+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Tampa Bay Buccaners Expected To Pursue Giants' TE Martellus Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by GiantRoc View Post
    Most top offenses use TEs very well. Thats one reason I have never been crazy about Gilbride. I think the lack of using TEs as a regular weapon, as well as RBs in the passing game, shows his limitations in offensive game planning. I like the guy, and I think he proved his worth. It isn't his fault Gilbride lacks imagination. Sign him.
    You can't have top 5 player at every position. We are not going to pay Nicks, Cruz, and Bennett top 5 money, so who do you think of the three will not get top 5 money? rhetorical question We won the last SB on the strength of his offense. Nobody is going to make Bennett the feature of any offense when you have Nicks and Cruz. Offenses are customized to personnel. When the Gilbride offense had 3 good WRs it was at it's best. I think with the progression of Randle and if Nicks and Cruz can stay healthy combined with Gilbride's adjustments to the league's adjustment to this offense we will regain our form.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    You can't have top 5 player at every position. We are not going to pay Nicks, Cruz, and Bennett top 5 money, so who do you think of the three will not get top 5 money? rhetorical question We won the last SB on the strength of his offense. Nobody is going to make Bennett the feature of any offense when you have Nicks and Cruz. Offenses are customized to personnel. When the Gilbride offense had 3 good WRs it was at it's best. I think with the progression of Randle and if Nicks and Cruz can stay healthy combined with Gilbride's adjustments to the league's adjustment to this offense we will regain our form.
    You are assuming he will demand top 5 money. We pay what we can pay. To say we should ignore an excellent TE because we have gotten by in the past, doesn't make sense to me. Obviously we can't break the bank for him, but don't throw the guy away without a decent attempt to keep him. We can't always depend on the bomd. What are we, the 70s Raiders? If we rely on that offense alone. and we get an injury to Nicks or Cruz or Whoever #3 is, we will be 9-7 again watching the playoffs. Why bother with a TE at all? Just line up another tackle. All I am saying is get the guy if he is being reasonable. But if you want to save the money to give Cruz $10 mil a year, I guess its an option. I just don't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantRoc View Post
    You are assuming he will demand top 5 money. We pay what we can pay. To say we should ignore an excellent TE because we have gotten by in the past, doesn't make sense to me. Obviously we can't break the bank for him, but don't throw the guy away without a decent attempt to keep him. We can't always depend on the bomd. What are we, the 70s Raiders? If we rely on that offense alone. and we get an injury to Nicks or Cruz or Whoever #3 is, we will be 9-7 again watching the playoffs. Why bother with a TE at all? Just line up another tackle. All I am saying is get the guy if he is being reasonable. But if you want to save the money to give Cruz $10 mil a year, I guess its an option. I just don't agree.
    We're all getting ahead of the event(s). Is Reese done releasing players? Is he not going to ask for reduced pay in some cases and then release if they won't? He is able to project how much he needs to sign all of the draft choices. How much more CAP space does he need to do what he wants to do?

Does Nicks beg off so he can negotiate after a better season than he had last season? Reese will use his playing behind Cruz, numbers wise, for two years just as he's using signing Nicks in Cruz's negotiation.

Too many unknowns for us to have a clue.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 02-11-2013 at 06:37 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

If you would pay MB top 5 TE money, I'm glad you are not the Giants GM.
    Do not feed the trolls.

browns are targeting him also
    FUTURE NFL STAR

Veteran
    I've posted it other threads about MB, but I would love to re-sign him.

He's a very good blocker and showed to be a very good pass target.

I think he would been a bigger target if our offense was geared less toward the downfield passing game.

However, most of the stuff we've heard sound like he won't be back.

Let's hope Mike Pope can turn Adrien Robinson into a player.

I understand these players need to make a livelihood, and I shouldn't talk unless I'm in their shoes blah blah, but why the hell would you give up the opportunity to actually win the big one? These guys all make tremendous amounts of money anyway.

I guess the point I'm actually trying to make is, why would you want to play for a garbage organization like Tampa, with a disrespectful college crybaby coach like Schiano, when you are in the position to really stand out and win?

I can't think of a single team that has more then 2 or 3 top 5 players on their second contract (non rookie), at their position. This is especially the case if you have a top QB. Off the top of my head, the ravens have Reed, Suggs, and Ngata. Once Flacco gets that new contract though, it won't be possible

RF is dead on! I say if we're smart we give Nicks an offer right after Cruz, before the season starts. If he makes it through 16 games his asking price goes up. Use the same way we got Osi on the cheap, make the offer before the market appreciates. Make it juicy too, with a good amount of guaranteed money. After what happened to SS, every receiver who was here will think twice about turning down a big contract. I think Nicks has shown us what he brings to the table. He will play hard every game and play through pain and when he's healthy he is the best to wear a Giants uniform.

I think his agent will convince him to wait until next offseason and don't settle for a good but not great offer.

RF is dead on! I say if we're smart we give Nicks an offer right after Cruz, before the season starts. If he makes it through 16 games his asking price goes up. Use the same way we got Osi on the cheap, make the offer before the market appreciates. Make it juicy too, with a good amount of guaranteed money. After what happened to SS, every receiver who was here will think twice about turning down a big contract. I think Nicks has shown us what he brings to the table. He will play hard every game and play through pain and when he's healthy he is the best to wear a Giants uniform.

I think his agent will convince him to wait until next offseason and don't settle for a good but not great offer.
    It's a gamble, but if I were advising Nicks that would be my advice. If Nicks has a knock out first 8 games in 2013, I'd go to Reese and start negotiations on firmer footing than coming off a foot and knee plagued season.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

+ Reply to Thread