+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 94 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
    not sure I agree,,,no doubt when nicks is healthy he is unstoppable,,the problem is he has demonstrated that he is not able to stay healthy year after year and it killed the O this year. at what point do his injuries become a major problem? no doubt I want him back,,but priority over cruz? not sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    and it killed the O this year.
    Agreed, Nicks absence killed the offense this year.

Now why should we pay a guy 12 million dollars (as an example figure) who can't rejuvenate the offense when Nicks isn't in the line-up?

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    Agreed, Nicks absence killed the offense this year.

Now why should we pay a guy 12 million dollars (as an example figure) who can't rejuvenate the offense when Nicks isn't in the line-up?
    kinda hard to rejuvenate when he was constantly doubled due to the lack of nicks and another quality receiver. what will nicks do with out cruz? probably the same results cruz had this year. so we are damned if we do damned if we dont.

between Cruz & Nicks.. I'll take Cruz, Nicks cant stay on the field and always seem to be banged up..

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    between Cruz & Nicks.. I'll take Cruz, Nicks cant stay on the field and always seem to be banged up..
    carter I agree but this stinks, I dont want to lose either,,,,its like the line from the married with children theme song,,,you can't have one with out the other..I wonder what Cruz must be thinking,,slap in the face or does he maintain his mellow style?

All-Pro
    Yeah the injury thing with Nicks is a bit of an issue. He has yet to play a complete season since being drafted. When he is on the field he has the ability to change the game more so than Cruz. That's the problem though. It's almost a guarantee he will miss some time. When will that be? What if its at the end of the season or the playoffs? It's a tough call, but maybe they feel that JJ can be their next Cruz? They seem to be pretty happy they drafted Randle too.

I think we'll tender him, but still work on a longterm deal.

Plus, seeing as how the trend is with Giants ready to cash in, Cruz will probably tear an ACL or have a terrible knee injury. Weird stuff.
    isnt there a cutoff date to when both sides cannot discuss long term contracts? fromwhat i understood with the wallace situation, a specifc date signaled a mandatory cease negotiations and iirc it last until the next offseason...so...theoretically the giants could screw cruz out of his next 3-4 yrs

True. If Cruz puts up another 1300 yard season, multiple touchdowns, and the Giants have a lot of success because of it, we should give him 10-12 million per year.That's market value for a dominant receiver.

If Nicks tears it up too, then we've got a tough decision to make.
    If Cruz does that, the Giants won't be able to afford him in 2014 but other teams will be lining up. If they are really making Nicks a priority this season, and he signs an extension, he's out of the financial equation for 2014. That also has the practical effect of showing Cruz the door.

It's a complicated process in the best of times, but the shelf life of NFL players is relatively short. If Cruz is tendered, he's losing at least $5M this season alone. He played for $540K in 2012 and he's now worth more than the proposed tender offer even if you hate him (not saying you hate him).

So if Nicks signs now, he'll be getting what? $7M a season, give or take? We are still going to be in CAP hell in 2014 so where does Cruz go for a lucrative contract, assuming he has a good season?
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 02-03-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

As they should. Nicks was drafted to be the franchise receiver; Cruz has been a luxury. It would be nice to keep both, though. Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    isnt there a cutoff date to when both sides cannot discuss long term contracts? fromwhat i understood with the wallace situation, a specifc date signaled a mandatory cease negotiations and iirc it last until the next offseason...so...theoretically the giants could screw cruz out of his next 3-4 yrs
    How can they screw him out of his next 3-4 years?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80