+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerry Reese Knows When It's Time To Cut Bait

Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    I see it more as an adjustment period than rebuilding. It's almost like the Giants are smoozing their way out a precarious situation right now. I believe the real rebuilding period will come in about two years when the Giants decide to draft Eli's successor... and start looking to the future with eyes on life after his enormous contract.
    +1....rebuilding is more like what the Eagles are going through right now: entirely new coaching staff, possibly a new QB, changing of their personnel and playbooks...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    agreed, no team should have an advantage over the other.
    The NLF has Wellington Mara to thank for parity. It's really a good thing. The amount can always be argued, but not the purpose in having it.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    +1....rebuilding is more like what the Eagles are going through right now: entirely new coaching staff, possibly a new QB, changing of their personnel and playbooks...etc.
    True, whatever continuity they may have had left with Reid
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    I keep getting the feeling we are in a rebuilding era, but trying to resist it, prolonging the time until we are once again a great team.

If Simms was a salary cap dump, could Eli be with his $20M yearly salary that is crippling the team?
    We are rebuilding a year removed from Super Bowl? Ain't we overreacting? I guess this is just the same crap, different year.

Not convinced of this until we cut Diehl lol

He's cutting people because he has no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by I Bleed Blue 56 View Post
    I liked Petitgout alot but Reese let him go for a reason he declined and if not mistaken he was out of the nfl a year later. The Giants are loyal to players more than any other team in the nfl. Green Bay is a close second but we had to cut ways with these players yes its cap room but these players aint worth the money they are being paid. Osi could have retired a Giant had he been smarter about his contract. Tuck will retire a Giant we have a rich history and its amazing to see this team continue their sucess.
    I agree but would add. It is not the cap at the core of the cuts. It is the production we receive from the player in relation to their salary. Petigout, never great, had declining skills with a salary that was disconnected from his contributions. He was understandably hurt, even offended but his decision was as easy as Boley and Canty. AB was a little different. He might be worth the money but in total, we can't afford to commit that much dough to the running back position given how much we are soon to pay Wilson and how much we need to fill out the rest of the roster. Still, cutting AB was the right decision.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    I see it more as an adjustment period than rebuilding. It's almost like the Giants are smoozing their way out a precarious situation right now. I believe the real rebuilding period will come in about two years when the Giants decide to draft Eli's successor... and start looking to the future with eyes on life after his enormous contract.
    And I hope it will be Texas A &M's Johnny Manziel.
    2014 Our Picks "Don't you just love this draft?! "#Sexy
    Round, Player, Position

1) Pick- Odell Beckham Jr.! /WR
    2) Pick- Weston Richburg /C
    3) Pick- Jay Bromley /DT
    4) Pick- Andre Williams! /RB
    5) Pick- Nat Berhe! /SS
    5) Pick- Devon Kennard /LB (Comp.)
    6) Pick- Bennett Jackson /CB

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...7gay9LIa3zRH1K

Wellington Mara called it “a day of overwhelming sadness’’ as the Giants tossed Phil Simms onto the scrap heap, making him the first high-profile salary cap casualty in franchise history. This was after the 1993 season. While few, if any, of the player releases that followed have been as emotional, this latest barrage is a reminder of the NFL life cycle.

“It’s a machine,’’ Luke Petitgout told The Post yesterday. “Players think they have the power and the leverage. It’s the team. It never stops. It spits people out left and right.’’

The machine this week churned out linebacker Michael Boley, defensive tackle Chris Canty and, most cruelly, running back Ahmad Bradshaw, whom Giants fans might view the way Dorothy lamented Scarecrow, knowing she would miss him most of all. More could follow. Players who contributed to a Super Bowl championship and, in Bradshaw’s case, two of them, are always more difficult to send packing. Some may laud general manager Jerry Reese for his decisiveness, but the real trick is to find replacements because right now, today, the Giants aren’t any better than they were a few days ago.

“He’s basically getting rid of the guys before they expire, so to speak,’’ Petitgout said.

The man knows what time it is. Just as Simms was a first for the former general manager, George Young, Petitgout was the first for Reese back in 2007, the first big-ticket player to be shown the door not long after Reese took the baton from Ernie Accorsi. A reliable left tackle, Petitgout was a first-round pick from Notre Dame and he lasted eight years with the Giants. He still recalls he was “shocked’’ around Valentine’s Day in 2007 when he was summoned into Tom Coughlin’s office.

In the weeks that followed, Petitgout did not hide his bitterness, at the time claiming he was “basically kicked off the club” by Reese.
    “I wasn’t exactly Mary Poppins on my way out,’’ Petitgout said six years later. “I think that’s just because I love the Giants. That’s really what the bottom line is. It hurts a player to the soul. It’s like back to the playground days of the last guy to get picked, that kind of deal.’’ Read more...
    Lol I can't believe he was shocked when they let him go, they should have dropped him after that infamous Seattle game

Great article and JR makes the right move 99% of the time on cutting the cord. That's why, while sad, I'm not mad that AB (my favorite player) got cut.

But I still fault JR for letting Cofield walk and keeping Canty who just got cut. That was just stupid.

+ Reply to Thread