+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The NFL is Dyiing a slow death

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...cflstyle-field

Competition committee was looking into widening the field in the name of player safety, Which is BS. The NFL wont be happy until Defense is completely phased out of the game. I dont know about u guys but if they widen the field I am done, The game will be screen pass after screen pass to 5'9" 174 pound WR's running around in space . There will be No more size on the Dline, the game wont be recognized by us today
    This will never happen gentlemen. One thing is for sure the NFL isn't stupid, they're not turning into CFL II and expect the same results and success. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBookOfEli View Post
    Add in the fact that more and more people don't want their kids playing football, it's understandable why the NFL is getting soft. I mean even Obama said that if he had a son he wouldn't want him playing football.

I wouldn't be surprised if 20-30 yrs down the road, the MLS would be more popular than the NFL.
    bingo,,if the NFL indeed is dying a slow death it from the outside in, just like you said,,,parents will just funnel their kids into safer sports,,like baseball or basketball which is great because of the guaranteed contracts.

The NFL is not dying a slow death and the field will not be widened. Ridiculous.

Veteran
    Collisions are the big problem and they are the result of wearing too much protective gear. Why do rugby players suffer less head trauma than NFL players? No helmets. They don't run into each other, they wrap up tackle. The NHL has a similar problem in regards to head trauma from collision checks out in the open or along the boards.

if they take away kicks or sacks on the QB i'll find something else to watch.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails."
    - William Arthur Ward -

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...cflstyle-field Competition committee was looking into widening the field in the name of player safety, Which is BS. The NFL wont be happy until Defense is completely phased out of the game. I dont know about u guys but if they widen the field I am done, The game will be screen pass after screen pass to 5'9" 174 pound WR's running around in space . There will be No more size on the Dline, the game wont be recognized by us today
    It going to be friggin BASKETBALL!!!!!!

For all you guys saying it will never happen, think again. These game changing rule moves will continue to creep along until we no longer recognize the game we love. They will have a major impact on the game.

Consider the rule moving kickoffs from the 30 to the 35. Touchbacks skyrocketed from 416 in 2010 to 1120 in 2011.

The constant threat of lawsuits and pressure from the political class will insure continued rule modification and the game we know today will be changed forever.

Quote Originally Posted by juice33s View Post
    It will never happen. Its like people talking about raising the rim in basketball. You don't mess with success, these guys are paid millions, if a few get seriously injured then thats the risk they take and the reason its the money they make.

Sheesh, people act like we're throwing these guys in the gladiator ring and feeding them to the lions, when in fact its a game that 6 year olds play
    The players get paid millions in return for bringing in billions. It's fair remuneration, they should never be criticised for what they earn. Their allowance is miniscule compared to what their employers pull in because of them.

A few getting seriously injured? Good luck finding an ex-NFL player with no permanent injuries. The game shortens lives.

"NFL". Trademark. That isn't a sport - it's a brand. What you watch every Sunday isn't sport - it's entertainment. The league wants to keep serving this up but if it continues down its current path, it won't be able to for much longer.
    You can preach the "In my day" crap all you want, but the reality is, people will stop playing if former stars continue to kill themselves. Couple that with the inevitable lawsuits which will be filed against the league and it will eventually reach breaking point.

Ultimately, this isn't about the players' safety at all, it's about the league's. It has to protect its players to protect itself.

Quote Originally Posted by BeatYale View Post
    Collisions are the big problem and they are the result of wearing too much protective gear. Why do rugby players suffer less head trauma than NFL players? No helmets. They don't run into each other, they wrap up tackle. The NHL has a similar problem in regards to head trauma from collision checks out in the open or along the boards.
    Someone brought up a similar point how kids today u dont see them outside playing tackle football with no pads. When I was a kid thats what we did after school. No 1 ever got that hurt maybe some bruises a,broken arm., no head or neck injuries. You learned how to tackle properly , u wouldnt just launch yourself at someone. Kids today dont play outside first introduction to the game is wearing a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    ... A few getting seriously injured? Good luck finding an ex-NFL player with no permanent injuries. The game shortens lives.

"NFL". Trademark. That isn't a sport - it's a brand. What you watch every Sunday isn't sport - it's entertainment...
    You can preach the "In my day" crap all you want, but the reality is, people will stop playing if former stars continue to kill themselves. Couple that with the inevitable lawsuits which will be filed against the league and it will eventually reach breaking point.

Ultimately, this isn't about the players' safety at all, it's about the league's. It has to protect its players to protect itself.
    Oh my, a truly EXCELLENT post !!! You are dead on about the "Brand" thing. Sadly.

Someone brought up a similar point how kids today u dont see them outside playing tackle football with no pads. When I was a kid thats what we did after school. No 1 ever got that hurt maybe some bruises a,broken arm., no head or neck injuries. You learned how to tackle properly , u wouldnt just launch yourself at someone. Kids today dont play outside first introduction to the game is wearing a helmet.
    dead on! Learn, re-learn, practice proper tackling. Outside that learn to invest what you have while you have it. Stop blowing that **** on fancy cars and big *** houses you can't afford to maintain if you squander your money.

Listen, most pro sports have an inherant abusive quality to them, basketbal players often end up with shoddy knees and backs, we know the myriad health problems of football, hockey is damn near the same and even baseball players don't transition through life any easier. (elbows, shoulders, knees...)

Even in Motocross/Supercross the riders endure tons of ACL/MCL, ankle, spine, back injuries and many times surgery.

But as Flip said, all of these ceased being "Sports" when they became professional. They all became "Brands" and Corporate money-making.

and that's the sad truth. We have our Beer, we have our Bread and we have our Games.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

+ Reply to Thread