+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compensatory Picks for 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by cornerback30 View Post
    I thought you get compensation the same year,say for instance if we were to lose Phillips and Beatty,dont we receive compensation in this year's draft
    No, it's calculated for the following year's draft. We got an extra 4th in 2012 draft because prior to 2011 season we lost SS12, Boss Cofield, Michael Johnson, and Jerris Wilkinson to other teams (though SS12 Boss and Cofield were the only ones that played in any real capacity for any part of the season)

Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    Edited to include Sean Locklear

Slip, but just looking at the deals and how it played out this year, it doesn't look like we were any worse off. Which to my understanding is the idea. In other words, how do you justify us getting two 6th round comp picks?
    Contracts factor in more than playing time.

Yeah ur right I just read about it,so what are we looking at this year
    According to Slip, a 6th or a 7th or two.

That Manningham contract was huge, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something slightly better.

I don't personally think it matters all that much since Reese has been equally successful in the 4th and 7th rounds in finding talent that contributes.

So based off of all the info above do we get one or not??? LOL...

Can anyone way in on this matter with some type of link to prove how it works and what we actually have coming? or not coming because of whatever reason?
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

I thought you get compensation the same year,say for instance if we were to lose Phillips and Beatty,dont we receive compensation in this year's draft
    Nope, because impact for a team is considered so if we lose kenny we will receive more consideration if he plays 16 games with his new team. Less consideration if he ends up on IR before this coming season starts.
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post

Can anyone way in on this matter with some type of link to prove how it works and what we actually have coming? or not coming because of whatever reason?
    Well, Slip is right. Just going on value it would seem like we get one. AFAIK there is no way for us to determine exactly how they figure these picks out. So we won't know until they let us know.
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post

Well the other thing to remember is that there's a certain number of compensatory picks that MUST be dealt out, and once that limit is reached, there will be no more. If that number is not reached, then it will continue as if it were starting the 8th round of the draft.

All-in-all, I don't think even the experts are able to predict with certainty what the NFL will do with compensatories. There's no formula, but just guessing.

thanks for clearing that up for me guys!!!
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Hey guys, I was checking out the mock draft section and one poster mentioned a comp pick for the loss of A.Ross. That got me thinking about this subject because my knee-jerk reaction was that we probably wouldn't receive any this year due to a couple factors...

Here's how it looks

Lost:
    Aaron Ross - signed 3 year / 15 mil contract; but only started 9 games
    Mario Manningham - signed 2 year / 10 mil contract; started 10 games
    Jon Goff - signed 1 year minimum deal; IR before season started

Gained:
    Martellus Bennett - signed 1 year / 1.8 mil contract; started 16 games
    Stevie Brown - claimed off waivers / minimum deal; started 11 games
    Sean Locklear - signed 1 year / vet minimum deal; started 10 games credit to shane4177

So, is it within reason that we receive a comp pick? Maybe. If we do I don't expect it being higher than a 6th, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get one at all. If anyone can think of a free agent that we picked up other than Brown and Bennett let me know.

By the way, the NFL determines comp picks based on an inequity of free agents lost vs. gained, but contract value and playing time are heavily considered in the decision. Some kind of elaborate equation is used.
    I believe we will be credited with losing; Ross, Manningham, Tollefson
    and credited with signing; Bennett and Lochlear

This means they will get 1 comp pick and the difference in the contract values will determine which round that pick will be. I believe it will be a 6th round pick with an outside shot at a 5th.

+ Reply to Thread