+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 94 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    On this I agree. If they tender Cruz, in essence getting him to play for one year at chump change, he's being slapped in the face. So he needs to suck it up, play lights out, and go elsewhere in 2014 where his talents would be properly compensated. If the reason Reese can't pay a fair market amount is the CAP, so be it. If he just wants to get Cruz cheap for another year, that's pathetic IMO. I don't think Reese will do that. I think he will make a legitimate offer.
    Cap room isn't the problem. They have the cap room to resign him to $16 a year. But the giants are not willing to over pay their own FAs. Never have under Reese. They will offer fair value and if the player walks, so be it. Find a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Right. And they talked for a little while, got the structure of it done. Then there was seemingly no movement on price.

So both sides agreed to disagree and walked away.

I would assume if they were relatively close, let's say 2-3 million per year it isn't overly significant and they could continue talking. But 5+ is a non starter.

But Reese has made it very clear with his own FAs that he offers them what he believes to be a fair deal and if the players don't take it, he lets them walk.
    Want a better way to look at it?

If I have one deal I consider a "must have", then I am going to want to know the maximum amount I can muster to get it done.

And as important as that deal may be, I would have to get a lot of little deals done to know that maximum amount.

Short hand...sign everyone else and see whats left.

Cruz isn't in a hurry because that is exactly what his agent told him, "the gravy train is coming, just need to see how big your biscuit wheels will be"
    www.negativityscene.com

Follow me on twitter @negativityscene

Nobody know what Cruz is asking for and nobody knows what Reese is willing to pay him. However, there is one thing that is very safe to assume. His agent is going to compare his clients numbers to other WR's and he is going to ask the Giants for a contract that is comparable to those that other WR's with similar stats have already signed. That's pretty much how this works. It has nothing to do with Cruz' personality or the fact that the Giants gave him his big break. It has to do with the market that has been set by his peers.

I didn't say anything about the structure of Browns deal. Just the total value.
    You know as well as I that the "total deal" in NFL contracts mean absolutely nothing. Its about guaranteed money and how many years the team has control of the player.
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    Want a better way to look at it?

If I have one deal I consider a "must have", then I am going to want to know the maximum amount I can muster to get it done.

And as important as that deal may be, I would have to get a lot of little deals done to know that maximum amount.

Short hand...sign everyone else and see whats left.

Cruz isn't in a hurry because that is exactly what his agent told him, "the gravy train is coming, just need to see how big your biscuit wheels will be"
    Problem with this theory is the Steve smith story. Smith was offered the "biggest contract of any giants WR in history" yet did not sign in hopes that he could make more money after looking at what other teams could offer. He then injured himself and his career is over.

I'm not saying players should take any contract given, but if the giants did indeed offer him a fair deal then he may regret not taking it later.

Problem with this theory is the Steve smith story. Smith was offered the "biggest contract of any giants WR in history" yet did not sign in hopes that he could make more money after looking at what other teams could offer. He then injured himself and his career is over.

I'm not saying players should take any contract given, but if the giants did indeed offer him a fair deal then he may regret not taking it later.
    How do you know what kind of deal they offered?
    I assume they offered a very "team friendly" deal.
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    You know as well as I that the "total deal" in NFL contracts mean absolutely nothing. Its about guaranteed money and how many years the team has control of the player.
    You are making a separate argument. I'm not talking about structure of the deal. Just the total money. Which is what the two sides disagree on. The total money is absolutely important in contracts. Otherwise players would just ask for guaranteed money and tell the team to not bother with the rest.

Cruz's competition

Dwayne Bowe (Drops lots of passes that his team needs him in the clutch)

Mike Wallace (One trick pony)

Greg Jennings (Good but too injury plagued to compete with Cruz)

Wes Welker (You really want to give Welker a huge contract at 32?)

His agent knows he's the trophy girl of the group and they're going to see what else is offered before getting tied up with the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    How do you know what kind of deal they offered?
    I assume they offered a very "team friendly" deal.
    I'm sure they did. Which would put the money at around $8-9 a season.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Cruz's competition

Dwayne Bowe (Drops lots of passes that his team needs him in the clutch)

Mike Wallace (One trick pony)

Greg Jennings (Good but too injury plagued to compete with Cruz)

Wes Welker (You really want to give Welker a huge contract at 32?)

His agent knows he's the trophy girl of the group and they're going to see what else is offered before getting tied up with the Giants.
    Can't compare UFAs to an RFA with a first round tender.