+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Giants' Franchise Tag: Will Beatty? Martellus Bennett? Kenny Phillips?

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    Once you go franchise you never go back. That's huge money for 1 year of service. A - we can't afford it. B - we want him long term. We can't afford to pay anyone on a franchise tag. We are broke relative to the cap. Reese has to do his best to get Beatty at a decent cost for a longer term. It is either that or we start looking for a replacement for him. Money wise, we are out of options.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantRoc View Post
    Once you go franchise you never go back. That's huge money for 1 year of service. A - we can't afford it. B - we want him long term. We can't afford to pay anyone on a franchise tag. We are broke relative to the cap. Reese has to do his best to get Beatty at a decent cost for a longer term. It is either that or we start looking for a replacement for him. Money wise, we are out of options.
    That's not true. Just because we tag him doesn't mean we can't work out a long term deal with him in the process. It's gonna be used to stop him from signing with another team. In fact, that's what we did with Steve Weatherford last year.

Veteran
    Beatty makes the most sense out of those options

Please don't utilize the franchise tag on Phillips...use it on in damaged goods like Beatty or Bennett but I think we can get Bennett back on a long term deal paying less than $2.5 mil in 2013 whereas the TE franchise amount is well over $5 mil. Focus on Beatty for now with the tag or long term deal the get Cruz locked up...not sure i want to lose him for a rookie (rfa compensation) even if it is a 1st rounder.

Otherwise don't use it...no one else on the team that is leaving for FA that is worth tagging.

it's hard enough to find a unicorn, let alone tag it..

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    Quote Originally Posted by drewz View Post
    That's not true. Just because we tag him doesn't mean we can't work out a long term deal with him in the process. It's gonna be used to stop him from signing with another team. In fact, that's what we did with Steve Weatherford last year.
    What I mean is, if you use that tag he's locked into BIG money. Something we could not carry into a long term contract. If you want Beatty around for a while,then we can not afford to tag him. As far as Weatherford goes, there is a big difference between top 5 punter money and top 5 Left Tackle money. You can't make a direct comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantRoc View Post
    What I mean is, if you use that tag he's locked into BIG money. Something we could not carry into a long term contract. If you want Beatty around for a while,then we can not afford to tag him. As far as Weatherford goes, there is a big difference between top 5 punter money and top 5 Left Tackle money. You can't make a direct comparison.
    None of the guys we want to re-sign are top 5 talent in the league. The franchise tag means that you pay top 5 money for the guy,whether he's worth it or not. Beatty for instance is a good tackle; but I've recently seen him rated as the #15 tackle in the league, so there's no way you franchise him and pay him top 5 money. And franchising only guarantees you one year, all you've done is made your current cap problem worse, and you'll probably lose the guy in a year anyhow. Remember, once you franchise the guy , when you sit down to negotiate for the following year you're either going to a) re-sign him for the franchise amount, which is more than he's worth, or b) tell him you want a substantial pay cut from his franchise salary. Option b is probably just going to piss the guy off, so he'll probably bolt from you anyway.

Franchising is meant for the Eli, JPP or Nicks type of player, not these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post
    I really like James Brewer,, quick feet and Mosley shows alot of Promise. Right now, though Beatty is our best lineman followed by Snee,but he can be replaced. Bennett on the other hand can block, catch and is a pro and proven, who do we have to replace him? Robinson, Pascoe? I believe Bennett should be signed along with Stevie Brown and Vic Cruz, positive nucleus of the Giants.
    If the Giants go into the season with Brewer and Mosley as their starting tackles Eli should retire or demand to be traded.
    Last edited by ozzie0075; 02-17-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    If the Giants go into the season with Brewer and Mosley as their starting tackles Eli should retire or demand to be traded.
    He'll be running for his life.. very bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post
    I really like James Brewer,, quick feet and Mosley shows alot of Promise. Right now, though Beatty is our best lineman followed by Snee,but he can be replaced. Bennett on the other hand can block, catch and is a pro and proven, who do we have to replace him? Robinson, Pascoe? I believe Bennett should be signed along with Stevie Brown and Vic Cruz, positive nucleus of the Giants.
    Where exactly have you seen Brewer's quick feet on display? Or Mosley's promise?

+ Reply to Thread