+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Book Review: "Earn The Right To WIn"

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5852

Excerpt: "Shortly before Tom Coughlin was to take the podium for his introductory press conference with the New York media in 2004, I remember reaching out to a colleague who, at the time was with the Jacksonville media and who had covered Coughlin as head coach to the Jaguars to ask him what the New York media expect from the Giants’ new head coach.
    His response?“Good luck dealing with that crusty old son of a b—-.”

I won’t lie – it was tough at first. The liberties the media enjoyed under former head coach Jim Fassel– year-round access to the assistant coaches, admittance to the full daily in-season practices, and courteous responses to even the most ridiculous of questions–were all about to be yanked away from us, and, by extension, our readers.

Yet as I watched this feisty gentleman come in like a lion, intent on restoring pride that he felt had somehow gotten lost, any trepidation I had about him working out in the toughest media market in the country soon dissipated.
    In his book, Coughlin provides the logic behind his one-time headline grabbing rules and practices that he has employed throughout his coaching career–the little things that have resulted in two Super Bowl championships with the Giants.

He shares stories from his early days growing up and as a coach; many motivational quotes from leaders such as General Patton, John Wooden, and Abraham Lincoln; and he does so in such a way that is not condescending, as was his style earlier in his career as Giants head coach, but which is more like that of an old sage trying to share his life experiences with anyone willing to listen.

As I was going through the 210-page book, I thought, “Oh I remember hearing this story.” But the stories that he shares, some of which may be new to the casual observer, drive home more than what makes him tick.

Yes, winning football games is important, and that was clear when he spoke about how he disciplined players who broke his rules, regardless if they were starters or backups. But there’s a bigger picture that some people don’t fully understand and that is sticking to one’s principles to achieve success and making sure that you don’t cut corners if you want to be the best.

He talks about being a stickler for detail and we learn the reason he obsesses with every little thing. For instance, when MetLife Stadium was finally completed, he and his assistants charted every little detail about the winds, the angle of the sun throughout the day, and other items that would ultimately factor into key coaching decisions such as when to defer on a kickoff, which end zone to defend, and when to try for a long pass or field goal." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Thanks looks like a good read the publish date is 3/5/2013 will have to pick it up

Veteran
    The title should be "Old School Still Works (even with all the prima-donnas, ***s, and doubters)"

The excerpt seemed to be mostly press complaining about access. Tough on them. I'll buy the book.

TC will be better appreciated when he's retired
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    You're right about that and it's sad because he is an amazing coach and the best coach we have had since parcells. Coughlin will lead us to at least one more Super Bowl in the Eli era and they will both be in the hall when their time comes. I have always supported TC and appreciated his greatness. Can't wait to read his second book

Quote Originally Posted by RichGiants81 View Post
    You're right about that and it's sad because he is an amazing coach and the best coach we have had since parcells. Coughlin will lead us to at least one more Super Bowl in the Eli era and they will both be in the hall when their time comes. I have always supported TC and appreciated his greatness. Can't wait to read his second book
    Fans can be very unforgiving

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    What it is,,,and shall always be.

God damn Roanoak, I just noticed you have like 70,000 posts, I think you deserve a vacation

Quote Originally Posted by juice33s View Post
    God damn Roanoak, I just noticed you have like 70,000 posts, I think you deserve a vacation
    That's a lot of BS

# 80

Excuse my ignorance, but is this a new book or one that has been out?