+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 94 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drewz View Post
    Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP John Mara tells me he wants Victor Cruz back but won’t break the bank for him. Mara says his agent’s current demands are way too high.

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Mara said Cruz "is a high priority, but he's not our only priority." Mara said they have a year -- they would tender him if no deal struck.

Yep. Just what I figured, Cruz probably wants top 5 receiver money, but the Giants don't want to pay him as such
    As much as I love Cruz and think he is a great player, I do not want to see the Giants give him too much money. Nicks i8s the better receiver in my opinion, and you saw how the offense struggled without him at full strength. If Cruz wants too much and he ends up leaving, so be it. We will replace him some how

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    So Cruz puts a massive contract on the table. Then walks away and says they will agree to it eventually when they get desperate enough?

Yea. He is getting tendered this year and walking away next year.

Reese puts a value on guys and doesn't over pay them. Sorry Cruz.
    Your assesment may have just been the spot-on one.

Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP "John Mara tells me he wants Victor Cruz back but won’t break the bank for him. Mara says his agent’s current demands are way too high."
    Last edited by Ruttiger711; 02-01-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    Tepid Salsa

Starter
    [QUOTE=Jppallday;674725]As much as I love Cruz and think he is a great player, I do not want to see the Giants give him too much money. Nicks i8s the better receiver in my opinion, and you saw how the offense struggled without him at full strength. If Cruz wants too much and he ends up leaving, so be it. We will replace him some how[/QUOTE

I have got to agree with this-his "magic" works when teams have to concentrate on Nicks. Without Nicks, he looked rather ordinary this year.
    I certainly don't want him to go.

What hat is Cruz wearing on the town this week-end?
    No one remembers who came in second.

[QUOTE=Old Giant;674737]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jppallday View Post
    As much as I love Cruz and think he is a great player, I do not want to see the Giants give him too much money. Nicks i8s the better receiver in my opinion, and you saw how the offense struggled without him at full strength. If Cruz wants too much and he ends up leaving, so be it. We will replace him some how[/QUOTE

I have got to agree with this-his "magic" works when teams have to concentrate on Nicks. Without Nicks, he looked rather ordinary this year.
    I certainly don't want him to go.
    This is all just part of the negotiating process. I'm guessing Mara is going public to give the Cruz team something to mull over. The tender has always been the fall back position for the team. That will give Cruz time to see who wants him and for what on the open market. If he finds out that's no one, they can get back to negotiating.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I suspect they will work it out.... Basic rule of negotiation is for one side to start high, the other to start low, and then meet someplace in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by drewz View Post
    Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP John Mara tells me he wants Victor Cruz back but won’t break the bank for him. Mara says his agent’s current demands are way too high.

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Mara said Cruz "is a high priority, but he's not our only priority." Mara said they have a year -- they would tender him if no deal struck.

Yep. Just what I figured, Cruz probably wants top 5 receiver money, but the Giants don't want to pay him as such
    No reason to pay him that kind of money this year. If you're going to pay him that much money, why not wait until next year?

Mara - Victor Cruz wants too much money

Giants co-owner John Mara said "right now" impending restricted free agent Victor Cruz is asking for too much money.
    Mara added "there's a limit," and said "that's his agent" asking for too much money "right now," which is standard in negotiations at this point. Mara also said Cruz is a priority, but he isn't the "only" priority. He would have no qualms with slapping a first-round tender on Cruz, which would be a bargain at $2.879 million. Cruz played for $540,000 in 2012.

Source: Jenny Vrentas on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football]

Hope this doesnt get ugly.

just reading the title...oh no...

edit-phew, not as bad as the title made me think lol but def. not good imo. i agree OP, i really hope this doesnt turn ugly. Mara shouldnt be singling anyone out, from what is implied, Mara is saying the agent is not being fair or something. I believe Osi had to release his agent for the deal with us bc the FO had an issue with him too? I thought i remember reading that...
    Last edited by giantsfan420; 02-01-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Well the first bit of truth finally comes out. Not that we should be surprised. His agent is doing his job. he's looks at Cruz's stats, compares them to the rest of the WR's in the league, sees who he stacks up against, and asks for a contract that is relative to the market which has been set by his peers.

It negotiating 101, and it is exactly what we all should have expected.