+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safe To Say Jacquian Williams Is The Best LB Ever...

Bench Player
    Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    I'm going to argue the opposite......that when we get good production out of our linebackers, the defense takes a huge step up.

Examples:

2007: Antonio Pierce and Kawika Mitchell both were very productive.Torbor was good, and Kiwi also played well until he got injured.
    2011: Chase Blackburn was signed in time to take stabilize the LB position. JWill started to come on. Boley had a career year.

I've been beating this drum for years.....a playmaking LB would turn this defense into a potentially dominating unit. But right now, there isn't a single LB on the team that any opposing offensive coordinator needs to worry about. Which is why they are free to double and triple up guys like JPP.
    Isn't it possible that our linebackers played well because of the dominance of our defensive lines? There was a time in the mid 2000s when the Ravens defense slipped a bit; the linebackers and Ray Lewis weren't producing the way they had in previous years. Ray Lewis in his exit interview demanded the team get a new nose tackle, someone who would take up two blockers and be able to hold his two gaps. Their first round pick: Haloti Ngata, and the return of the dominant defense.

Our linebacker core definitely needs an upgrade, but I think what we saw in 2007 and 2011 were a result of our defensive lines more than great LB play. Remember in 2011, we almost didn't make the playoffs, playing terrible defense for much of the year as both Osi and Tuck spent time injured. We began to click as a defensive unit upon their return (and the timely returns of our secondary also). In other words, I think our, and generally speaking, LB play is a direct reflection of our defensive line's play.

I do agree with Titwio that our linebackers are going to become more important playing against Griffin twice a year. I know the pistol is the new rage, but I wouldn't put too much stock into it if Griffin weren't in our division or if other top teams in our conference didn't run it. We won't see San Fran every year, so I wouldn't cater my defense to it. I'm very interested to see what Chip Kelly does in Philly however, because I'm not sure he'll have the pieces for his offense OR defense this next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sosynciere View Post
    Isn't it possible that our linebackers played well because of the dominance of our defensive lines? There was a time in the mid 2000s when the Ravens defense slipped a bit; the linebackers and Ray Lewis weren't producing the way they had in previous years. Ray Lewis in his exit interview demanded the team get a new nose tackle, someone who would take up two blockers and be able to hold his two gaps. Their first round pick: Haloti Ngata, and the return of the dominant defense.

Our linebacker core definitely needs an upgrade, but I think what we saw in 2007 and 2011 were a result of our defensive lines more than great LB play. Remember in 2011, we almost didn't make the playoffs, playing terrible defense for much of the year as both Osi and Tuck spent time injured. We began to click as a defensive unit upon their return (and the timely returns of our secondary also). In other words, I think our, and generally speaking, LB play is a direct reflection of our defensive line's play.

I do agree with Titwio that our linebackers are going to become more important playing against Griffin twice a year. I know the pistol is the new rage, but I wouldn't put too much stock into it if Griffin weren't in our division or if other top teams in our conference didn't run it. We won't see San Fran every year, so I wouldn't cater my defense to it. I'm very interested to see what Chip Kelly does in Philly however, because I'm not sure he'll have the pieces for his offense OR defense this next year.
    I think you make good points....and yes, the defensive line was a huge letdown this year.

But still, the linebackers primary responsibility is to stop the running game, and by that measure, they really fell short this season.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 02-10-2013 at 05:46 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Starter
    This list is just sad.....

Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    LB's are becoming more important with the way the league and especially the NFC East is shaping. With the pistol offense in Washington, to what the Eagles will be doing with Chip Kelly. LB's are becoming more of a necessity and I don't see the Giants getting by on drafting that level of talent anymore (IMO).

I definitely think Ogletree is a possibility for the Giants. Reese has shown and spoken up before on how much they value big and freakish talent. Solder, JPP etc...were guys with just raw ability that were high on the Giants board because of their make-up. Ogletree at the LB position is similar. He's going to be one of the most watched guys at the combine this year because of his freakish ability and speed. All things the Giants could look to add especially considering the way the league is shifting with big TE's and mobile QB's.
    I agree 100%. The NFL is always evolving....think about just a few years ago....pocket passers like Brees, Brady, Peyton, etc were the main offensive threat. The best way to defend them was to get a 4 man pass rush.

Now, we've got QBs that can flat outrun DE's......whereas in the past the DE's could thrive by merely flushing out QBs, now they have to maintain gap control and hold QB's in the pocket.

Add huge, athletic TE's into the mix.....guys who are too big for safeties, and too fast for guys like Blackburn.

Long story short, fast LB's who can burst through gaps, seal the edge, and cover TE's are a rising commodity.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

If we had the players, I'd like to see the defense go back to a 3-4. I look at this read-option stuff sweeping the league, and laugh thinking about what Lawrence Taylor and Carl Banks would do to an offense like that. It would be a joke.

- Emlen Tunnell

I agree 100%. The NFL is always evolving....think about just a few years ago....pocket passers like Brees, Brady, Peyton, etc were the main offensive threat. The best way to defend them was to get a 4 man pass rush.

Now, we've got QBs that can flat outrun DE's......whereas in the past the DE's could thrive by merely flushing out QBs, now they have to maintain gap control and hold QB's in the pocket.

Add huge, athletic TE's into the mix.....guys who are too big for safeties, and too fast for guys like Blackburn.

Long story short, fast LB's who can burst through gaps, seal the edge, and cover TE's are a rising commodity.
    Well said and very true.

Makes too much sense...

Starter
    When I hear "Best LB of the Reese Era" I think "Best Barry Manilow Song."
    Careful there, Joe. I am a HUGE Barry Manilow fan. It's no longer fashionable to disrespect him.

Christine

Quote Originally Posted by EasyE23 View Post
    Careful there, Joe. I am a HUGE Barry Manilow fan. It's no longer fashionable to disrespect him.

Christine
    Oops!!!!

- Emlen Tunnell

that list needs a tissue.

+ Reply to Thread