+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 94 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I didn't think of it that way but if the cap can only absorb one big WR salary, then Nick is the priority assuming both of them are healthy. Locking down Nicks and tendering Cruz gets us through one year to Cruz's departure. That would be disappointing but may be an economic reality. I'd pay money to know how JR and Co. actually break these things down.
    I'm just not totally convinced Nicks is the better receiver but I do believe that together they can be the best tandem in the NFL.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I'm just not totally convinced Nicks is the better receiver but I do believe that together they can be the best tandem in the NFL.
    You don't need to be convinced, we're telling you Nicks is the better receiver. Would we lie to you?

Giants fan since the early 80s

Quote Originally Posted by Jppallday View Post
    I need a little bit of help understanding the rules. If we tender cruz this year and he plays and then walks the next year do we get a first round pick for him? What's the situation where we receive a first rounder for cruz if he walks?
    No, when Cruz is a UFA he can go anywhere he wants for whatever he's offered and the Giants get nothing in return. If they tender him in 2013 as a RFA, then they get a 1st round draft pick if that's the tender the Giants put on him. But that would require a team to make an offer and be willing to give up a 1st round pick. The Giants could match the offer if they wanted or just let him go and take the extra pick.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by ny06 View Post
    You don't need to be convinced, we're telling you Nicks is the better receiver. Would we lie to you?

I'm just going to let you believe Nicks is best while I continue to mull it over.

# 80

It is not as clear cut as I may make it appear. You've seen enough of me to realize that hyperbole is one of my relatives. lol That said, I think that Nicks has the better hands and can handle the split reveiver role better than Cuz. Cruz drops too many balls but has an explosive quality about him. Nicks has been injured alot and still productive but is he injury prone? Nicks has been a top receiver for longer than Cruz and Cruz's production or at least those explosive plays dropped way off this year. Is he getting a little gun shy going over the middle. I guess that's a long way to say that when healthy, they are one of the top 3 tandems in the league and it would be a shame if the salary cap breaks them up.
    No one remembers who came in second.

No, when Cruz is a UFA he can go anywhere he wants for whatever he's offered and the Giants get nothing in return. If they tender him in 2013 as a RFA, then they get a 1st round draft pick if that's the tender the Giants put on him. But that would require a team to make an offer and be willing to give up a 1st round pick. The Giants could match the offer if they wanted or just let him go and take the extra pick.
    If he was going to leave is rather let him go now and get a 1st rounder for him. Or at least try and do that if a team will part ways with a first rd pick

There might be more to this than just Nicks and Cruz. There could be a possible future laid out for the direction this offense will go and they could feel that two huge threats on the outside (Nicks and Randle) would stretch out the field for any slot receiver like a Jernigan or a TE to take advantage of the middle. More emphasis on the top of the defense and outside the numbers should also open up the running game for the emerging Wilson too. Cruz is a great player that any team would love to have but we can't afford to put too much money into a handful of players.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    It is not as clear cut as I may make it appear. You've seen enough of me to realize that hyperbole is one of my relatives. lol That said, I think that Nicks has the better hands and can handle the split reveiver role better than Cuz. Cruz drops too many balls but has an explosive quality about him. Nicks has been injured alot and still productive but is he injury prone? Nicks has been a top receiver for longer than Cruz and Cruz's production or at least those explosive polays dropped way off this year. Is he getting a little gun shy going over the middle. I guess that's a long way to say that when healthy, they are one of the top 3 tandems in the league and it would be a shame if the salary cap breaks them up.
    I'm not convinced either way to be precise. Nicks hasn't played a full season yet. He is a GREAT talent and his injuries in 2012 don't give us a real indication of his current value, although Reese will use that for leverage. Nicks doesn't have Cruz's versatility in being able to play on the outside or out of the slot. But, at least for 2013, we'll get to see them play together when they are both healthy. Beyond that, it's not looking very promising, but anything can happen.

This really is masterful negotiating on Reese's part.

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by Jppallday View Post
    If he was going to leave is rather let him go now and get a 1st rounder for him. Or at least try and do that if a team will part ways with a first rd pick
    The only way he leaves in 2013 is for the Giants to get a 1st round pick.

# 80

Dominant Split-Ends > Dominant slot guys

Always has been