+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 94 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast

Thread: We're not keeping Cruz, no way.

Everyone is replaceable, Cruz will soon find out that Reese and the Giants are not playing around. Just like everyone cried about Smith leaving, there is always someone ready to take your job, Cruz will learn sooner or later. Giants will not pay rubber arms ten mill a year, ever since that hit against Baltimore he has not been the same player, too many drops in my book. The only WR that is worth that kind of cash is Larry Fitzgerald. We can not pay Cruz 10 mill, then we will have to come close to that for Nicks, don't think the Giants will invest twenty Million on two player in the same position, and don't forget, Cruz was not the same player without Nicks on the field, he needs another good wideout on the other side to be real successful. Out of the two Nicks is the better receiver, if he could only stay on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Smith took his best offer while he was recovering from a serious injury. Ballard was claimed off of waivers when the Giants wanted to put him on the PUP list. Cruz and the Giants are negotiating terms of a contract. Since Cruz is a RFA, they have a fall back position of tendering him, which John Mara has said they will do if the can't come to agreement and then continue to negotiate a long term deal.

None of us know what Cruz has asked for or what the Giants are willing to pay him for a long term contract. Cruz is healthy and has been durable for the two years he's played. No one is "throwing the team under the bus." The team is wearing its Big Boy panties and won't do anything that puts the team at a disadvantage. You are blaming Cruz for something that hasn't happened.
    I think you have to fall back on the answer you gave earlier where the story the media perpetrated has grown to substitute truth. As was said, no one besides Cruz, the Giants and his agent knows what Cruz was offered and what counter offers were made. There seems to be alot of hate for Cruz based on reporting that no one has any idea that even holds a bit of truth.

I think though, when the season comes, Cruz will be locked up for a long period of time and with a contract that will not impact us to the point people think it will.

Starter
    Cruz doesn't seem to lose it after taking a big hit. I like Randle as a bigger and more versatile receiver. Randle, Nicks and Hixon would be freat and Eli needs to work with and be able to trust the other receivers when these guys are banged up. We really need to have a couple of good tight ends. I think Eli can make any receiver with a little talent and toughness get the job done.

Yes we are.
    2014 Our Picks "Don't you just love this draft?! "#Sexy
    Round, Player, Position

1) Pick- Odell Beckham Jr.! /WR
    2) Pick- Weston Richburg /C
    3) Pick- Jay Bromley /DT
    4) Pick- Andre Williams! /RB
    5) Pick- Nat Berhe! /SS
    5) Pick- Devon Kennard /LB (Comp.)
    6) Pick- Bennett Jackson /CB

More salsa people!!!
    2014 Our Picks "Don't you just love this draft?! "#Sexy
    Round, Player, Position

1) Pick- Odell Beckham Jr.! /WR
    2) Pick- Weston Richburg /C
    3) Pick- Jay Bromley /DT
    4) Pick- Andre Williams! /RB
    5) Pick- Nat Berhe! /SS
    5) Pick- Devon Kennard /LB (Comp.)
    6) Pick- Bennett Jackson /CB

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Yea. And Cruz will get tagged next season. And play under it. Then move on to some other team after that season.
    This, Giants can tender this year and tag next year for around 11m. I'm sure Cruz doesn't want to play under 2 contracts like that. Agent's shouldn't pressure players to hold on for so long and risk injury.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Oui, but whatever offer is made by another team, the Giants can match if they elect to do so or let him go and get an additional 1st round pick. That rarely happens, but it could. A first round tender only pays $2.8M. Not matter what one thinks of Cruz, he's worth significant;y more than that. A team who needs a receiving play maker and has lots of CAP space, might just out offer the Giants.
    Are there any rules against 'poison pill' contracts with tendered players? Something like 3/30 with 20 on the first so that a team under cap hell cant match??

Quote Originally Posted by PRGiant View Post
    Are there any rules against 'poison pill' contracts with tendered players? Something like 3/30 with 20 on the first so that a team under cap hell cant match??
    No, if the give up a 1st, they get the player
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by PRGiant View Post
    This, Giants can tender this year and tag next year for around 11m. I'm sure Cruz doesn't want to play under 2 contracts like that. Agent's shouldn't pressure players to hold on for so long and risk injury.
    Seriously, if that's their plan, they may as well just agree to terms for a long term contract as they are admitting his worth with that strategy and purposely screwing with him. That would surprise me.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I think it's fair to ASSUME Cruz wants market value. I'm almost twice as sure the two sides have very different definitions of what Cruz's market value is. As a Giant I love Cruz, but I wouldn't overpay for any player outside of QB. Even if we have a healthy Cruz and Nicks, it doesn't guarantee success. I like Cruz at the $5-7 million/year level. I'd let him walk at $9 million. Yet, if he signs for $5 million I'd have to question the wisdom and ability of his agent. The fact is the guy has done everything asked and Welker is the only other slot receiver in the conversation with him in the NFL. We are going to have to pay the Piper to keep him.

I think the FO is waiting to see what they can do in almost all other scenarios that can help their Cruz negotiations, because they consider his resigning a priority. With Randle as the third option I feel less nervous about the situation.
    Last edited by B&RWarrior; 02-10-2013 at 08:52 AM.

+ Reply to Thread