+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 94 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 935

Thread: We're not keeping Cruz, no way.

  1. #881
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    That doesn't make sense.
    Um...yeah....

  2. #882
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Seriously, if that's their plan, they may as well just agree to terms for a long term contract as they are admitting his worth with that strategy and purposely screwing with him. That would surprise me.
    Just pointing out that the Giants have the leverage really. I hope they signed both long term...

  3. #883
    All-Pro B&RWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    7,835
    Quote Originally Posted by PRGiant View Post
    Just pointing out that the Giants have the leverage really. I hope they signed both long term...
    How can you possibly state with any certainty who has the leverage in these negotiations? We don't know how much Cruz is willing to play for another team and we don't know what team is willing to give Cruz the world and give up a first rounder to have Cruz join their franchise. I don't think this is a negotiation where the Giants FO holds the cards. I would love to sit in this negotiation. I love this stuff. This is just like finance. JR may have the best job in the world.

  4. #884
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95,386
    Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    How can you possibly state with any certainty who has the leverage in these negotiations? We don't know how much Cruz is willing to play for another team and we don't know what team is willing to give Cruz the world and give up a first rounder to have Cruz join their franchise. I don't think this is a negotiation where the Giants FO holds the cards. I would love to sit in this negotiation. I love this stuff. This is just like finance. JR may have the best job in the world.
    They "hold the cards" because of the ability to place a first round tender. BUT, as with Ballard, plans can backfire and another team can take him away by giving up a first round pick. Were that to happen, the Giants wouldn't be able to match the offer.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  5. #885
    All-Pro B&RWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    7,835
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    They "hold the cards" because of the ability to place a first round tender. BUT, as with Ballard, plans can backfire and another team can take him away by giving up a first round pick. Were that to happen, the Giants wouldn't be able to match the offer.
    Yeah RF that was my point, another team takes our leverage away by being willing to part with a first rounder.

    Are you saying that if they give us the first rounder we won't even have a chance to match their contract offer? We can't make a higher counter offer?

  6. #886
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95,386
    Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Yeah RF that was my point, another team takes our leverage away by being willing to part with a first rounder. Are you saying that if they give us the first rounder we won't even have a chance to match their contract offer? We can't make a higher counter offer?
    They CAN match I say they won't
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  7. #887
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    6,940
    Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Yeah RF that was my point, another team takes our leverage away by being willing to part with a first rounder.

    Are you saying that if they give us the first rounder we won't even have a chance to match their contract offer? We can't make a higher counter offer?
    With a tender you don't have to make a higher counter-offer, you can either choose to match the contract or let them walk. I think the decision depends on the contract offered.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

  8. #888
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95,386
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    With a tender you don't have to make a higher counter-offer, you can either choose to match the contract or let them walk. I think the decision depends on the contract offered.
    John Mara has already made it clear they "won't break the bank" for Cruz. That tells me they likely won't match an offer.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  9. #889
    All-Pro B&RWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    7,835
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    With a tender you don't have to make a higher counter-offer, you can either choose to match the contract or let them walk. I think the decision depends on the contract offered.
    By higher, I meant higher than our previous offer. I'm pretty certain Cruz would pick the Giants given equal offers.

    I want a ceiling put on the money spent on Cruz based on the money we will offer Nicks. Even with the injuries he was clutch in some games just as a possession receiver, and when he's healthy I've only seen 2 CBs (Revis and Asante) that can stay with him one on one. Cruz is a really good slot receiver, but Nicks is special when healthy.

  10. #890
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    6,940
    Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    By higher, I meant higher than our previous offer. I'm pretty certain Cruz would pick the Giants given equal offers.

    I want a ceiling put on the money spent on Cruz based on the money we will offer Nicks. Even with the injuries he was clutch in some games just as a possession receiver, and when he's healthy I've only seen 2 CBs (Revis and Asante) that can stay with him one on one. Cruz is a really good slot receiver, but Nicks is special when healthy.
    Valid question... but once tendered Cruz doesn't have an option if the Giants decide to match, Giants have the first right of refusal. But, your point is well made... we are basically saying the same thing
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts