+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants' Franchise Tag: Will Beatty? Martellus Bennett? Kenny Phillips?

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    dont forget, we could franchise either of the 3, and then work out a long term deal that negates the would be potential franchise cap hit...iirc its how we ensured we could keep jacobs through the FA period so that an actual long term deal could be reached, and the franchise cap hit # was ultimately never met
    True... the franchise tag can also be used to strategically extend negotiations on a longer term deal during free agency. Good Point.

I would imagine though that the team can't lowball the longer term contract too much because the player still has the choice to sign the franchise tag offer and take more money 100% upfront for 1 year. Beatty had been making less than $1 million per year on his previous contract. All of a sudden, you'd give him a chance to sign almost $10 million in guaranteed money for one year? That long term contract better have some $$ to outweigh that. I just don't think he's a top Tackle in the league to warrant a franchise tag in my opinion.
    Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 02-14-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Which is what I said...

I was replying to the post about using the tag to allow more time for contract negotiations. If other teams can't make contact with a player, negotiating is easier.
    No I know. I agree with you. I was just adding my 2 cents.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    No I know. I agree with you. I was just adding my 2 cents.
    I'm afraid the going rate is now 14 cents. Inflation and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    True... the franchise tag can also be used to strategically extend negotiations on a longer term deal during free agency. Good Point.

I would imagine though that the team can't lowball the longer term contract too much because the player still has the choice to sign the franchise tag offer and take more money 100% upfront for 1 year. Beatty had been making less than $1 million per year on his previous contract. All of a sudden, you'd give him a chance to sign almost $10 million in guaranteed money for one year? That long term contract better have some $$ to outweigh that.
    Terrible idea because once you put the franchise tag on a player he can sign it at any time and you are locked in to pay that player, that much this season. We tagged BJ because the salary for franchise tagged RB's that season was acceptable. None of the amounts of the 3 players mentioned is acceptable to us and would be cap busters.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    I'm afraid the going rate is now 14 cents. Inflation and all that.
    No...my opinions are still worth the discounted rate.

Terrible idea because once you put the franchise tag on a player he can sign it at any time and you are locked in to pay that player, that much this season. We tagged BJ because the salary for franchise tagged RB's that season was acceptable. None of the amounts of the 3 players mentioned is acceptable to us and would be cap busters.
    incorrect. he can sign the tag. that doesnt lock him into any cap hit if a long term deal is made. it'd be like tearing up the franchise tag contract and replacing it with the long term one. jacobs was franchised. the team worked out a long term deal, and the new deal became the cap hit. maybe im misremembering or oversimplifying im sure someone more qualified like slip or redeye or enigma can fill us in if i am wrong.

and even further, your slanted blanket statement doesnt really represent reality fairly. were ur description of said situation be true, itd also mean when the player signed the franchise tag he is forfeiting a chance at a long term contract until the next off season, in which he can tear a knee and be done with football. suddenly that 10 mil he was so quick to sign on is chump change to the money he'd make over the course of a lengthy beneficial contract

incorrect. he can sign the tag. that doesnt lock him into any cap hit if a long term deal is made. it'd be like tearing up the franchise tag contract and replacing it with the long term one.

and even further, your slanted blanket statement doesnt really represent reality fairly. were ur description of said situation be true, itd also mean when the player signed the franchise tag he is forfeiting a chance at a long term contract until the next off season, in which he can tear a knee and be done with football. suddenly that 10 mil he was so quick to sign on is chump change to the money he'd make over the course of a lengthy beneficial contract
    I didn't say anything you just claimed I said. When you place the franchise tag on a player he has the power to sign the one year deal and walk away from any further negotiations. The club loses all control of the situation. If we actually franchised Beatty we would have to pay him almost $10M, which is a cap busting amount. Obviously a player is still free to negotiate for a long term deal, but he can always walk away and we would have to pay him the franchise tag money.
    In other words, the team IS locked into paying that amount unless the player chooses to sign for a different deal. The PLAYER has all the power and the team would be at the mercy of the player and his agent.

incorrect. he can sign the tag. that doesnt lock him into any cap hit if a long term deal is made. it'd be like tearing up the franchise tag contract and replacing it with the long term one.

I don't think a football team can just tear up a signed franchise contract and get the money back. It's 100% guaranteed signing bonus. Once the player signs, the money is paid and the cap hit is final. There's no refund.

I didn't say anything you just claimed I said. When you place the franchise tag on a player he has the power to sign the one year deal and walk away from any further negotiations. The club loses all control of the situation. If we actually franchised Beatty we would have to pay him almost $10M, which is a cap busting amount. Obviously a player is still free to negotiate for a long term deal, but he can always walk away and we would have to pay him the franchise tag money.
    oh apologies then my bad. i misinterpreted a response u made to a guy suggesting franchising him to extend a period to negotiate without other teams being able to contact him as a terrible idea i guess...sorry again.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    I don't think a football team can just tear up a signed franchise contract and get the money back. It's 100% guaranteed signing bonus. Once the player signs, the money is paid and the cap hit is final. There's no refund.
    That's not true either. They could negotiate a longterm deal (which is exactly what we did with BJ). But we would have to pay the amount unless another deal was negotiated.

+ Reply to Thread