+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 94 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Pretty much what a lot of people (including myself) figured all along, but didn't have actual specifics.

Well, here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    No reason to pay him that kind of money this year. If you're going to pay him that much money, why not wait until next year?
    Becasue next year you will also have to deal with Nicks. If Cruz gets tendered this year, he won't be here beyond 2013. He may not be worth whatever he's asking for to the Giants, but he is sure worth more than $2.8M.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    just reading the title...oh no...

edit-phew, not as bad as the title made me think lol but def. not good imo. i agree OP, i really hope this doesnt turn ugly. Mara shouldnt be singling anyone out, from what is implied, Mara is saying the agent is not being fair or something. I believe Osi had to release his agent for the deal with us bc the FO had an issue with him too? I thought i remember reading that...
    I am under the impression too much means 8-10 mil a year, as was reported from the beginning. However, not sure if Mara should be commenting on this. Last thing we need is another Jerry Jones on our hands. Let JR and his staff do their job.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    just reading the title...oh no...

edit-phew, not as bad as the title made me think lol but def. not good imo. i agree OP, i really hope this doesnt turn ugly. Mara shouldnt be singling anyone out, from what is implied, Mara is saying the agent is not being fair or something. I believe Osi had to release his agent for the deal with us bc the FO had an issue with him too? I thought i remember reading that...
    Why would it turn ugly? It's a business decision on both sides.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Becasue next year you will also have to deal with Nicks. If Cruz gets tendered this year, he won't be here beyond 2013. He may not be worth whatever he's asking for to the Giants, but he is sure worth more than $2.8M.
    I don't understand. You have to deal with Nicks next year whether you pony up top 5 WR money to Cruz this year or next.

The only reason to sign Cruz to a long term deal now is to get a discount (maybe a small one) off what you would have to pay him next year. If we're not getting a discount, there's no reason to pay him now.

looks like we were right..lol and we were getting flamed for a week for saying that he was prob asking for WAY too much money. Cruz is a good player, but hes not worth Calvin Johnson, or Larry Fitz money...hell i dont even think those guys are worth that money.

GET WELL SOON

Quote Originally Posted by Eli TO Shockey View Post
    I am under the impression too much means 8-10 mil a year, as was reported from the beginning. However, not sure if Mara should be commenting on this. Last thing we need is another Jerry Jones on our hands. Let JR and his staff do their job.
    theres 0% chance imo Mara can even get in JJs ballpark in terms of being "that" kind of owner.
    You very well could be right with the 8-10 mil a year point, the thing thats frustrating is the uncertainty. none of us will know until it gets done one way or the other ultimately. I do know there is a time limit with RFA bc of what happened with Mike Wallace of Pitt. Theres a cutoff day when the team cannot negotiate a long term contract anymore, so hopefully the deal gets done before then. Hopefully there wont be any division or like personal issues between both parties

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    I don't understand. You have to deal with Nicks next year whether you pony up top 5 WR money to Cruz this year or next.

The only reason to sign Cruz to a long term deal now is to get a discount (maybe a small one) off what you would have to pay him next year. If we're not getting a discount, there's no reason to pay him now.
    Cruz is entitled to fair compensation for his performance. The tender will give him $2.8M for 2013 when he becomes a UFA, as will Nicks. The CAP is not going to be appreciably higher than it is for 2013 and we still have the drag of other players restructures making money scarce.

If I am counseling Cruz the plan should be to keep going back and forth and see how close we get to the "don't cross this line" amount/terms. If they can't get there, Cruz will be tendered which I would consider a slap in the face, financially speaking. I would then use 2013 as the audition for UFA 2014. There are always issues you can't foresee such as injuries, lights out seasons, sub-par seasons, etc. But I'd be reluctant to re-sign with the Giants in 2014 if I believed they low balled me. The CAP is a problem, but his agents have a good idea what he's worth on the open market and are going to see how close the team gets to that amount.

There is plenty of time before this becomes do or die. No other teams can approach Cruz until March 12th.

If I were Reese, I'd try to get Hixon signed soon as a little added "psychlogical warfare." He isn't giong to demand too much and he's solid.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 02-01-2013 at 02:30 PM.

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by DownWitJPP View Post
    looks like we were right..lol and we were getting flamed for a week for saying that he was prob asking for WAY too much money. Cruz is a good player, but hes not worth Calvin Johnson, or Larry Fitz money...hell i dont even think those guys are worth that money.
    Look at his numbers over the past 2 years. Very comparable to top 5 WR's in the NFL. Is he worth 8-10mil? probably. Just dont thing we're willing to pay that kind of money...

Quote Originally Posted by Eli TO Shockey View Post
    Wouldn't shock me if his agent was asking for even more than that. Marshall is making around $9mil with the Bears back on a contract from 2010 so it could possibly be around $11-13 mil for the initial offer put out by the agent. A first round tender is looking more likely in the future folks.