+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Reese Knows When It's Time To Cut Bait

Quote Originally Posted by Rat_bastich View Post
    the New York Post is like someone that read a newspaper or heard a news story and they are trying to explain what they read to someone else.
    I like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    agreed, no team should have an advantage over the other.
    The cap only covers players. Big market teams still have an advantage in recruiting coaches and front-office, and facilities.

But I agree that the NFL has done the best job of putting out a fair and balanced product. NHL has also come around. In the NBA, star-power is just too powerful. It's just what you get when you only have 5 men playing at once. MLB tried to do something by instituting revenue-sharing, but it's done the opposite, by letting poor teams with bad attendance become profitable by keeping payroll down.

Quote Originally Posted by Rat_bastich View Post
    I'm trying to remember which comedian said that the New York Post is like someone that read a newspaper or heard a news story and they are trying to explain what they read to someone else.
    Let me know if you remember who that was, i'd love to look up video on that...

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    And we have the benefit of knowing a player is overpaid years after the signing
    I view the managing of the salary cap as another way we compete just as important as game prep and gameday execution.

If the FO wastes money on the wrong person, that dramatically impacts the construction of the remaining team and that gets directly to talent.

Stated differently, we are not going to win a SB without great talent and we are not going to have a great and balanced roster if we spend too much on one position or spend too much on a player who underperforms etc. It is a cool part of being an NFL fan and why the NFL off season is the best off season in professional sports.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Montemayor View Post
    And I hope it will be Texas A &M's Johnny Manziel.
    you do realize that "Johnny Football" will come out the overall number 1 Pick of that years Draft. The GIANTS would have to lose all but 1 or 2 games that prior year or Trade up like Crazy in order to have a shot at him.
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by RagTime Blue View Post
    The cap only covers players. Big market teams still have an advantage in recruiting coaches and front-office, and facilities.

But I agree that the NFL has done the best job of putting out a fair and balanced product. NHL has also come around. In the NBA, star-power is just too powerful. It's just what you get when you only have 5 men playing at once. MLB tried to do something by instituting revenue-sharing, but it's done the opposite, by letting poor teams with bad attendance become profitable by keeping payroll down.
    I think we also have a big advantage for some players like Cruz who envision a career in the media post football. Does Michael Strahan get the big money gig in the morning if he spent his career in Kansas City? The Giants and Cruz need to keep that in mind as they work their way through this negotiation. Don't get me wrong, if he stays he needs to be fairly paid but in the end, a few less bucks (whatever that is) with the Giants could be worth many more lifetime dollars.
    No one remembers who came in second.

However it will be worth it as I see him as being one of the QBs that will come out just like all the ones last year that made an automatic impact on their teams records turning them around from bad teams to playoffs teams in the span of one season
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I view the managing of the salary cap as another way we compete just as important as game prep and gameday execution.

If the FO wastes money on the wrong person, that dramatically impacts the construction of the remaining team and that gets directly to talent.

Stated differently, we are not going to win a SB without great talent and we are not going to have a great and balanced roster if we spend too much on one position or spend too much on a player who underperforms etc. It is a cool part of being an NFL fan and why the NFL off season is the best off season in professional sports.
    I agree with this comment, in general, especially your first sentence.

I'd go further. The issue is not whether a team is perennially at, or over, the cap, as some on this board seem to believe (and chastise Reese for).

The issue instead is how the cap is managed year-to-year, and how much value a given team gets out of its management of the cap.

For example, I think it's noteworthy that 4 of the last 6 Super Bowl winners (Giants, Steelers, Saints, Giants) entered this off season over the cap. And the Ravens, who enter the 2013 off season approx $12 mi under the cap, are about to become a team with a severe cap issue when they sign a new Flacco contract.

On the other hand, two examples of teams who do not manage their cap issues very well each year are #1 Jets ($23 mil over this year) and #2 Cowboys ($21 mil over).

Just like it is foolish to judge a player's overall worth for his performance on just 1 play, or even in just 1 game--good or bad--it is foolish to slam Reese for continuously juggling players to keep within the cap (just like every other GM is required to do) when his results overall have been not only good, but better than most.

This measure applies to certain "exceptions" as well, in reference to an individual compensation package. How many times over the past 3 years have we seen criticism on [I]this[/I] board of Eli's "too high" compensation? We see that a lot regarding Rolle's contract as well. There are some others who fit that mold for some fans, but these are 2 in particular that are likely judged by Reese % Co to be worth every penny of their contracts because of the market place today and because of everything aside from raw stats they bring to the Giants.

Has Reese made some mistakes? Of course. Every other GM has, too. But his good moves--in the draft and in FA--far surpass his "failures". And we have 2 Championships--and counting--during his 6 years as GM that confirm this conclusion. How many other teams' GMs can make that claim since the beginning of the salary cap era 20 years ago? Pats? Steelers? Broncos? And I'm not even sure if the Steelers and Pats had the same GM for all of their SB wins.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post

I think that's true. It's a delicate balancing act. I think the amount of restructuring that was done finally caught up with us.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Why does anyone need to be blamed? If we didn't have the CAP, teams in the largest media markets would dominate the NFL.
    I have zero Sympathy for organizations who don't have as much money and wouldn't be able to keep up with the Bigger Successful Franchises. The CAP is in place only to level the playing field money-wise, which is BS.

If the smaller organizations feel this is unfair..then find a way to make more money...find a way to fill your seats...but don't expect a handicap for your benefit...it's pathetic.

+ Reply to Thread