+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Who are the worst fans in the NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    They merged in 1970. NOT 1966. They just decided to play a game with each league's champions, which turned into the SB.
    The "merger" happened when the AFL and NFL became the "NFL" with Cleveland, Baltimore and Pittsburgh moving to the new "AFC".
    They signed the deal in 66, thats why I put they completely merged in 70 in parenthesis.
    Last edited by dezzzR; 04-24-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    They signed the deal in 66, thats why I put they completely merged in 70 in parenthesis.
    I was there Dez.... I know what happened.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

I was there Dez.... I know what happened.
    I bet you were you old bastad.

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    I bet you were you old bastad.
    They shared the draft earlier but the official merger did not happen until the 1970 season.
    In other words, the changeover of Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Cleveland didn't happen until 1970. And the AFL was disbanded and its teams joined the NFL in 1970.

And I AM old....but I'm well perserved.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Veteran
    They shared the draft earlier but the official merger did not happen until the 1970 season.In other words, the changeover of Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Cleveland didn't happen until 1970. And the AFL was disbanded and its teams joined the NFL in 1970.And I AM old....but I'm well perserved.
    You mean AFL and NFL formed to make a new league called the current NFL?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    The NFL had more history (1920 vs 1960). The NFL had more teams (16 vs 10). The NFL made more money. Pretty clear that this was not a merger of equals. The NFL absorbed the AFL. Kept the NFL headquarters, name, and logo. And moved 3 teams into the AFC to balance out their superiority.I just caught up with Moorehead's posts a few pages back, let me remove the hook from my mouth and move on...
    Would you not want to have your HQ in the biggest city in the US and media center of the US?

Doesn't matter what the NFL was to the AFL. The NFL considers the AFL legit. Else the titans wouldn't have banners to the AFL.

And yet most of the expansion teams are in the NFC.

Yes cause 3 teams means the NFL was SOOOOO far ahead. And you still haven't acknowledge the fact that the browns came from the AAFC and dominated the NFL( proving that the NFL wasn't so dominate.

And if you think the niners winning 30 yr later means something( like that playing in the NFL league somehow made them better after coming from the AAFC) then that's sad. The packers were bad for 15 yr and they played in the great NFL league. So were the steelers. The NFL was not high and above everyone else. The niners, colors, and people still descended from the AAFC. So your wrong. There weren't just 6 SB. The steelers people didn't change cause they went to the AFC central to the AFC north.

And while the AAFC was not as stable as the NFL or AFL( you need to have been a stable, American, major league to compete which is why the USFL, UFL, and CFL dont qualify) the AAFC proved that talent isn't just in the NFL.

No kid. The AFL helped make this league therefore the AFL is equal to the NFL in the sense of the SB.

"......merger discussions to unify the older NFL teams and the AFL......."

Doesn't sound like an absorption to me.

The merger paved the way for the combined league, which retained the "National Football League" name and logo, to become one of the most popular sports leagues in the United States. Source Wikipedia.

Obviously it was a diff league. Look up any story of the merger. You'll never hear about one league absorbing into another.

The NFL took players from the AFL DUMBASS! The giants were actually the first to do it. A superior league doesn't ASK for other leagues players. If its a lesser league the players come to them. You don't need to be from the NFL to have the NFL praise you. Ever heard of Walter Camp?
    Last edited by GentleGiant; 04-26-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    So one Super Bowl win in 20 is proof of the "AFL killing the NFL". Gotcha. You're right, the USFL wasn't as big as the AFL. It was bigger. The AFL had 8 teams when it merged. The USFL had 18 teams.No they didn't, players in the USFL were drafted in college with the intention of being stars in a competing league -- exactly like what happened with the AFL-NFL rivalry in the 1960s. Players only moved to the NFL when the league folded after the 1985 season. Many great players like Jim Kelley, Reggie White, Steve Young, etc, which clearly invalidates the 1983-1985 Super Bowls as "sub-championships" because the USFL had great players.Apparently you don't understand the difference between minor and major leagues, among other things. You could call the World League of American Football minor leagues because it was run by the NFL. You could call Arena Football League minor leagues because the NFL has a stake in it. But not the CFL, not the USFL, not the UFL.
    No 1 SB is proof that despite what you said the NFL wasn't far beyond the AFL.
    Not to mention the franchises from the AFL have been consistent( titans/oilers, jets etc).

Veteran
    My head is spinning from all your knowledge.But may I say that you aren't especially Gentle. I'm guessing your not a Giant either.
    No matter what you say, you can't tell me why the current NFL acknowledges the AFL. The titans have AFL banners. The browns have AAFC banners. Obviously they were legit( even if the AAFC was unstable and couldn't live long).

The niners that won the 5 SB are still the same as the AAFC niners. They didn't just improve cause they were in the NFL. Who cares if it was 30 yr? The packers had a lot of bad old years and they played in the great NFL. So your wrong. It wasn't just 6 SB.

No kid. The AFL helped make this league so the old NFL is equal to the AFL in the sense of championships.

The merger paved the way for the combined league, which retained the "National Football League" name and logo, to become one of the most popular sports leagues in the United States.

Source Wikipedia. Obviously it was a diff league. Look up any story of the merge. It never talks about one league absorbing into another.
    Last edited by GentleGiant; 04-26-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Redskins fans a creeping up there for me. Their team's won one playoff game since the internet started and are tripping over each other to post 'HTTR' related posts wherever the can. As obnoxious as Redskins fans have been since they rediscovered their bravado halfway through last season the crown for worst fans in foot remains where it's been for years and years and years. With Eagles fans. They're the worst by a mile.

+ Reply to Thread