+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: If Cold Weather Playoff Games Are Not An Issue With Opponents To The NY Open Air SB..

  1. #1

    If Cold Weather Playoff Games Are Not An Issue With Opponents To The NY Open Air SB..

    Then whats wrong with a cold weather Super Bowl?
    Where is it written that the Super Bowl was meant to be played in pristine conditions?
    If teams have to deal with fair or unfair advantages in inclement playoff weather to GET to the SB, how is it anymore unfair for one side or another to play in inclement SUPER BOWL weather?
    I love it that the SB will be at MetLife...and I hope it's cold as a ***** and snowing like hell too!
    And besides watching REAL football...... any bad weather that shortens or cancels the halftime show can ONLY be a plus!

  2. #2
    Veteran Ntegrase96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,502
    Because there isn't supposed to be any advantage either way. If a cold weather team makes it to the superbowl against a warm weather or dome team, one could argue there is an advantage for the former.

    The weather is not supposed to influence a championship game.

    Personally, I don't care to watch players slip and slide around in slush no more than I'd care to watch two teams drop like flies due to 100+ temperatures on the field. Make the field as neutral as possible and see which team has the better squad.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    Because there isn't supposed to be any advantage either way. If a cold weather team makes it to the superbowl against a warm weather or dome team, one could argue there is an advantage for the former.

    The weather is not supposed to influence a championship game.

    Personally, I don't care to watch players slip and slide around in slush no more than I'd care to watch two teams drop like flies due to 100+ temperatures on the field. Make the field as neutral as possible and see which team has the better squad.
    But playing in a dome will benefit dome teams over cold weather teams. It works both way. NFL teams are supposed to handle bad weather and adjust.

  4. #4
    Veteran TroyArcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    Because there isn't supposed to be any advantage either way. If a cold weather team makes it to the superbowl against a warm weather or dome team, one could argue there is an advantage for the former.

    The weather is not supposed to influence a championship game.

    Personally, I don't care to watch players slip and slide around in slush no more than I'd care to watch two teams drop like flies due to 100+ temperatures on the field. Make the field as neutral as possible and see which team has the better squad.
    So if a dome team plays a team who plays on natural grass outdoors wouldn't the dome team have an advantage?

  5. #5
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    Because there isn't supposed to be any advantage either way. If a cold weather team makes it to the superbowl against a warm weather or dome team, one could argue there is an advantage for the former.

    The weather is not supposed to influence a championship game.

    Personally, I don't care to watch players slip and slide around in slush no more than I'd care to watch two teams drop like flies due to 100+ temperatures on the field. Make the field as neutral as possible and see which team has the better squad.
    Well, unless you want all Super Bowls in domes, warm weather locales can still of torrential downpours during games. Hell, Dallas had an ice storm 2 years ago.

  6. #6
    Veteran Ntegrase96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,502
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyArcher View Post
    So if a dome team plays a team who plays on natural grass outdoors wouldn't the dome team have an advantage?
    The last time that scenario happened was in 2002, but it certainly didn't help the Rams beat the Pats. Since 2000 that scenario has only happened one other time and the reverse was true... the Rams beat the Titans. So since 2000, that's a draw.

    But you have a point (as does ElidaMANning). Dome teams MAY have something to gain over cold weather or outdoor teams.



    Quote Originally Posted by EliDaMANning View Post
    ...NFL teams are supposed to handle bad weather and adjust.
    To elaborate, the best teams overcome all conditions.

    Admittedly I was basing my thoughts off of age old thinking. You always hear pundits and fans alike claiming 'wow, we don't want to have to go into Lambeau or (x-cold weather team's stadium), but you don't hear the same for places like the Georgia Dome or (x-dome team's stadium)... except maybe New Orleans, but that's more of a crowd noise factor than anything.

    But then I took some time and a quick glance at playoff brackets from the last 5 or 6 years, and it's pretty consistent that match-ups between dome teams and cold weather or outdoor teams are pretty much a toss up. What's really consistent is that the better team during that span won the games.

    Which shouldn't really surprise me since I'm always trying to debunk the notion that Eli would be a better quarterback if he played in a dome-- it's simply not true. His performance is affected more by the team he is facing than the elements. The same could be said about all QBs.

    So would like to emphatically agree with your point that that NFL teams are supposed to handle bad weather and adjust, and the same could be said about adjusting to the better foot speed in a warmer dome.



    ...Still wouldn't care to watch teams slop it out on a slushy field for a championship.

  7. #7
    Veteran Ntegrase96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Well, unless you want all Super Bowls in domes, warm weather locales can still of torrential downpours during games. Hell, Dallas had an ice storm 2 years ago.
    For me it's just a personal preference.

    I personally would prefer every stadium hosting the superbowl to be like Reliant in Houston or UOP in Arizona. Retractable roof and actual grass.

    I cross my fingers and hope it doesn't rain every year the superbowl is outdoors. 2006 was hard to watch.

    Side note; Dallas having an ice storm isn't all that crazy. It's unlikely, but DFW probably has some of the most unpredictable weather in the nation. There was another ice storm in March that very same year. Usually in March we're already starting to burn and/or taking shelter in our bathrooms when tornado warnings get 'serious'-- hence cowboys stadium has a retractable roof.
    Last edited by Ntegrase96; 02-13-2013 at 07:19 PM.

  8. #8
    Veteran ebick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,288
    I think the primary reason against cold weather Super Bowls has less to do with the game and the teams and more to do with the Super Bowl weekend activities and the dignitaries who are coming to watch.

  9. #9
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    For me it's just a personal preference.

    I personally would prefer every stadium hosting the superbowl to be like Reliant in Houston or UOP in Arizona. Retractable roof and actual grass.

    I cross my fingers and hope it doesn't rain every year the superbowl is outdoors. 2006 was hard to watch.

    Side note; Dallas having an ice storm isn't all that crazy. It's unlikely, but DFW probably has some of the most unpredictable weather in the nation. There was another ice storm in March that very same year. Usually in March we're already starting to burn and/or taking shelter in our bathrooms when tornado warnings get 'serious'-- hence cowboys stadium has a retractable roof.
    Yeah, but all outdoor games have a good chance of having weather play a role in the game. Sure, the cold adds an extra element of difficulty (hard footballs that are harder to throw, catch, and kick), but it isn't like having a game in a warm weather locale is immune from potential weather hazards.

  10. #10
    Veteran Jet-Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Aberdeen, NJ
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by ebick View Post
    I think the primary reason against cold weather Super Bowls has less to do with the game and the teams and more to do with the Super Bowl weekend activities and the dignitaries who are coming to watch.
    I think that is the number one reason!. It's not the "Game", it's everything else that goes with it.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts