+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 94 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: We're not keeping Cruz, no way.

Unfortunately for Cruz he knows he is a no. 2 WR or a slot WR but he is seaking a no. 1 WR kind of contract. I pray he is just playing a hand hard and just seaking a fair contract because if he's not then he is in for a hard time trying to brake bank with the Giants. Things could get sour fast and obviously this is not good for team chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Blue View Post
    I want Cruz to stay, and HATED the way Steve Smith and Kevin Boss went out, but that basically is going to be the philosophy of Jerry Reese, they're not going to overpay anyone.

and if I were to choose between Cruz and Nicks, and go with Nicks all the way. I love that guy, in the manliest way possible.
    That's the correct choice. I love Cruz to death put no way he is worth 8 to 10 mill per year.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    As I have been saying, Nicks is more valuable to this offense than the slot guy is.Slot guys are almost plug and play in this system and you can get a 900+ yard guy. The outside receiver that forces double teams and STILL gets open? Incredibly hard to find.
    Can't agree more.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    I could easily see Cruz Not coming back if he doesn't want to. If he is out for as much money as he can get, it won't be as a Giant. We don't have the cash, and he knows it. We will see what happens. If he goes, it will be too bad. We will still have a ton of talent to go to.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    It is not as clear cut as I may make it appear. You've seen enough of me to realize that hyperbole is one of my relatives. lol That said, I think that Nicks has the better hands and can handle the split reveiver role better than Cuz. Cruz drops too many balls but has an explosive quality about him. Nicks has been injured alot and still productive but is he injury prone? Nicks has been a top receiver for longer than Cruz and Cruz's production or at least those explosive plays dropped way off this year. Is he getting a little gun shy going over the middle. I guess that's a long way to say that when healthy, they are one of the top 3 tandems in the league and it would be a shame if the salary cap breaks them up.
    I don’t think I would categorize Hakeem Nicks as injury prone. The issue is that he comes back early. Now, I don’t know if that is by his insistence or the coaches and coordinators needing him back and pushing him to come back early. Either way, Hakeem Nicks does need to have some time to heal and the fact that he comes back so early is indicative of how important he truly is to this offense.

I look at Hakeem Nicks as our Number 1 Receiver and although I really, really want both he and Victor to remain as NY Giants, Hakeem is our 1ST priority IMO. He is very physical and when he is in the game, he gets the attention from the oppossing teams top cover guy. Also, he takes big hits and doesn’t let it rattle his game. We can’t really say that about Victor. Victor Cruz as great as he is does have some seriously costly drops and he did “short arm” it this year when we needed him to step up.

Isn't Cruz under contract this year? Think at this point is to let him play out his rookie contract and see what is production is this season. If its good then they'll either pay him or let him go, if it drops again this year then he may be more reasonably priced. Nicks on the other hand is a FA who has had injury issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Isn't Cruz under contract this year? Think at this point is to let him play out his rookie contract and see what is production is this season. If its good then they'll either pay him or let him go, if it drops again this year then he may be more reasonably priced. Nicks on the other hand is a FA who has had injury issues.
    No, he's an RFA. Nicks is still under contract until 2014
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    I don’t think I would categorize Hakeem Nicks as injury prone. The issue is that he comes back early. Now, I don’t know if that is by his insistence or the coaches and coordinators needing him back and pushing him to come back early. Either way, Hakeem Nicks does need to have some time to heal and the fact that he comes back so early is indicative of how important he truly is to this offense.

I look at Hakeem Nicks as our Number 1 Receiver and although I really, really want both he and Victor to remain as NY Giants, Hakeem is our 1ST priority IMO. He is very physical and when he is in the game, he gets the attention from the oppossing teams top cover guy. Also, he takes big hits and doesn’t let it rattle his game. We can’t really say that about Victor. Victor Cruz as great as he is does have some seriously costly drops and he did “short arm” it this year when we needed him to step up.
    +1
    No one remembers who came in second.

the difficulty right now is if Nicks can't get and stay healthy, which you have to consider, what should we do? Both of these receivers are made much better playing together, and neither seem to have the ability to play as well alone.

So how much do you play an often injuried physical tough receiver, and how much do you pay a fast slot receiver who does everything a team could want on and off the field.

Cruz' agent is doing exactly what i would do in that situation, ask for at least $10 million.

The Mara comments to the press about Cruz wasn't an accident. That was a "i support Reese and don't believe the hype from your agent that i don't" kinda situation.

We'll tender him this season. there's no way they work out a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post

its just semantics at this point (injury prone vs injury problems), but injuries are a problem with Nicks.

he can be your #1 priority, and i agree that Nicks is harder to replace than Cruz, but neither is easy to replace.

Fact of the matter is we can't pay both these wide receivers what they're probably worth on the market and stay under the cap. its just math.

with a $20 million QB, you can't tie roughly 30% of your cap on 3 players (Eli, Cruz, Nicks = $20, $10, $10, assuming a $125 cap).

so just like we couldn't keep 3 DEs at starting NFL level salaries (osi, Tuck, JPP), we can't keep both WRs at what they could get on the open market.

+ Reply to Thread