+ Reply to Thread

POLITI: GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN BEATS JETS' REX RYAN BUT DOESN'T NEED TO SAY SO

POLITI: GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN BEATS JETS' REX RYAN BUT DOESN'T NEED TO SAY SO

"This was a victory for the Giants
    way of doing business, and the man who embodies that better than anyone limped
    off the field today with a throbbing left leg and a head held high.

Tom Coughlin loves to quote military leaders, and in his finest moment this
    season, he even looked like a general returning from the battlefield. A nasty
    collision left him hobbled, but after watching his team shut up its loudmouth
    neighbors with a
    29-14 victory,
    he couldn’t stop smiling.

“Never better!” he practically yelled when asked how he was feeling. “Thanks
    for asking!”

That was as close as Coughlin would come to gloating late this afternoon, but
    if anyone deserved to pound his chest, it was him. His team was the best in this
    corner of the NFL world, by a mile, in the one game it mattered. His team was
    hungrier, better prepared and more focused in a season-on-the-brink matchup with
    the Jets.

Rex Ryan did the talking. Coughlin did the winning. Did he have any message
    for the rival coach — the Patrick Ewing of football coaches when it comes to
    undelivered guarantees — who did everything but set his résumé on fire in the
    days leading up to this one?

“We won the game,” Coughlin said. “That’s the statement.”

There will be more statements in days and weeks to come, and that likely
    includes one from the Giants announcing a contract extension for their head
    coach. Owner John Mara wasn’t going there today, because he said it would “just
    lead to more speculation.” But the look on his face said everything.

The Jets had classlessly covered up the Giants three Super Bowl murals with
    black curtains, but Mara was beaming like they had just won a fourth. They get
    to host the Cowboys with a division title on the line next week, and maybe
    Mara’s mood will change if the Giants get their doors blown off.

That’s not likely — and Coughlin, for what he’s done to hold this team
    together, deserves to come back. He’s taken an undermanned, injury-riddled team
    to within a victory of the postseason, and it certainly doesn’t hurt that he
    ripped the tent off the circus act that shares MetLife Stadium.

“What do you think? It does,” Mara said when asked if this victory means more
    to him. “Given everything that was at stake, given all the noise coming out of
    Florham Park, yes it does.”

Plenty of that noise, it should be noted, came from East Rutherford, too,
    including in the aftermath of this game. Brandon Jacobs couldn’t stop himself
    from running up to Ryan and yelling “time to shut up, fat boy” — the coach had
    to be pulled away from the running back — an unnecessary gesture even if, well,
    he’s right.

None of the noise came from Coughlin. It was Ryan who couldn’t help himself,
    behaving like a chef expecting a four-star review before the salad was served.
    “Certainly we were the better team in (my) first two years,” Ryan said. “We made
    the playoffs, went to the championship game. To say a team’s better than you
    that never went to the playoffs is ridiculous.”

Just one problem, Rex: Coughlin never said that. He never said anything close
    to that. In that way, this was more than a victory for the Giants. It was a
    victory for the old-school way of conducting yourself as a head coach. It was
    victory for class.

Ryan was supposed to be the master motivator, the one who bragged about his
    ice-cream socials with the offense each week. Coughlin was supposed to be the
    guy his players tuned out, the clock-watching dinosaur pushing these gym-teacher
    concepts like “accountability” and “teamwork.”

Nothing the Jets said was tacked onto some bulletin board, but that doesn’t
    mean Coughlin didn’t motivate. Justin Tuck gushed about the way Coughlin pulled
    him aside during the week, asking him if everything was okay in his private life
    and then made a simple request.

“He asked me to give him what I had,” Tuck said, and of course, the defensive
    lineman gave everything in his finest game of the season. The Giants defensive
    front was all over quarterback Mark Sanchez, who’ll be an easy target as the
    Jets pick up the pieces here.

But no one should forget this: Sanchez dropped back to throw 59 times. That’s
    on the coaching staff. Maybe it’ll lead to Ryan firing offensive coordinator
    Brian Schottenheimer, but some of the blame has to come back to the man in
    charge, too.

Ryan spent another offseason making promises he couldn’t keep, talking about
    the Super Bowl he was going to win. Imagine how Coughlin felt when he showed up
    at his stadium today and saw the mural for the one he did win covered up with a
    curtain.

Of course, that’s the beauty of Coughlin. We’ll have to imagine. “I won’t
    mention what I thought,” he said, handling himself in victory the way he did
    before kickoff. With his head held high. With class."
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: POLITI: GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN BEATS JETS' REX RYAN BUT DOESN'T NEED TO SAY SO

This points to everything I love about this team and about why I admire Coughlin as head coach.

Which is why I'm driven a bit nuts every time those posters on this board drone on about how Coughlin is "old school and the game has passed him by" and how " Coughlin has lost the players" and how "so many players on the team don't respect Coughlin".

Absurd and rather ignorant of reality.

Re: POLITI: GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN BEATS JETS' REX RYAN BUT DOESN'T NEED TO SAY SO

[quote user="gmen46"]This points to everything I love about this team and about why I admire Coughlin as head coach.

Which is why I'm driven a bit nuts every time those posters on this board drone on about how Coughlin is "old school and the game has passed him by" and how " Coughlin has lost the players" and how "so many players on the team don't respect Coughlin".

Absurd and rather ignorant of reality.[/quote]

Well said brother

Then you'd really like the article where Jacobs said "I love Coach Coughlin."
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]Then you'd really like the article where Jacobs said "I love Coach Coughlin."
    [/quote]

I would, if I'd seen it.

[quote user="Eli TO Shockey"][quote user="gmen46"]This points to everything I love about this team and about why I admire Coughlin as head coach.

Well said brother[/quote]

Love the Social Assassin. I aspire to his abilities.

[quote user="gmen46"]This points to everything I love about this team and about why I admire Coughlin as head coach.

Couldn't agree more- Coughlin has done an amazing coaching job this year...thats the reality. What i love about the way TC handles his business, he handles it the right way, a classy coach for a classy old school organisation. He completely out coached Ryan in every facet of the game. Sure the Jets had the histrionics, sound and fury and running their mouths. The Giants simply handled their business and made the jets look like the chumps they are. I hope people realise we're very lucky to have a coach like Coughlin-he's simply one of the best in the game.

I have been a fan of TC but I will admit after the Skins game, I even said that maybe the game has passed him by...maybe not fully,but in some ways...but the man is a class act no matter if you like his coaching style or not...and he has kept the team together for the most part...now if he would get rid of Fewell and Killdrive...lol