+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    102,344

    Jerry Reese Knows When It's Time To Cut Bait

    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...7gay9LIa3zRH1K

    Wellington Mara called it “a day of overwhelming sadness’’ as the Giants tossed Phil Simms onto the scrap heap, making him the first high-profile salary cap casualty in franchise history. This was after the 1993 season. While few, if any, of the player releases that followed have been as emotional, this latest barrage is a reminder of the NFL life cycle.

    “It’s a machine,’’ Luke Petitgout told The Post yesterday. “Players think they have the power and the leverage. It’s the team. It never stops. It spits people out left and right.’’


    The machine this week churned out linebacker Michael Boley, defensive tackle Chris Canty and, most cruelly, running back Ahmad Bradshaw, whom Giants fans might view the way Dorothy lamented Scarecrow, knowing she would miss him most of all. More could follow. Players who contributed to a Super Bowl championship and, in Bradshaw’s case, two of them, are always more difficult to send packing. Some may laud general manager Jerry Reese for his decisiveness, but the real trick is to find replacements because right now, today, the Giants aren’t any better than they were a few days ago.

    “He’s basically getting rid of the guys before they expire, so to speak,’’ Petitgout said.


    The man knows what time it is. Just as Simms was a first for the former general manager, George Young, Petitgout was the first for Reese back in 2007, the first big-ticket player to be shown the door not long after Reese took the baton from Ernie Accorsi. A reliable left tackle, Petitgout was a first-round pick from Notre Dame and he lasted eight years with the Giants. He still recalls he was “shocked’’ around Valentine’s Day in 2007 when he was summoned into Tom Coughlin’s office.


    In the weeks that followed, Petitgout did not hide his bitterness, at the time claiming he was “basically kicked off the club” by Reese.
    “I wasn’t exactly Mary Poppins on my way out,’’ Petitgout said six years later. “I think that’s just because I love the Giants. That’s really what the bottom line is. It hurts a player to the soul. It’s like back to the playground days of the last guy to get picked, that kind of deal.’’ Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1






    # 80

  2. #2
    Veteran ibbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamilton Canada
    Posts
    2,310
    Do we blame the players union for allowing the owners to set the cap at the rate it now is?
    Last edited by ibbill; 02-08-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

  3. #3
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    102,344
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbill View Post
    Do we blame the players union for allowing the owners to set the cap at the rate it now is?
    Why does anyone need to be blamed? If we didn't have the CAP, teams in the largest media markets would dominate the NFL.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1






    # 80

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Why does anyone need to be blamed? If we didn't have the CAP, teams in the largest media markets would dominate the NFL.
    agreed, no team should have an advantage over the other.

  5. #5
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    102,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    agreed, no team should have an advantage over the other.
    The NLF has Wellington Mara to thank for parity. It's really a good thing. The amount can always be argued, but not the purpose in having it.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1






    # 80

  6. #6
    All-Pro JJC7301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    5,324
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    The NLF has Wellington Mara to thank for parity. It's really a good thing. The amount can always be argued, but not the purpose in having it.
    The cap is one of the things that makes the NFL the best sport in the world. Love that smaller cities have the same chances as the big ones.

  7. #7
    Veteran RagTime Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Carlstadt, NJ
    Posts
    4,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    agreed, no team should have an advantage over the other.
    The cap only covers players. Big market teams still have an advantage in recruiting coaches and front-office, and facilities.

    But I agree that the NFL has done the best job of putting out a fair and balanced product. NHL has also come around. In the NBA, star-power is just too powerful. It's just what you get when you only have 5 men playing at once. MLB tried to do something by instituting revenue-sharing, but it's done the opposite, by letting poor teams with bad attendance become profitable by keeping payroll down.

  8. #8
    All-Pro jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    20,403
    Quote Originally Posted by RagTime Blue View Post
    The cap only covers players. Big market teams still have an advantage in recruiting coaches and front-office, and facilities.

    But I agree that the NFL has done the best job of putting out a fair and balanced product. NHL has also come around. In the NBA, star-power is just too powerful. It's just what you get when you only have 5 men playing at once. MLB tried to do something by instituting revenue-sharing, but it's done the opposite, by letting poor teams with bad attendance become profitable by keeping payroll down.
    I think we also have a big advantage for some players like Cruz who envision a career in the media post football. Does Michael Strahan get the big money gig in the morning if he spent his career in Kansas City? The Giants and Cruz need to keep that in mind as they work their way through this negotiation. Don't get me wrong, if he stays he needs to be fairly paid but in the end, a few less bucks (whatever that is) with the Giants could be worth many more lifetime dollars.
    No one remembers who came in second.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Why does anyone need to be blamed? If we didn't have the CAP, teams in the largest media markets would dominate the NFL.
    I have zero Sympathy for organizations who don't have as much money and wouldn't be able to keep up with the Bigger Successful Franchises. The CAP is in place only to level the playing field money-wise, which is BS.

    If the smaller organizations feel this is unfair..then find a way to make more money...find a way to fill your seats...but don't expect a handicap for your benefit...it's pathetic.

  10. #10
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    102,344
    Quote Originally Posted by ELI_Iz_God View Post
    I have zero Sympathy for organizations who don't have as much money and wouldn't be able to keep up with the Bigger Successful Franchises. The CAP is in place only to level the playing field money-wise, which is BS.

    If the smaller organizations feel this is unfair..then find a way to make more money...find a way to fill your seats...but don't expect a handicap for your benefit...it's pathetic.
    The NFL would not have the teams it has were it not for CAP
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1






    # 80

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts