+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 94 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    But it has been completely up to the discretion of the team. The Giants could have voided all of that contract at any time outside the guarantee. The team CHOSE to continue paying Webby and may or may not this season.

How much of that $100MM did Albert Haynesworth get? Not much. Because the $100MMM figure was MEANINGLESS.
    Aside the guarantee, a team can void any deal for any reason. Thats why it means next to nothing. If a player in on the last year and is due $10MM. the team can pay it if they chose or tell the player to pound sand. That $10MM is practically MEANINGLESS. The only significance is that the team has a guaranteed option to pay a player that much if they chose.

How much of Nate Clements contract did the Niners pay?.... Answer: very little.
    There are countless examples.
    You are really struggling with this aren't you.

A player is unlikely to receive all of the total money of a contract. A player is not guaranteed to earn any of the money in a contract above what is guaranteed. (Aren't even guaranteed to earn what is guaranteed, actually. Haynesworth didn't) but that does NOT mean that that money is meaningless.

If a player believes he will continue to do well that money is absolutely there for them to earn.

Just like I showed with Webster boley or Eli.

The total number is absolutely 100% important. That is money the player can earn.

You keep saying a player can be released and not owed any of it.
    A player could get hurt and not earn any of his "guaranteed" money too.

But when a player like boley earns nearly double of what he was guaranteed I would say that is far from being meaningless.
    Last edited by slipknottin; 01-31-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWitJPP View Post
    Watch Reese surprise everyone and go grab another WR in the first now...
    No need for that, Jerry has JJ in the wings. He was drafted for the slot. if for some reason we can't resign Cruz a WR in the first would be a head scratcher with Jernigan already on the roster.

Victor is the best story in New York sports for the last decade ............i love the guy ........pay him JR !
    Non Omnis Moriar

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    You are really struggling with this aren't you.

A player is unlikely to receive all of the total money of a contract. A player is not guaranteed to earn any of the money in a contract above what is guaranteed. (Aren't even guaranteed to earn what is guaranteed, actually. Haynesworth didn't) but that does NOT mean that that money is meaningless.

If a player believes he will continue to do well that money is absolutely there for them to earn.

Just like I showed with Webster boley or Eli.

The total number is absolutely 100% important. That is money the player can earn.

You keep saying a player can be released and not owed any of it.
    A player could get hurt and not earn any of his "guaranteed" money too.

But when a player like boley earns nearly double of what he was guaranteed I would say that is far from being meaningless.
    If a player gets hurt he gets the guaranteed money.
    thats the definition of "guaranteed money".

And since a player rarely gets all the money in a long term contract in the NFL, it is practically meaningless.
    A lot of times they have some crazy baloon payment in a contract that gets included in the total of the deal, and they all know that it won't get paid.
    I'm telling you, in any other sport you would be right. In the NFL its the guaranteed money and the total years (from the clubs perspective) that matters.

And the money is NOT there for them to earn if the FO decides to void the deal. And the player can't do anything about it. He could be playing great but if the team doesn't think he's worth it, he ain't getting it. Period.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    That still seems way too low for the current market. Roddy White signed a 6 year/$48 million contract back in 2009 while you have Anquan Boldin on a 4 year/$28 million contract back in 2010 when the Cards traded him to the Ravens. Something around $9 to $11mil a year seems to be reasonable considering his youth and on a much smaller note, his marketability.
    No...you're right. That amount would be more like a 4 year deal.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

let's let this play out and not listen to know it alls who know nothing.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...ew-york-giants

Please don't turn into Osi v 2.0

man.. I'm gone a few days and the cry babies come out..
    Formerly Brandon Jacobs

All-Pro
    Seriously don't see him not signing here. The real issue will be signing Nicks next year.

Veteran

Some Victor Cruz news.. John Mara just made some comments

Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP John Mara tells me he wants Victor Cruz back but wonít break the bank for him. Mara says his agentís current demands are way too high.

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Mara said Cruz "is a high priority, but he's not our only priority." Mara said they have a year -- they would tender him if no deal struck.

Yep. Just what I figured, Cruz probably wants top 5 receiver money, but the Giants don't want to pay him as such