+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 94 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: We're not keeping Cruz, no way.

I am all for keeping Cruz, but I don't think he should be paid as much as Nicks.. When Nicks is healthy, he's a legit top 10 WR, Cruz isnt (not a knock on him he's very good).

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I think its going to take 7 or 8 each to keep them
    But they can't both have that much. Reese gets paid big bucks to get and keep talent. He's earning his money this season

If there is that much separation between Nicks and Cruz (I'm still not sure that's the case) then Nicks is rightly going to demand more. Most folks here seem to think a top 5 - 10 receiver can command $8-10M or more. If they do that for Nicks, Cruz will be gone after 2014 because they won't have the money to keep him IF he has another 1,000+ yard season he will be sought after by a few teams.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 02-04-2013 at 12:00 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Whatever happens, we should have them both for 2013. If Cruz is flat out tendered, with no continuing negotiations in 2013, he'll be odd man when he hits UFA.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

I come to the decision that Cruz should get 10 mil a year for his services Yet deduct some of the money to spend on another receiver to take some pressure off of him, that costs him 3 mil. Now add a O-linemen for Eli so Eli can throw Cruz the ball, that is 2 mil. That leaves him with 5 mil contract a year.

"I test how other people deal with reality"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
    Big Eric the Actor fan?
    HOWARD FAN, funny how eric turns down every role its hilarious and i miss Artie lange and the 49ers get up is football and superbowl related .

JR and Co. will be doing their dance with agents for the next several months, so I wouldn't bet on anything that is in print about what anyone said. I don't think baas has gotten any better; we got stuck, just like canty and others. Its why we're sitting here right now. If the draft isn't a home run and if TC refuses to play rookies get ready to strap on your crash helmuts, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    But they can't both have that much. Reese gets paid big bucks to get and keep talent. He's earning his money this season

If there is that much separation between Nicks and Cruz (I'm still not sure that's the case) then Nicks is rightly going to demand more. Most folks here seem to think a top 5 - 10 receiver can command $8-10M or more. If they do that for Nicks, Cruz will be gone after 2014 because they won't have the money to keep him IF he has another 1,000+ yard season he will be sought after by a few teams.
    I am sure that the Cowgirls, the eagirls and the deadskins will find a way to fit him under their cap. It just seems that the Giants, tie up money on deadwood and then they do not have enough for those who produce. I am just waiting for Cruz to burn us a couple of times every year if that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Inteesting and appropriate that Nicks is our first priority at WR.
    + 1.

Cruz/Nicks contract situation

is certainly a frustrating ordeal.

I think from a General Managers position, it is nearly impossible to quantify monetarily how valuable a slot receiver is to a receiver. The position itself, as well as it's role in the NFL today, is relatively new, and continuously evolving.

Certainly, I'm not one to say Cruz is simply just a guy that will sit in zone coverage and pick them apart for 6 - 8 yards at a time, however we all know he does that as well as anyone in the league, and that is how we utilize him to a much larger degree than anything else.

Now, the question is, who else in the league do you compare his skill set to in accordance to the team and develop a suitable contract for him?

It seems as if over the last three years, several more teams have utitlized a hybrid h-back, tight end, slot wide out/running back guy to open up the middle of the field. These sort of athletes are coming across much more prominently now, meaning that the college ranks are pumping them out like never before. However, guys like Hakeem Nicks, whose skill set has done wonders over the entirety of the existence of the NFL, are rare.

I think we all know what I am saying here. Nicks and Cruz play two entirely different roles on this team. Which role is more difficult to fill? That is the guy we should try our absolute hardest to hold on to.

I'm on the side of Hakeem Nicks, here. I hate the annual injuries, but I can't help but think of our former Steve Smith and think that Victor Cruz would be so much easier to replace than Nicks.

I want Cruz to stay, and HATED the way Steve Smith and Kevin Boss went out, but that basically is going to be the philosophy of Jerry Reese, they're not going to overpay anyone.

and if I were to choose between Cruz and Nicks, and go with Nicks all the way. I love that guy, in the manliest way possible.

+ Reply to Thread