+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Giants' Franchise Tag: Will Beatty? Martellus Bennett? Kenny Phillips?

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    That's not true either. They could negotiate a longterm deal (which is exactly what we did with BJ). But we would have to pay the amount unless another deal was negotiated.
    Placing a franchise tag on a player for FA protection vs. the player actually signing the franchise tender contract are two different things. I can't find anywhere that states Brandon Jacobs signed his franchise tender contract. I did find an article that states he wouldn't sign his franchise tender and wanted to wait for the long term deal that he got.
    http://www.aolnews.com/2009/02/13/gi...randon-jacobs/

Drew Brees never signed his franchise tender contract last season either before getting his mega deal.

Steve Weatherford never signed his franchise tender contract last season either before getting his long term deal.

http://www.kffl.com/player/14015/NFL/steve-weatherford

Btw, all three players mentioned got more guaranteed signing bonus money in their long term deals than the 1-year franchise tender.
    Guaranteed signing bonuses are guaranteed after signature and almost impossible to change. It has to be something stupid like Michael Vick getting arrested for dog fighting and the Falcons had to go to court to get most of the signing bonus money back.

BEATTY

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

I really like James Brewer,, quick feet and Mosley shows alot of Promise. Right now, though Beatty is our best lineman followed by Snee,but he can be replaced. Bennett on the other hand can block, catch and is a pro and proven, who do we have to replace him? Robinson, Pascoe? I believe Bennett should be signed along with Stevie Brown and Vic Cruz, positive nucleus of the Giants.

Veteran
    You're valuing a TE over a lock down LT? I understand MB was pretty good (not great at times) at block and in the receiving game but good LTs don't grow on trees

Jake Long is FA, Fluker should be available when we draft. Beatty collarred around alot, a hook around the collar hold that he got away with quite often lol Lock down? no...Very good yes. .

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    Beatty is the only possiblity for the franchise tag IMHO.

I actually think that we would be the laughing stock of the NFL if we tagged Bennett.
    It depends the number wouldnt be that high last year was only like 5 million. Giants cant tag Beatty they dont have the cap room to pay the 1 year guaranteed money

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    If we had a stronger line I might lean towards Bennett, but as it is, it would have to be Beatty
    the line could be much improved by start of next season.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post
    Jake Long is FA, Fluker should be available when we draft. Beatty collarred around alot, a hook around the collar hold that he got away with quite often lol Lock down? no...Very good yes. .
    Only gave up 3 sacks despite going up against some of the leagues best pass rusher, that's good enough for lock down status

A lot of teams in the NFL use the franchise tag as a stop gap contract to keep their best players. The good teams in the league use it as a way to actually negotiate with a player that they want to keep long term. Franchising anyone this year will come down to who they believe they can and want to work a long term deal out with. If Giants brass sense there is absolutely no ability to resign any of these guys long term, then I doubt we will see them slap a franchise tag on them. Makes sense from a managerial stand point - if the guy is just going to be gone in another year, why wait to find his replacement?

I'm not sure if the franchise tag really benefits the player or team in negotiations. For the player they can obviously come back to negotiations and say, "You're fine with paying me like a top five player at my position for one year, why not throughout the duration of my contract?" But no player actually wants to go into the season on a one year contract. I can see it motivating them and their agents even more so to try and hammer out a long term deal before training camp starts (weatherford last year).
    Last edited by greenca190; 02-16-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Has to be Beatty

+ Reply to Thread