+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 94 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Nonononono. Keep him. Teams can't survive with one superstar WR. Double cover nicks and then Eli has no one else to trust.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
    Nonononono. Keep him. Teams can't survive with one superstar WR. Double cover nicks and then Eli has no one else to trust.
    It's probably 90% certain Cruz will be here in 2013.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    It's probably 90% certain Cruz will be here in 2013.
    Yup. And if he isn't here in 2013, we'll have an extra 1st round pick. Even though it'd suck losing Cruz, having 2 firsts will definitely soften the blow some.

Would we get the signing team's 2013 or 2014 first rounder, though? And in the event the team has 2 firsts, do they get to choose which to give us or would it be their original selection?

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Yup. And if he isn't here in 2013, we'll have an extra 1st round pick. Even though it'd suck losing Cruz, having 2 firsts will definitely soften the blow some.

Would we get the signing team's 2013 or 2014 first rounder, though? And in the event the team has 2 firsts, do they get to choose which to give us or would it be their original selection?
    I don't know for sure, but I assume the 2013 pick. I know that sounds great, but Reese doesn't always do what we'd like in the draft. Who's to say he'd take a WR in the top rounds? Who's to say if he did, he'd play in 2013? If he played, would he be successful, etc.

There's a lot of time left and a lot of players to evaluate as to their continued participation with the Giants. They have already signed two of our free agents and I would assume they are negotiating with others. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 02-09-2013 at 07:47 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I understand this is a money business. However, is he worth jeopardizing our teams salary cap issues? -no

no player is above the team. I'm sure we can find a suitable replacement.

food for thought: Steve smith did it, Jake Ballard did it.. where are they now?
    Formerly Brandon Jacobs

Quote Originally Posted by giant-4-life View Post
    I understand this is a money business. However, is he worth jeopardizing our teams salary cap issues? -no

no player is above the team. I'm sure we can find a suitable replacement.

food for thought: Steve smith did it, Jake Ballard did it.. where are they now?
    What did Smith and Ballard do that is remotely similar to Cruz?

I don't know for sure, but I assume the 2013 pick. I know that soudns great, but Reese doesn't always do what we'd like in the draft. Who's to say he'd take a WR in the top rounds? Who's to say if he did, he'd play in 2013? If he played, would he be successful, etc.

There's a lot of time left and a lot of players to evaluate as to their continued participation with the Giants. They have already signed two of our free agents and I would assume they are negotiating with others. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
    I was just saying that if we lost Cruz, we wouldn't be left empty handed. Regardless of what position JR would choose with the pick, at least it's something. And he's done very well in the 1st, so even if the kid doesn't play much in '13, we very well will have a nice player moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    I was just saying that if we lost Cruz, we wouldn't be left empty handed. Regardless of what position JR would choose with the pick, at least it's something. And he's done very well in the 1st, so even if the kid doesn't play much in '13, we very well will have a nice player moving forward.
    I think they really want to be in contention for the 2014 Super Bowl. That requires an amount of continuity and that's especially so of your proven play makers in all aspects of the game. I'm pretty sure Cruz will be here in 2013, whether he's here beyond that is anyone's guess right now.

What did Smith and Ballard do that is remotely similar to Cruz?
    Do I really have to answer that? Cruz and smith are/were our go to receivers.. Smith thought he could do better elsewhere. Ballard was a good TE who played well and did well.

point being... i don't care if cruz is a donald driver power WR, but he isn't worth throwing the team under the bus and then we suffer until we get all this salary cap stuff in order.
    Formerly Brandon Jacobs

Quote Originally Posted by giant-4-life View Post
    Do I really have to answer that? Cruz and smith are/were our go to receivers.. Smith thought he could do better elsewhere. Ballard was a good TE who played well and did well.

point being... i don't care if cruz is a donald driver power WR, but he isn't worth throwing the team under the bus and then we suffer until we get all this salary cap stuff in order.
    Smith took his best offer while he was recovering from a serious injury. Ballard was claimed off of waivers when the Giants wanted to put him on the PUP list. Cruz and the Giants are negotiating terms of a contract. Since Cruz is a RFA, they have a fall back position of tendering him, which John Mara has said they will do if the can't come to agreement and then continue to negotiate a long term deal.

None of us know what Cruz has asked for or what the Giants are willing to pay him for a long term contract. Cruz is healthy and has been durable for the two years he's played. No one is "throwing the team under the bus." The team is wearing its Big Boy panties and won't do anything that puts the team at a disadvantage. You are blaming Cruz for something that hasn't happened.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 02-09-2013 at 08:12 PM.