+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for some of you about keeping Corey Webster

All-Pro
    The thing that makes his bad year even worse is that he is getting older. If he has a bad year after having a good three years and was only 27 you would say he has a good chance of bouncing back. Maybe he will. Some games he was bad and others where he gave up plays where simply perfect throws and catches by the opponent while he had good position.

Webby will come to camp refocused, healthy and ready to play, making this discussion a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Webby will come to camp refocused, healthy and ready to play, making this discussion a moot point.
    a man can dream I guess.

The scheme he is in does not suit him or the rest of our dbs.

Lack of production on the line might have had something to do with this. Think that the Draft is a good way to go in this case...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    Can u expand on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    Can u expand on that? I mean its the same defense from 2011 and he played really well

My ideal situation would have been to let Webster play out his final year, while simultaneously drafting his replacement.

First off, people like to throw out his cap number. The enlarged cap hit of 9+ mil is a byproduct of Reese restructuring on a backloaded contract. A contract of 7mil per year is a great contract given that the corner market today is yielding contracts of 10+mil per year for #1 starters. Corners are expensive. Even a middle tier corner in FA will be a significant purchase with no certainty that the position will be upgraded much as they acclimate to a new system.

Secondly, I'd love to draft his replacement, but I certainly do not want that to be the immediate fix. Regardless of the prospect, cornerback is perhaps the hardest defensive position to transition to from the collegiate level. Just looking at Giants previous history of drafting, selecting a natural talent while still having the luxury of easing them in is a blessing. Even just one year of Webster can be an invaluable asset that most don't have the foresight to appreciate. I was amazed [well not really in this board] at how many people wanted to see Hosley, despite him having a statistically worse season than Webster. He played in off zone almost exclusively at Virginia Tech. He still has a long transition ahead of him.

Lastly, it all comes down to Webster the player. I am in no way sympathizing for him. However, his game was never predicated on strength or speed so it's not as if his tools have diminished. Rather, his play as a corner was always predicated on how well he was mirroring his receiver, which he was more than proficient in the past. For whatever reason, he was having some mental lapses in coverage that veteran corners just don't don't have. I believe these can be amended. Whether Webster does or not is on him and Giunta.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Lack of production on the line might have had something to do with this. Think that the Draft is a good way to go in this case...
    we have what is considered one of the best lines in the league for years now, don't blame it on the line when there are other teams in this league that don't have a pass rush even close to ours and their coners cover just fine. obviously Revis is way better but the Jets have no pass rush. QBs picked on CWebb all year he was terrible. Don't blame it on the line

Starter
    Also those of you who want to blame his bad play on the line then Y don't you think that his good play was because our line was so great the years before???. I think he was exposed and because our pass rush wasn't what it was the year before he showed how average he is

+ Reply to Thread