+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: We're not keeping Cruz, no way.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    If?
    If they tender him this season and don't agree to continue to negotiate during the season, which John Mara has said they will do, he is going to be underpaid for the third year in a row, unless anyone thinks he's only worth $2.789M. I understand the Giants have every right to tender him, that's how the rules read.

Putting myself in his handlers' place I'd tell him to accept the tender, smile, work his *** off and be committed to leaving when he hits UFA. Assuming he's as good a player as I think he is, he may well stack another 1,000+ yard season on top of his first two (obviously he could fail as well) which will make him very employable after 2013 and the Giants, again, won't be able to afford his services. So he's very likely to get multiple offers from teams interested in having a receiver with his talent on their roster.

If tendered, he's going to lose out on somewhere between $3 and 5M, conservatively. I would expect Jerry Jones to be one of those interested when Cruz is an UFA and they aren't saddled with the slap on the wrist CAP space they and the Redskins are suffering under this season.

I don't know if Reese can or would even try to make life a little more bearable, as he did with Osi, by giving something above the tender rate. Everyone wants to be appreciated and properly compensated. But if I were advising Cruz, I'd be looking ahead to 2014 as the cards are stacked against us this season. I would not even think of a hold out or negative public statements that went beyond being disappointed. Then it's time to get to work, attend all OTAs, mini-camp, training camp, and play the entire 2013 season auditioning for his next GM, whoever that may be.

All of that being said, Reese may have a plan to sign them both this year by back loading bigger numbers for at last one of them. I don't think John Mara would have gone public saying they want Cruz if that's not true. Now we just have to wait and see.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    If they tender him this season and don't agree to continue to negotiate during the season, which John Mara has said they will do, he is going to be underpaid for the third year in a row, unless anyone thinks he's only worth $2.789M. I understand the Giants have every right to tender him, that's how the rules read.

Putting myself in his handlers' place I'd tell him to accept the tender, smile, work his *** off and be committed to leaving when he hits UFA. Assuming he's as good a player as I think he is, he may well stack another 1,000+ yard season on top of his first two (obviously he could fail as well) which will make him very employable after 2013 and the Giants, again, won't be able to afford his services. So he's very likely to get multiple offers from teams interested in having a receiver with his talent on their roster.

If tendered, he's going to lose out on somewhere between $3 and 5M, conservatively. I would expect Jerry Jones to be one of those interested when Cruz is an UFA and they aren't saddled with the slap on the wrist CAP space they and the Redskins are suffering under this season.

I don't know if Reese can or would even try to make life a little more bearable, as he did with Osi, by giving something above the tender rate. Everyone wants to be appreciated and properly compensated. But if I were advising Cruz, I'd be looking ahead to 2014 as the cards are stacked against us this season. I would not even think of a hold out or negative public statements that went beyond being disappointed. Then it's time to get to work, attend all OTAs, mini-camp, training camp, and play the entire 2013 season auditioning for his next GM, whoever that may be.

All of that being said, Reese may have a plan to sign them both this year by back loading bigger numbers for at last one of them. I don't think John Mara would have gone public saying they want Cruz if that's not true. Now we just have to wait and see.
    Even Morehead is worth more than $2+MM.

The Giants are in a great position here. They will tender Cruz. If someone wants to give him a huge contract, we will get a first round pick. (that probably won't happen). So we will have great leverage at that point because he's probably not going to be happy making several million less than he would if he signed a long term deal.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Veteran
    I don't trust Nicks, I think the Giants should see how he plays this season first.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    I think it's a foregone conclusion that the Giants don't expect to keep both.
    I don't think that's true at all. I think they are thinking its better than 50/50.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

I meant when a player's cost exceeds his value. i.e. if he's over paid. So in this if we re-sign Cruz to say 12 million, (i know an exaggeration), he's not worht keeping.
    Cruz hasn't been paid his worth since he came off IR. Reese won't overpay him so there's nothing to worry about that.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

If you added "at prevailing rates based on their talents", I'd agree

I think the Giants original plan has been all along to keep both of them but not paying Cruz like a no.1 WR, thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Even Morehead is worth more than $2+MM.

The Giants are in a great position here. They will tender Cruz. If someone wants to give him a huge contract, we will get a first round pick. (that probably won't happen). So we will have great leverage at that point because he's probably not going to be happy making several million less than he would if he signed a long term deal.
    That's true, he will be underpaid yet again, under the rules. So in 2014 when he's an UFA he will be looking to go where he's financially appreciated and that will not likely be here. All he can do is play his heart out in 2013 and reap the rewards elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    Might do better than Cruz. He didn't do good in none of the 3 games the Giants need him most where they lost. Cruz is not that good and the other players helped him out. He has to pay those players so his ten to 15 mil has to be spend on his teammates.
    I don't get how any receiver can put 1,000+ yard seasons back to back and be "not that good."

+ Reply to Thread