the names of.

we can't play in our division with a potential no name starting at corner.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
    +1

what year haven't we had at least 2 corners go down at the same time with injuries?

without webby we've got prince and hosely (i'm not holding my breath on TT at all).

after that, we'll have corners that only we rabid fans will know the names of.

we can't play in our division with a potential no name starting at corner.
    Also, something that may help out... I think if we match CB on receivers (instead of going L/R), Prince very well see more time matching up against the other team's number 1.

Starter
    If we get tough agian up front everything else will work itself out. We need to get big and strong at defensive talke and make sure our offensive line can hold it's own against anybody.

Toaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurio View Post
    JR is the GIANTS GM as TC is the coach and Eli is the QB. Support them.
    Couldn't have said it better.

+ Reply to Thread