+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If Cold Weather Playoff Games Are Not An Issue With Opponents To The NY Open Air SB..

Quote Originally Posted by ebick View Post
    I think the primary reason against cold weather Super Bowls has less to do with the game and the teams and more to do with the Super Bowl weekend activities and the dignitaries who are coming to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Blue View Post
    I think that is the number one reason!. It's not the "Game", it's everything else that goes with it.
    Couldnt agree more with both of you. The NFL is a big business now and with all of the media hype etc., the NFL wanted to make it as comfortable and "ideal" for all of the big boys, media and halftime shows.

Football is meant to be played in the elements, domes are not for the benefit of the players or coaches.
    “Winning is a habit. Unfortunately so is losing.”
    -Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by ebick View Post
    I think the primary reason against cold weather Super Bowls has less to do with the game and the teams and more to do with the Super Bowl weekend activities and the dignitaries who are coming to watch.
    God forbid you'd have to wear this in 30 degree weather:

Quote Originally Posted by tonyt830 View Post
    Couldnt agree more with both of you. The NFL is a big business now and with all of the media hype etc., the NFL wanted to make it as comfortable and "ideal" for all of the big boys, media and halftime shows.

Football is meant to be played in the elements, domes are not for the benefit of the players or coaches.

See I've always thought of it as football is designed to endure the elements, rather than meant to play in them. Domes were probably not built for the benefit for players or coaches, but they certainly benefit players.
    Last edited by Ntegrase96; 02-14-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Yeah, but all outdoor games have a good chance of having weather play a role in the game. Sure, the cold adds an extra element of difficulty (hard footballs that are harder to throw, catch, and kick), but it isn't like having a game in a warm weather locale is immune from potential weather hazards.
    Oh absolutely. Every outdoor stadium is subject to undesirable weather. That's why I prefer places like Reliant with a retractable roof. You have the option of closing the roof if it looks like inclement weather, but you also still have a grass field. Same with the Cardinals stadium in the desert.

Don't get me wrong. I only prefer this for the Superbowl. All other games, anything goes.

In 07, Favre and the Packers were supposed to have an advantage over Eli and the Giants in the NFCCG by being more used to the brutally cold weather of Lambeau Field, yet it was Favre who looked like he was dying in the cold, while Eli wasn't affected by it at all!
    None of these "issues" are even real anyway, they're manufactured by the media.
    I haven't heard one Coach or player express concern over an open air SB.

All the NFL is doing is analyzing if the cold weather would effect the amount of money the NFL would make in the week leading up to the Superbowl. That is all they care about.
    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

I hope they play in the snow or nasty cold like football is meant to be played. Something different for a change. The only ones that may suffer are the fans that layed out $1000 plus to sit in the cold.

coughlin.jpg

I want to see a return to cold weather championships. I also want to see every venue in the NFL get a moment in the spotlight. Bring the SB to Lambeau, Soldier Field, Gillette, etc.

As for the so-called advantage (or disadvantage to a dome/warm weather team) -- they potentially play every road game, up to 11 games, at the mercy of someone else's weather/environment. Why make the exception for a championship?

Quote Originally Posted by EliDaMANning View Post
    But playing in a dome will benefit dome teams over cold weather teams. It works both way. NFL teams are supposed to handle bad weather and adjust.
    Yup, what if your team is based on power and built in the trenches, then you have to play on carpet against a speedy dome team? Sounds like an advantage for them...

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue58 View Post
    In 07, Favre and the Packers were supposed to have an advantage over Eli and the Giants in the NFCCG by being more used to the brutally cold weather of Lambeau Field, yet it was Favre who looked like he was dying in the cold, while Eli wasn't affected by it at all!
    None of these "issues" are even real anyway, they're manufactured by the media.
    I haven't heard one Coach or player express concern over an open air SB.
    Did you miss when Flacco called it ******ed?

+ Reply to Thread