+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: We're not keeping Cruz, no way.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I know Baas is not well loved, but I don't think he's as big a problem as we think. I am with you +10 on a RT at #1 or 2 and even a RG later in the draft. I see the OLine as a unit more than any other group of players on the team. When you have a weak ling (Diehl) it adversely affects the rest of the line on that side of the ball. So Lane Johnson would be a great pick up for us.
    To be honest, while LT is a very important position in its own right, from what I've heard nowadays, the most important position on the line is actually the C. Not for physical athletic ability (that is still the tackles that need the most beef), but for intelligence. A good Center can coordinate well with his QB to call out protection schemes and identify blitzers, tweak blocking schemes on runs based on what the defense presents, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    You know this how..........
    Because if he put a reasonable contract on the table the giants would have kept talking. They wouldn't have agreed to disagree unless they are very far apart numbers wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    To be honest, while LT is a very important position in its own right, from what I've heard nowadays, the most important position on the line is actually the C. Not for physical athletic ability (that is still the tackles that need the most beef), but for intelligence. A good Center can coordinate well with his QB to call out protection schemes and identify blitzers, tweak blocking schemes on runs based on what the defense presents, etc.
    I think that's true and I also think Baas has been improving in making calls before the snap. Unless he's pointing at the direction he wants Eli to throw?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    You think that's easy... I want to draft Lane Johnson... Also if it weren't a cap hell situation I would cut Baas and draft a C in round 2.

Call me old school but for me it all starts with the lines. Give Eli time to throw and he will make anyone look like an all-pro. Look at what he did in the pro bowl with just that extra second to throw. Look at what he can do with BARDEN THE TERRIBLE in carolina.
    +1 X 25
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

I agree with Slip...it's obvious he's asking for a big contract otherwise the two sides would still be talking. They have to be far off for talks to completely stop

GET WELL SOON

Watch Reese surprise everyone and go grab another WR in the first now...

GET WELL SOON

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Because if he put a reasonable contract on the table the giants would have kept talking. They wouldn't have agreed to disagree unless they are very far apart numbers wise.
    I have to disagree. Reese has 20 + free agents to deal with. He's signed a total of one, Pascoe. That is because they offered him the vet minimum and he agreed, no brainer. There are a few ERFAs who will get three year vet minimum take it or leave it offers so they will either accept the offers or leave the NFL for 2013. There are also players to release, look for reworking existing contracts where players are clearly overpaid, etc. It's not as though the amount of money they will have is static. It's going to change based on what they do with all of those free agents and the players they draft (whose salaries are going to be set in stone via the CBA).

The fact that Reese hasn't given an answer yet is nothing more that strategy. We don't even know when Cruz's handler made their proposal. It's a stretch to say "they aren't talking."
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-31-2013 at 01:15 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by DownWitJPP View Post
    I agree with Slip...it's obvious he's asking for a big contract otherwise the two sides would still be talking. They have to be far off for talks to completely stop
    It's not obvious at all.

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by DownWitJPP View Post
    Watch Reese surprise everyone and go grab another WR in the first now...
    Why would we be "surprised" at any draft pick Reese makes? He doesn't exactly make predictions easy.

# 80

I would assume they offered him a contract similar to what Pitt offered Antonio Brown. 5 year ~$45 million.

I would expect Cruz to be asking for around $13-$15 mil a season.

But since this free agency will be loaded with WRs, TEs and OTs. Might be better letting these guys test FA.

+ Reply to Thread