+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Question for some of you about keeping Corey Webster

Starter
    let me ask you guys this though..... how much you think we could pick up Sean Smith from the Dolphins for 1 or 2 years?? I'm guessing the same or less I could be wrong though what are your guys thoughts?

Bench Player
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
    let me ask you guys this though..... how much you think we could pick up Sean Smith from the Dolphins for 1 or 2 years?? I'm guessing the same or less I could be wrong though what are your guys thoughts?
    There are reports that Smith wants the same deal McCourtey got from the Titans: 5 years, 43 million.

That's an average of 8 million a year, there'll be a signing bonus that would most likely be prorated across the life of the contract, and possibly a low cap number this year, but heavier on the latter years. Using the typical formula, Smith could get a deal with a cap number as low as 3 million. I get that number assuming a big bonus of ten million at the outset, which would be prorated over five years for two million a year including the first year, plus a modest base salary of say 900,000. I'm not a capologist, and maybe someone can correct any false pretenses I've made, but the Giants would definitely have to see Smith as a long term fit to offer something like this.

Answering the question posed, if he's asking for five years, is young and good, what possible reason would he have for accepting a deal for 1 or 2 years? Some of Webster's money would be dead money, but if you're sure your getting the better player, in the above scenario, he may cost the same amount for NEXT year, but would be signed long term, with the organization having to pay out a significant amount up front. This is why the Giants don't give out big free agent deals, and are less likely to give out as big a bonus as the ten million I've used here.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sosynciere View Post
    There are reports that Smith wants the same deal McCourtey got from the Titans: 5 years, 43 million.

That's an average of 8 million a year, there'll be a signing bonus that would most likely be prorated across the life of the contract, and possibly a low cap number this year, but heavier on the latter years. Using the typical formula, Smith could get a deal with a cap number as low as 3 million. I get that number assuming a big bonus of ten million at the outset, which would be prorated over five years for two million a year including the first year, plus a modest base salary of say 900,000. I'm not a capologist, and maybe someone can correct any false pretenses I've made, but the Giants would definitely have to see Smith as a long term fit to offer something like this.

Answering the question posed, if he's asking for five years, is young and good, what possible reason would he have for accepting a deal for 1 or 2 years? Some of Webster's money would be dead money, but if you're sure your getting the better player, in the above scenario, he may cost the same amount for NEXT year, but would be signed long term, with the organization having to pay out a significant amount up front. This is why the Giants don't give out big free agent deals, and are less likely to give out as big a bonus as the ten million I've used here.
    well there's my answer haha... Yea i didn't have any idea what he was asking but Yea the signing bonus would kill us, and like you said he's looking for a long term deal

+ Reply to Thread