+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Michael Strahan get the

Does Michael Strahan get the

...........big money job with Kelly Ripa in the morning if he played football outside of New York? I think the answer is no.

If you agree with that premise, how much less can Cruz sign for here with an eye toward hitting it big with the NYC media after his playing days are over? Is it worth anything at all?

Stated differently, If Cruz can get a million dollars more to play in Cleveland or Kansas City or Houston etc,, is he impairing what he's likely to make after football had he stayed in NY?

Whether he acknowledges it or not or whether his agents allow him to consider it, I think this should be a really crucial part of their decision making over the coming months.
    Last edited by jomo; 02-10-2013 at 10:17 AM.
    No one remembers who came in second.

No offense intended, but thats a bit of a stretch. While playing in NY and having more media attention could be good, I dont think it's got that much of an influence on what one does in their life after football, if any at all. Strahan got that gig because he's a natural in front of the camera, and has the personality for it. He doesn't care about embarassing himself or making fun of himself.

It wouldn't matter where he played football IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Die-Hard View Post
    No offense intended, but thats a bit of a stretch. While playing in NY and having more media attention could be good, I dont think it's got that much of an influence on what one does in their life after football, if any at all. Strahan got that gig because he's a natural in front of the camera, and has the personality for it. He doesn't care about embarassing himself or making fun of himself.

It wouldn't matter where he played football IMO
    I think that's what Cruz' agent would say but I think he would just be off the radar of the media movers and shakers if he played elsewhere. Now, he certainly would have been a football analyst playing anywhere and from there could have launched to bigger things. I just don't think it would have happened this fast had he spent his entire career off the radar so to speak

My basic question is, "is it worth anything in these negotiations". I say yes and you are saying no.

Any other thougths out there?
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I think that's what Cruz' agent would say but I think he would just be off the radar of the media movers and shakers if he played elsewhere. Now, he certainly would have been a football analyst playing anywhere and from there could have launched to bigger things. I just don't think it would have happened this fast had he spent his entire career off the radar so to speak My basic question is, "is it worth anything in these negotiations". I say yes and you are saying no. Any other thougths out there?
    I say yes, but that's also not a reason to treat him differently than any other player. The team will tender him in 2013 if it comes to that. But then they should let him test the free agent market and not put the franchise tag on him in 2014 as some have suggested.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I say yes, but that's also not a reason to treat him differently than any other player. The team will tender him in 2013 if it comes to that. But then they should let him test the free agent market and not put the franchise tag on him in 2014 as some have suggested.

If they don't get Nicks a new contract this year, he'll also be a free agent in 2014. Franchise tag can only apply to one player. Cruz would also gladly take the franchise tag offer since it's going to be what he's looking for anyway, around $10 million for a year and 100% guaranteed, paid upfront.

All-Pro
    I am not sure that it has that much impact on their careers after football, but being in NY definitely helps to get them advertising deals during their football career. To me, this is the leverage that the Giants have during negotiations, not what might happen after they retire.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

I don't think an agent can factor in post football options that assume proficiency in another field of interest, especially factoring in how early Cruz is in his career. His media drawing power based on one SB and 1 Pro Bowl is nil. He should be trying to get as much guaranteed money as possible and be willing to play in any town.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    If they don't get Nicks a new contract this year, he'll also be a free agent in 2014. Franchise tag can only apply to one player. Cruz would also gladly take the franchise tag offer since it's going to be what he's looking for anyway, around $10 million for a year and 100% guaranteed, paid upfront.
    How do you low ball a player in 2013 and then franchise him in 2014 and not be screwing him.?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    How do you low ball a player in 2013 and then franchise him in 2014 and not be screwing him.?
    I think we learned our low balling lesson with SS. It worked out because we had Cruz sitting in our laps, but that was pure luck, even Reese admits that he didn't know Cruz was going to be this good.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    I think we learned our low balling lesson with SS. It worked out because we had Cruz sitting in our laps, but that was pure luck, even Reese admits that he didn't know Cruz was going to be this good.
    That was different in the sense that Smith was coming off a serious injury.

# 80

+ Reply to Thread