+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
    Im saying that because the NFL now is only similar to the old in name. To give a more accurate name for the NFL would the NFL plus AFL. The league then was just the NFL. So yes I do feel the NFL then is lesser than now cause the NFL then was one league. The NFL now is multiple leagues( NFL, AFL , and a few from the AAFC). If we're talking about one league then yes they were championships. But we're not, we're comparing them to a Championships that's made up of more than one league.
    So since the AFL and NFL merged in 1966 (1970 they integrated schedules), the Eagles championship doesnt count, right?

Thomas Richard Coughlin is a saint!

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    So since the AFL and NFL merged in 1966 (1970 they integrated schedules), the Eagles championship doesnt count, right?
    They merged in 1970. NOT 1966. They just decided to play a game with each league's champions, which turned into the SB.
    The "merger" happened when the AFL and NFL became the "NFL" with Cleveland, Baltimore and Pittsburgh moving to the new "AFC".
    Get well soon 80.

And here I thought this thread was about the worst fans in the league?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Well that's not really true. Its not like the AFL just showed up with all their great players in 1960. All the best players were in the NFL before 1960. Slowly, the AFL either syphoned players from the NFL and drafted would-be NFL players. It really didn't start until Joe Namath in 1965 though.really the NFL suffered talent-wise as a product for several years starting around 1964. But it was restored with the merger. But the NFL for most of its existance (pre SB and post SB) had all the greatest players. Only those few years was it compromised.You make it sound like half the talent didn't exist before 1960 and it magically appeared in 1960 in the form of the AFL.Yeah there wa the AAC with the Browns and Niners, but that was a sub standard league. THE league was the NFL. THE football championship was the NFL chamionship.It was NEVER a "sub championship".
    Apparently the league disagrees with you that they had all the talent seeing as they merged.Why merge with the AFL then? Why is the current league now equally organized between the AFL(AFC) and NFL(NFC). If the NFL needed teams then it could create expansion teams. What kind of THE league needs help from another? And saying the NFL was greater cause of talent is kind of lazy. You can't actually prove that. Like you said, the jets in SB 3 were supposed to be the talentless team. Not to mention the AFL owned the 70s. Like I said Paul Brown is considered one of the greatest ( with SI having him 2nd to Lombardi) but Paul Brown only had 3 NFL championships. So why does he get the praise? Cause he had 4 AAFC championships. Not to mention Otto Graham spend most of his career in the AFL.

We'd never know how good the AFL teams were compared to the NFL cause they never played. No matter good the NFLs was. The NFLs player were good against OTHER NFL players.

And Paul Brown and Graham played before the SB era,
    Last edited by GentleGiant; 04-23-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    When compared to SBs? Yes.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by keyofgmen View Post
    And here I thought this thread was about the worst fans in the league?
    Blame SZJ.

Apparently the league disagrees with you that they had all the talent seeing as they merged.Why merge with the AFL then? Why is the current league now equally organized between the AFL(AFC) and NFL(NFC). If the NFL needed teams then it could create expansion teams. What kind of THE league needs help from another? And saying the NFL was greater cause of talent is kind of lazy. You can't actually prove that. Like you said, the jets in SB 3 were supposed to be the talentless team. Not to mention the AFL owned the 70s. Like I said Paul Brown is considered one of the greatest ( with SI having him 2nd to Lombardi) but Paul Brown only had 3 NFL championships. So why does he get the praise? Cause he had 4 AAFC championships. Not to mention Otto Graham spend most of his career in the AFL.

We'd never know how good the AFL teams were compared to the NFL cause they never played. No matter good the NFLs was. The NFLs player were good against OTHER NFL players.

And Paul Brown and Graham before the SB era,
    Here's the reason:

$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Get well soon 80.

Veteran
    Here's the reason:$$$$$$$$$$$$
    That shouldnt put them ahead of the AFL. I'm sure the AFL had similar reasons.
    Last edited by GentleGiant; 04-23-2013 at 05:28 PM.

That shouldnt put them ahead of the AFL. I'm sure the AFL had similar reasons.
    They merged because it was in the interests of all teams, NFL and AFL.
    They were in a position to maximize profits with the merger.
    Its as simple as that.
    Get well soon 80.

Veteran
    They merged because it was in the interests of all teams, NFL and AFL.They were in a position to maximize profits with the merger.Its as simple as that.
    I don't see how that belittles the AFL. Like you said. The AFL and NFL combined to create the NFL we know now. It's not the same NFL so that's why I feel the SBs shouldn't be combined with old championships cause the SBs involve more and more is at stake. Your not just playing for one league. Your playing for all the relevant leagues.