+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 94 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 935

Thread: We're not keeping Cruz, no way.

  1. #561
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    But they can't both have that much. Reese gets paid big bucks to get and keep talent. He's earning his money this season

    If there is that much separation between Nicks and Cruz (I'm still not sure that's the case) then Nicks is rightly going to demand more. Most folks here seem to think a top 5 - 10 receiver can command $8-10M or more. If they do that for Nicks, Cruz will be gone after 2014 because they won't have the money to keep him IF he has another 1,000+ yard season he will be sought after by a few teams.
    I think the Giants can get Nicks a little cheaper right now because he is coming off an injury. I think rolling the dice on him now can save this team money down the road like Justin Tucks deal.

  2. #562
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
    its just semantics at this point (injury prone vs injury problems), but injuries are a problem with Nicks.

    he can be your #1 priority, and i agree that Nicks is harder to replace than Cruz, but neither is easy to replace.

    Fact of the matter is we can't pay both these wide receivers what they're probably worth on the market and stay under the cap. its just math.

    with a $20 million QB, you can't tie roughly 30% of your cap on 3 players (Eli, Cruz, Nicks = $20, $10, $10, assuming a $125 cap).

    so just like we couldn't keep 3 DEs at starting NFL level salaries (osi, Tuck, JPP), we can't keep both WRs at what they could get on the open market.
    Nicks wont get 10 coming off an injury. A stupid team with trouble selling tickets may give Cruz that much because he brings in fans. If im the Giants I dont think id go higher than 4 -5 years 30- 37 million with 15- 20 guaranteed for Cruz

  3. #563
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    93,124
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
    the difficulty right now is if Nicks can't get and stay healthy, which you have to consider, what should we do? Both of these receivers are made much better playing together, and neither seem to have the ability to play as well alone.

    So how much do you play an often injuried physical tough receiver, and how much do you pay a fast slot receiver who does everything a team could want on and off the field.

    Cruz' agent is doing exactly what i would do in that situation, ask for at least $10 million.

    The Mara comments to the press about Cruz wasn't an accident. That was a "i support Reese and don't believe the hype from your agent that i don't" kinda situation.

    We'll tender him this season. there's no way they work out a deal.

    And that may well end Cruz's time here with the Giants. Everyone is entitled to a fair payday. Cruz hasn't had that for two years due to his contract and that's the way it goes when you're under contract. And while he may not be worth his asking price, whatever that is, he is clearly worth more than the $2.789 M a tender is going to bring him for 2013.

    So, if they can't come to terms, he will be underpaid for the third year in a row and, from his vantage point, that would make 2014 his audition for another team that is willing/able to offer him a contract reflective of his skills. Should he have a third consecutive 1,000+ yard season in 2013, he won't be unemployed.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  4. #564
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    93,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Nicks wont get 10 coming off an injury. A stupid team with trouble selling tickets may give Cruz that much because he brings in fans. If im the Giants I dont think id go higher than 4 -5 years 30- 37 million with 15- 20 guaranteed for Cruz
    5/37 with 20 guaranteed would be a fair offer. They would throw in workout bonuses and incentives to sweeten the deal.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  5. #565
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    93,124
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
    its just semantics at this point (injury prone vs injury problems), but injuries are a problem with Nicks.

    he can be your #1 priority, and i agree that Nicks is harder to replace than Cruz, but neither is easy to replace.

    Fact of the matter is we can't pay both these wide receivers what they're probably worth on the market and stay under the cap. its just math.

    with a $20 million QB, you can't tie roughly 30% of your cap on 3 players (Eli, Cruz, Nicks = $20, $10, $10, assuming a $125 cap).

    so just like we couldn't keep 3 DEs at starting NFL level salaries (osi, Tuck, JPP), we can't keep both WRs at what they could get on the open market
    .

    Sad, but true. However it works out, Reese has made a masterful move pitting Nicks against Cruz. KUDOS to Reese.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 02-04-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  6. #566
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9,313
    Would the Giants be better with Nicks, JJ, and Randle or Cruz, Randle, and JJ?

  7. #567
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Would the Giants be better with Nicks, JJ, and Randle or Cruz, Randle, and JJ?
    Can't really answer that question. We don't really know what Randle will become yet,

  8. #568
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    39,864
    Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    Can't really answer that question. We don't really know what Randle will become yet,
    I think we have a pretty good idea though that he has a very high floor.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  9. #569
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I think we have a pretty good idea though that he has a very high floor.
    Agree. That's what they may be thinking. Keep Nicks and hope he stays healthy, see Randle become the player they where so happy o draft, and get JJ on the field.

  10. #570
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    But they can't both have that much. Reese gets paid big bucks to get and keep talent. He's earning his money this season

    If there is that much separation between Nicks and Cruz (I'm still not sure that's the case) then Nicks is rightly going to demand more. Most folks here seem to think a top 5 - 10 receiver can command $8-10M or more. If they do that for Nicks, Cruz will be gone after 2014 because they won't have the money to keep him IF he has another 1,000+ yard season he will be sought after by a few teams.
    And this is where you're wrong. Reese's job is to find talent and find value. When a player far exceeds his value, he's no longer worth keeping on the team. Keeping talent gets you nowhere but salary cap hell.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts