+ Reply to Thread

Ravens First TD - Xs and Os breakdown

4-wide, Boldin on a LB, huge mismatch, money.. TD and the safety is caught lost in coverage, didn't know who to help until it's too late.

After looking at the break-down, I'm gonna have to check the game.
    There must've been defensive holding prior to the pass on the 2nd down play, or something.
    On the first look the ball was spotted on the 18 and on 3rd it was upr around the 13.
    Can't recall the distance to go for first down but, early on like that with an empty set, you have to ask your S's to keep the play in front of them.
    my beer drinking team has a football problem

Quote Originally Posted by poppa smurph View Post
    After looking at the break-down, I'm gonna have to check the game.
    There must've been defensive holding prior to the pass on the 2nd down play, or something.
    On the first look the ball was spotted on the 18 and on 3rd it was upr around the 13.
    Can't recall the distance to go for first down but, early on like that with an empty set, you have to ask your S's to keep the play in front of them.
    Good attention to detail. It was 3rd and 9 the first play, then 3rd and 5, they said DEF was offsides.

Do you suppose the Ravens caught the D napping when they switched where Pitta and Boldin were lining up?

Do you suppose the Ravens caught the D napping when they switched where Pitta and Boldin were lining up?
    Personally, I don't think so. I think the coverage was an automatic check by the defense... "if they come out in this, we're going to play 2-Man Under" and that's what they got both times. Joe Flacco doesn't even look off the safety, he's going after him the whole time. I don't think the 49ers brought enough pressure the entire game.

Looking over this again, Whitner doesn't slink back in coverage at all, and Pitta got inside postion on his guy. Whitner froze, and Flacco/Boldin made em pay.
    Did the Ravens have a RB on there? What's wierd is the personel the 9er's had on the field. Myself, if I see them 5-wide with no Back at that point of the field, I'm getting all my LB's outta there.

Looking over this again, Whitner doesn't slink back in coverage at all, and Pitta got inside postion on his guy. Whitner froze, and Flacco/Boldin made em pay.
    Did the Ravens have a RB on there? What's wierd is the personel the 9er's had on the field. Myself, if I see them 5-wide with no Back at that point of the field, I'm getting all my LB's outta there.
    I think Rice may have been the #1 WR on the left side, but I can't tell... either way, he's got good hands and is a threat to catch the ball. Whitner had an awful game, look at the Jacoby Jones TD... yikes

The 49ers definitely failed to brig the pressure. Justin Smith was gimpy all game. Aldon didn't even show up. He was definitely affected by Justins injury and lack of push.

That basically exposed SF's weak secondary. Whitner was terrible covering. He's better in run defense. Goldson the same, I don't think they'll shell out the cash just for a big-hit safety.
    Last edited by Rusty192; 02-10-2013 at 06:43 PM.