+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Who are the worst fans in the NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by zimonami View Post
    Neither did the AFL teams compare for their first 7 years, but you discount that. You CANNOT discount the USFL simply because they didn't merge. They had doazens of legitimate NFL quality players. Merging or not merging is often a function of the money involved and the strength of fan following to confirm legitimacy.
    Exactly, lots of top quality players came from the USFL -- among them Steve Young, Jim Kelley, and Reggie White.

Therefore the 83 Redskins, 84 49ers, and 85 Bears Super Bowls are now reduced to "sub-championships" because they didn't play the USFL champion in the Ultra Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalGiant View Post
    The steelers beat the supposedly better NFL 4 times( despite you saying theyre bad).
    The Steelers were an NFL team that got moved to the AFC in 1970. So one NFL team beat another NFL team.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalGiant View Post
    The niners have 5 but they were AAFC first. I guess all five of those were flukes too?
    The 49ers' first championship in 1981 is 32 years removed from their last year in the AAFC. The Steelers' first championship is 4 years removed from being an NFL/NFC team. Catching the drift yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    Just admit that you're NFC bias. Tell me that Im wrong for saying the old championships don't compare but then tell me which AFL SBs were legit based off your own stupid biased opinion? Pathetic.
    They're all legit. I'm just saying 5 of them were won by former NFL teams immediately after the merger, and only 6 SBs were won by legitimate AFL teams in the first 20 years.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    The Steelers were an NFL team that got moved to the AFC in 1970. So one NFL team beat another NFL team.The 49ers' first championship in 1981 is 32 years removed from their last year in the AAFC. The Steelers' first championship is 4 years removed from being an NFL/NFC team. Catching the drift yet?They're all legit. I'm just saying 5 of them were won by former NFL teams immediately after the merger, and only 6 SBs were won by legitimate AFL teams in the first 20 years.
    1 AFL team is all I need. The USFL wasn't as big as the AFL. Players played in the USFL with the intention of eventually going to the NFL. Not the case with the AFL, to AFL players, the AFL WAS the top.

The USFL was a minor league. The AFL and NFL were major leagues. Catching the drift yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    What about my question regarding the NHL?
    And the NBA-ABA merger?

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
    Hey dumbass. Way to show me you can't read. I don't recall the USFL ever merging with other relevant leagues?
    And until 1970 the NFL didn't merge with other relevant leagues either. Yet those championships are "sub-championships".

1 AFL team is all I need.
    So one Super Bowl win in 20 is proof of the "AFL killing the NFL". Gotcha.

The USFL wasn't as big as the AFL.
    You're right, the USFL wasn't as big as the AFL. It was bigger. The AFL had 8 teams when it merged. The USFL had 18 teams.

Players played in the USFL with the intention of eventually going to the NFL. Not the case with the AFL, to AFL players, the AFL WAS the top.
    No they didn't, players in the USFL were drafted in college with the intention of being stars in a competing league -- exactly like what happened with the AFL-NFL rivalry in the 1960s. Players only moved to the NFL when the league folded after the 1985 season. Many great players like Jim Kelley, Reggie White, Steve Young, etc, which clearly invalidates the 1983-1985 Super Bowls as "sub-championships" because the USFL had great players.

The USFL was a minor league. The AFL and NFL were major leagues. Catching the drift yet?
    Apparently you don't understand the difference between minor and major leagues, among other things. You could call the World League of American Football minor leagues because it was run by the NFL. You could call Arena Football League minor leagues because the NFL has a stake in it. But not the CFL, not the USFL, not the UFL.
    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 04-24-2013 at 06:49 AM.

Veteran
    And the NBA-ABA merger?And until 1970 the NFL didn't merge with other relevant leagues either. Yet those championships are "sub-championships".
    Yeah. That's my point. We're comparing an NFL that wasn't merged to one that is. You don't have to merge but the current NFL already raised the standard by basically saying that merging with other leagues is the only way to be bigger than them.

Wrong again. Every champion in every league matters if its to that league alone. But when compared to others( like old ones to SBs) then the clearly greater league means more. The NFL was not greater than the AFL just cause you think it had better talent.
    The NFL had more history (1920 vs 1960). The NFL had more teams (16 vs 10). The NFL made more money. Pretty clear that this was not a merger of equals. The NFL absorbed the AFL. Kept the NFL headquarters, name, and logo. And moved 3 teams into the AFC to balance out their superiority.

I just caught up with Moorehead's posts a few pages back, let me remove the hook from my mouth and move on...
    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 04-24-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Veteran
    So one Super Bowl win in 20 is proof of the "AFL killing the NFL". Gotcha. You're right, the USFL wasn't as big as the AFL. It was bigger. The AFL had 8 teams when it merged. The USFL had 18 teams.No they didn't, players in the USFL were drafted in college with the intention of being stars in a competing league -- exactly like what happened with the AFL-NFL rivalry in the 1960s. Players only moved to the NFL when the league folded after the 1985 season. Many great players like Jim Kelley, Reggie White, Steve Young, etc, which clearly invalidates the 1983-1985 Super Bowls as "sub-championships" because the USFL had great players.Apparently you don't understand the difference between minor and major leagues, among other things. You could call the World League of American Football minor leagues because it was run by the NFL. You could call Arena Football League minor leagues because the NFL has a stake in it. But not the CFL, not the USFL, not the UFL.
    Yeah sure kid. Who ever said that the most teams means bigger? How about a league that's actually stable, doesn't have financial problems as soon as it starts, then collapses after 4 years. Yeah those players CLEARLY wanted to stay there. The CFL and WFL aren't even American leagues. AAh the superior NFL. The superior NFL that needed the AFL. The superior NFL that despite your ignorance, is not undefeated against the AFL. The superior NFL despite the fact that the NFC has the most expansion teams.Clearly your too ignorant to see this. Who cares about history? The cardinals are the oldest franchise. That doesn't make them relevant. Screw the talent. It's all about the money? You literally just argued against the others points. You don't get it. You don't to merge but if you want to be bigger than the current NFL you do? The NFL then was the biggest but the now NFL( different NFL)raised the standard.
    Last edited by GentleGiant; 04-24-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Veteran
    So one Super Bowl win in 20 is proof of the "AFL killing the NFL". Gotcha. You're right, the USFL wasn't as big as the AFL. It was bigger. The AFL had 8 teams when it merged. The USFL had 18 teams.No they didn't, players in the USFL were drafted in college with the intention of being stars in a competing league -- exactly like what happened with the AFL-NFL rivalry in the 1960s. Players only moved to the NFL when the league folded after the 1985 season. Many great players like Jim Kelley, Reggie White, Steve Young, etc, which clearly invalidates the 1983-1985 Super Bowls as "sub-championships" because the USFL had great players.Apparently you don't understand the difference between minor and major leagues, among other things. You could call the World League of American Football minor leagues because it was run by the NFL. You could call Arena Football League minor leagues because the NFL has a stake in it. But not the CFL, not the USFL, not the UFL.
    Yet you said I should count the minor leagues. Can you please next time actually offer stable leagues that ARE AMERICAN?

The ABA and NBA don't play each other for the championship. The AFL and NFL do.
    Last edited by GentleGiant; 04-24-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Veteran
    Wow. So everyone that questions your guys opinions are trolls?

+ Reply to Thread