+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does Michael Strahan get the

Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    Playing in NY didn't help Tiki's post NFL career.
    I think that actually supports my point. It is not that New York makes stars. It is that the marketplace puts you front and center for greater opportunities. If Tiki had the meltdown in the Kansas City market place he would have already remade himself elsewhere. The same accellerant that can drive up value here can crush it as well.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    I guess the injury does convolute the comparison. My main point was that SS signed with a division rival and pre-injury SS was arguably our best WR. Had he recovered from the injury to regain his 2007-2009 form and we didn't by mere chance have Cruz sitting in our laps it would have been seen as the biggest FO in a while. It wasn't some grand scheme by JR. We got left standing at the alter and with no idea of who would replace SS productivity. We thought it would take longer for SS to recover but we did think he could recover. TC was visibly upset when he did the press conference at the news of SS signing with the Eagles. Things did not go as planned. IMO, given the chance we would have made a better offer if we realized he would really sign with the Eagles. We low balled him given the seriousness of his injury and got burned, but LUCKILY it worked out. We won't play the low ball game with our second super star slot receiver with no injury history.
    How did we get burned with Smith?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I think that actually supports my point. It is not that New York makes stars. It is that the marketplace puts you front and center for greater opportunities. If Tiki had the meltdown in the Kansas City market place he would have already remade himself elsewhere. The same accellerant that can drive up value here can crush it as well.
    Strahan clearly benefited from the exposure of being a Giants' play maker. But his talent shined through after the post player doors were opened. Cruz had started his clothing line before he took a regular season snap. His being here thouhg keeps him front and center and that will open other doors for him as well.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    I guess the injury does convolute the comparison. My main point was that SS signed with a division rival and pre-injury SS was arguably our best WR. Had he recovered from the injury to regain his 2007-2009 form and we didn't by mere chance have Cruz sitting in our laps it would have been seen as the biggest FO in a while. It wasn't some grand scheme by JR. We got left standing at the alter and with no idea of who would replace SS productivity. We thought it would take longer for SS to recover but we did think he could recover. TC was visibly upset when he did the press conference at the news of SS signing with the Eagles. Things did not go as planned. IMO, given the chance we would have made a better offer if we realized he would really sign with the Eagles. We low balled him given the seriousness of his injury and got burned, but LUCKILY it worked out. We won't play the low ball game with our second super star slot receiver with no injury history.
    How did we get burned with Smith?[/QUOTE]

You are suggesting that knowing more about a player's health than another team and showing discipline in our decision making now constitutes luck?

How did we get burned with Smith?
    I guess that knowing more about a player's health and showing discipline in our decision making now constitues luck?[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm getting at. Reese knew exactly what Smith was worth for that year and he was right. Ther eis no way of knowing if Smith would have eneded up on IR here or not, but TC had said he'd be maybe ready by mid-season. Would that extra time have precluded a relapse? We'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Strahan clearly benefited from the exposure of being a Giants' play maker. But his talent shined through after the post player doors were opened. Cruz had started his clothing line before he took a regular season snap. His being here thouhg keeps him front and center and that will open other doors for him as well.
    How does his clothing line sell in Cleveland? He is not yet a true National Brand. He might be some day soon and if he is, it will be in part because the bright light of the NY media was shining bright on him.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan;682266[I
    ]I guess that knowing more about a player's health and showing discipline in our decision making now constitues luck?[/[/I]QUOTE]

That's what I'm getting at. Reese knew exactly what Smith was worth for that year and he was right. Ther eis no way of knowing if Smith would have eneded up on IR here or not, but TC had said he'd be maybe ready by mid-season. Would that extra time have precluded a relapse? We'll never know.
    I'm not sure how my comment popped in there under you sig RF.

How does his clothing line sell in Cleveland? He is not yet a true National Brand. He might be some day soon and if he is, it will be in part because the bright light of the NY media was shining bright on him.
    I agreed with you, I am pointing out, though, that he was pursuing that before he had "star quality." I guess it's chicken/egg lol

There can be no question hat being IN the NY media environs is a huge plus

I'm not sure how my comment popped in there under you sig. Must have been a technical difficulty.
    You may have clicked EDIT
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 02-10-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Veteran
    Strahan has charmisa, he will stand out anywhere he is. Playing in NY didn't harm him any as far as media. Cruz has charmisa. He already has a following in his own right as well as playing for NYGiants. Both men are going to be successful in their chosen careers. That said, playing for the NYGiants gave both men a firm foundation for any future endeavors.

+ Reply to Thread