+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Vacchiano: ELi Is Giants' Indespensible Mann

  1. #1
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    98,249

    Vacchiano: ELi Is Giants' Indespensible Mann

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1258602

    Excerpt: "Four years ago the Giants were an NFL power, one year removed from a Super Bowl championship and possibly one gunshot wound away from winning two in a row. They had won 16 of their last 21 games, including playoffs. And they had money to spend.

    That’s when, in the first 40 hours of the 2009 free-agent signing period, they took an $83 million dive into the deep end and grabbed linebacker Michael Boley and defensive tackles Chris Canty and Rocky Bernard as fast as they could. They sensed their championship window was open. And three years later, all three players would contribute as the Giants again won it all.

    That second title came less than 13 months ago, and now Canty and Boley are gone, along with two-time champion Ahmad Bradshaw. Bernard is a soon-to-be 34-year-old free agent and unlikely to be re-signed.
    That’s the harsh reality of life in the NFL.
    And that is the right way to build an NFL team.

    It’s out with the old and in with the new, and quickly. And if that sounds mean, that’s just too bad. The reality is there is exactly one untouchable player on the Giants’ roster and he has two Super Bowl MVP trophies. Everyone else on the team is expendable, no matter how much sentiment is involved.

    Think about it. Bradshaw may be, as GM Jerry Reese said “pound for pound... one of the toughest football players that I've been around.” He may have been a spark in their Super Bowl XLII run and a key cog in the engine on the drive to XLVI. But he’s also an old 26 with the feet and ankles of a 50-year-old and simply cost too much this year.

    Boley had been the brains of the defense since arriving in 2009, but hamstring injuries have robbed him of his burst. And as valuable as the 6-7, 317-pound Canty has been, his presence couldn’t help the dying pass rush of the NFL’s second-worst defense, and his cap hit was a robust $8.2 million." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  2. #2
    This is a "thank you captain obvious" kind of article. A 2x Superbowl winning QB in his prime is probably not getting cut. I don't think we needed Vacciano to tell us that.

    I will agree with his assessment more when guys like Diehl and Webster are gone as well. Webster costs more than Boley and Canty, and was easily the worse player on the defense this season (Tuck was damn close). Diehl is also an expensive liability.

    So far, the only reason I think Reese got rid of AB, Boley, and Canty was because he believes in his draft and wants to see ABro/DW, JWill, and Austin step up. He doesn't have replacements on the team for Diehl or Webster (I would come cheaper and play just as well, sign me Reese!), and is yet to cut them...

  3. #3
    All-Pro TheAnalyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    7,442
    Its all about drafting well. Thats what it comes down to.
    NFL Fantasy Football Lineup:

    QB - Michael Vick
    RB - Adrian Peterson
    RB - Ray Rice
    WR- Josh Gordon
    WR- Justin Blackmon
    TE - Aaron Hernandez
    RB/WR- Le'Veon Bell
    K - Matt Prater
    D/ST - 49ers

    Owner - Jim Irsay
    GM - ??????

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by VBGiantsFan View Post
    This is a "thank you captain obvious" kind of article. A 2x Superbowl winning QB in his prime is probably not getting cut. I don't think we needed Vacciano to tell us that.

    I will agree with his assessment more when guys like Diehl and Webster are gone as well. Webster costs more than Boley and Canty, and was easily the worse player on the defense this season (Tuck was damn close). Diehl is also an expensive liability.

    So far, the only reason I think Reese got rid of AB, Boley, and Canty was because he believes in his draft and wants to see ABro/DW, JWill, and Austin step up. He doesn't have replacements on the team for Diehl or Webster (I would come cheaper and play just as well, sign me Reese!), and is yet to cut them...
    I'm pretty sure the point of the article was, you don't lose your status as a contender with these kind of cuts (like some people have been saying) as long as you have your franchise QB and your head coach, we'll be in the hunt. I agree, Reese has a track record of successfully retooling this team, and I full expect the same thing to happen here.

  5. #5
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    98,249
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMas9 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the point of the article was, you don't lose your status as a contender with these kind of cuts (like some people have been saying) as long as you have your franchise QB and your head coach, we'll be in the hunt. I agree, Reese has a track record of successfully retooling this team, and I full expect the same thing to happen here.
    It's a balancing act and I trust Reese to know just how far to go in the cut department.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    It's a balancing act and I trust Reese to know just how far to go in the cut department.
    Exactly. The Pats and Colts re-tooled like this for years during their windows of success, while keeping a small, yet important nucleus together (most importantly Manning and Brady). We have the essential pieces in place to remain a good team.

  7. #7
    All-Pro gmen46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    5,962
    Quote Originally Posted by VBGiantsFan View Post
    This is a "thank you captain obvious" kind of article. A 2x Superbowl winning QB in his prime is probably not getting cut. I don't think we needed Vacciano to tell us that.

    I will agree with his assessment more when guys like Diehl and Webster are gone as well. Webster costs more than Boley and Canty, and was easily the worse player on the defense this season (Tuck was damn close). Diehl is also an expensive liability.

    So far, the only reason I think Reese got rid of AB, Boley, and Canty was because he believes in his draft and wants to see ABro/DW, JWill, and Austin step up. He doesn't have replacements on the team for Diehl or Webster (I would come cheaper and play just as well, sign me Reese!), and is yet to cut them...
    I guess you haven't been reading any of the dozens of posts on this board the past few weeks (or the past few years, for that matter).

    Of course, this article should be an example of stating the obvious, but there are many on this board for whom I would say this article should be mandatory reading.

  8. #8
    All-Pro Sarcasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manussa Loka
    Posts
    6,237
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    I guess you haven't been reading any of the dozens of posts on this board the past few weeks (or the past few years, for that matter).

    Of course, this article should be an example of stating the obvious, but there are many on this board for whom I would say this article should be mandatory reading.

    Reading and comprehending are not the same thing. Many will read it.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts