+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Michael Strahan get the

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    I think we learned our low balling lesson with SS. It worked out because we had Cruz sitting in our laps, but that was pure luck, even Reese admits that he didn't know Cruz was going to be this good.
    Smith did nothing after leaving the Giants... if anything, we learned that sometimes it is best to move on rather than overpay for a player.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Smith did nothing after leaving the Giants... if anything, we learned that sometimes it is best to move on rather than overpay for a player.
    Smith isn't really a good comparison because of his injury. I think Cruz will do well wherever he plays.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    How do you low ball a player in 2013 and then franchise him in 2014 and not be screwing him.?
    It sorta is screwing him because of the 2013 RFA/possible lowball salary. I'm saying he wouldn't mind being signing a franchise tag and be paid the average of the top 5 WRs for a year in guaranteed money.

All-Pro
    Smith isn't really a good comparison because of his injury. I think Cruz will do well wherever he plays.
    I didn't mean to suggest that he would not do well, I think he has proven he is a great receiver. And, I agree Smith was not a good comparison... but, Smith is a very good example of a player that many thought was irreplaceable, and that clearly is not the case.

If the question is, will the Giants offense be good without Cruz, I think it would be. Would it be better with him, no question. However, there is a breaking point where his salary could negatively impact the Giants ability to improve other positions, like O-line or defense.. and that is the point where you have to determine if the value he brings outweighs the negative impact at those other positions.

Either way, Cruz will be a great player, with the Giants or with another team.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

I guess the injury does convolute the comparison. My main point was that SS signed with a division rival and pre-injury SS was arguably our best WR. Had he recovered from the injury to regain his 2007-2009 form and we didn't by mere chance have Cruz sitting in our laps it would have been seen as the biggest FO in a while. It wasn't some grand scheme by JR. We got left standing at the alter and with no idea of who would replace SS productivity. We thought it would take longer for SS to recover but we did think he could recover. TC was visibly upset when he did the press conference at the news of SS signing with the Eagles. Things did not go as planned. IMO, given the chance we would have made a better offer if we realized he would really sign with the Eagles. We low balled him given the seriousness of his injury and got burned, but LUCKILY it worked out. We won't play the low ball game with our second super star slot receiver with no injury history.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I am not sure that it has that much impact on their careers after football, but being in NY definitely helps to get them advertising deals during their football career. To me, this is the leverage that the Giants have during negotiations, not what might happen after they retire.
    This is bigtime true. And cruz is already taking advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    I guess the injury does convolute the comparison. My main point was that SS signed with a division rival and pre-injury SS was arguably our best WR. Had he recovered from the injury to regain his 2007-2009 form and we didn't by mere chance have Cruz sitting in our laps it would have been seen as the biggest FO in a while. It wasn't some grand scheme by JR. We got left standing at the alter and with no idea of who would replace SS productivity. We thought it would take longer for SS to recover but we did think he could recover. TC was visibly upset when he did the press conference at the news of SS signing with the Eagles. Things did not go as planned. IMO, given the chance we would have made a better offer if we realized he would really sign with the Eagles. We low balled him given the seriousness of his injury and got burned, but LUCKILY it worked out. We won't play the low ball game with our second super star slot receiver with no injury history.
    Smith was more a medical issue than tactical. The people who conducted is surgery had a very different position as to when Smith would play that year. The Eagles blew smoke ujp his skirt and told hi they thought he could be ready for opening day and offered him $1M more than the Giants. Smith did not give the Giants a chance to match. Ae all now know the Giants medical team was correct in their assessment of Smith's recovery and all the Eagles did was put him back on IR by bringing him back too soon.

John Mara drew a line in the sand but no one knows where the line is in terms of $$$. We should have a better idea within a month.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Smith was more a medical issue than tactical. The people who conducted is surgery had a very different position as to when Smith would play that year. The Eagles blew smoke ujp his skirt and told hi they thought he could be ready for opening day and offered him $1M more than the Giants. Smith did not give the Giants a chance to match. Ae all now know the Giants medical team was correct in their assessment of Smith's recovery and all the Eagles did was put him back on IR by bringing him back too soon.

John Mara drew a line in the sand but no one knows where the line is in terms of $$$. We should have a better idea within a month.
    Someone criticized the Giants in another thread for dumping their great stars, naming Bavaro and Burt as two examples. As I recall those situations, it was the Giants medical staff that said the team should not put the players in harms way due to an accumulation of serious injures. I like the fact that we care about our players unlike the Eagles who just threw Smith out there before he was ready.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Someone criticized the Giants in another thread for dumping their great stars, naming Bavaro and Burt as two examples. As I recall those situations, it was the Giants medical staff that said the team should not put the players in harms way due to an accumulation of serious injures. I like the fact that we care about our players unlike the Eagles who just threw Smith out there before he was ready.
    Bavaro was his knees, I don't recall about Burt but you're probably right. It was the same thought process they had with Smith and Ballard. They saw Smith as not being ready until mid-season, and they protected themselves with a fair offer that the Eagles topped by $1M. Ballard was a victim of the process.

# 80

Playing in NY didn't help Tiki's post NFL career.

+ Reply to Thread