+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerry Reese Knows When It's Time To Cut Bait

Jerry Reese Knows When It's Time To Cut Bait

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...7gay9LIa3zRH1K

Wellington Mara called it “a day of overwhelming sadness’’ as the Giants tossed Phil Simms onto the scrap heap, making him the first high-profile salary cap casualty in franchise history. This was after the 1993 season. While few, if any, of the player releases that followed have been as emotional, this latest barrage is a reminder of the NFL life cycle.

“It’s a machine,’’ Luke Petitgout told The Post yesterday. “Players think they have the power and the leverage. It’s the team. It never stops. It spits people out left and right.’’

The machine this week churned out linebacker Michael Boley, defensive tackle Chris Canty and, most cruelly, running back Ahmad Bradshaw, whom Giants fans might view the way Dorothy lamented Scarecrow, knowing she would miss him most of all. More could follow. Players who contributed to a Super Bowl championship and, in Bradshaw’s case, two of them, are always more difficult to send packing. Some may laud general manager Jerry Reese for his decisiveness, but the real trick is to find replacements because right now, today, the Giants aren’t any better than they were a few days ago.

“He’s basically getting rid of the guys before they expire, so to speak,’’ Petitgout said.

The man knows what time it is. Just as Simms was a first for the former general manager, George Young, Petitgout was the first for Reese back in 2007, the first big-ticket player to be shown the door not long after Reese took the baton from Ernie Accorsi. A reliable left tackle, Petitgout was a first-round pick from Notre Dame and he lasted eight years with the Giants. He still recalls he was “shocked’’ around Valentine’s Day in 2007 when he was summoned into Tom Coughlin’s office.

In the weeks that followed, Petitgout did not hide his bitterness, at the time claiming he was “basically kicked off the club” by Reese.
    “I wasn’t exactly Mary Poppins on my way out,’’ Petitgout said six years later. “I think that’s just because I love the Giants. That’s really what the bottom line is. It hurts a player to the soul. It’s like back to the playground days of the last guy to get picked, that kind of deal.’’ Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Do we blame the players union for allowing the owners to set the cap at the rate it now is?
    Last edited by ibbill; 02-08-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

I liked Petitgout alot but Reese let him go for a reason he declined and if not mistaken he was out of the nfl a year later. The Giants are loyal to players more than any other team in the nfl. Green Bay is a close second but we had to cut ways with these players yes its cap room but these players aint worth the money they are being paid. Osi could have retired a Giant had he been smarter about his contract. Tuck will retire a Giant we have a rich history and its amazing to see this team continue their sucess.

I keep getting the feeling we are in a rebuilding era, but trying to resist it, prolonging the time until we are once again a great team.

If Simms was a salary cap dump, could Eli be with his $20M yearly salary that is crippling the team?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    I keep getting the feeling we are in a rebuilding era, but trying to resist it, prolonging the time until we are once again a great team.

If Simms was a salary cap dump, could Eli be with his $20M yearly salary that is crippling the team?
    We won't know until FA is done.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I see it more as an adjustment period than rebuilding. It's almost like the Giants are smoozing their way out a precarious situation right now. I believe the real rebuilding period will come in about two years when the Giants decide to draft Eli's successor... and start looking to the future with eyes on life after his enormous contract.

I don't think we are in rebuilding mode until we don't have a healthy, special Eli. He had a down year last year, not surprising with the turnstile RT situation, but I won't call it rebuilding until we don't have a Hall of Fame level QB and in any big game we still have that.

Simms had just completed his 15th season in the pros. And although he had a very good 1993 and took Giants to the post season, Young had to have been asking himself "how many more years does Phil have left, producing at that level? One? Two?" Young weighed the pros and cons, just as Reese does every year. As much as I truly hated the decision at the time, it still was clear to me that he'd made a business decision to pivot to the future with a young QB just starting out. It was the misfortune for the organization and for all us fans that the "future" was embodied at the time in the form of Dave Brown.

Eli, entering his 10th season, is still in the prime of his career. The two situations (Simms and Manning) are nowhere near close to being comparable.

Eli has at minimum 6 or 7 years of highly productive seasons left. I'm basing that number on his family history (primarily Peyton coming off his 16th--15th playing--season nearly being named for his 5th MVP award) and on the average number of high productive seasons many of his predecessors have had in the NFL.

There is no "rebuilding" going on with the Giants. It's called the NFL Off-Season in the era of salary caps and free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by ibbill View Post
    Do we blame the players union for allowing the owners to set the cap at the rate it now is?
    Why does anyone need to be blamed? If we didn't have the CAP, teams in the largest media markets would dominate the NFL.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Why does anyone need to be blamed? If we didn't have the CAP, teams in the largest media markets would dominate the NFL.
    agreed, no team should have an advantage over the other.

+ Reply to Thread