+ Reply to Thread

Giants Have Rich History Of Under The Radar Signings, Who WIll It Be In 2013

http://www.giants101.com/2013/02/24/...it-be-in-2013/

Excerpt: "The NFL Combine is underway and roster/cap trimming continues. With each big player name cut, the “fit” for the Giants is examined. We already know that we don’t know where General Manager Jerry Reese will go or what he’s thinking as far as the week of March 12.

Each year, there seems to be one guy that’s signed as a “ho hum” FA player, but works out to be just what the New York Football Giants needed for that corresponding season. In 2007, it was linebacker Kawika Mitchell. The way he teamed up with linebacker Antonio Pierce made the communication of that defense what it was in an all-world Super Bowl run. 2008 was more of a focus on retaining players post-championship win: Punter Jeff Feagles, offensive lineman Rich Seubert, guard Chris Snee and wide receiver Plaxico Burress. Head coach Tom Coughlin signed his first extension then also. 2009 brought linebacker Michael Boley in while 2010 retained the services of vocal safety Antrel Rolle. 2011, well, perhaps the most hype punter and fan favorite, Steve Weatherford. 2012 has hopefully brought in a free agent tight end in Martellus Bennett that will stay and end the Big Blue TE carousel that’s been going in circles since the starting days of Jeremy Shockey." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

They for sure do. Who will it be for 2013?
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

I know we have our own free agents to worry about(Beatty, Bennett, Boothe, Cruz, KP etc.), but one signing I am all for, is Dorsey at DT. If KC does not re-sign him, I think he would be a good fit in our 4-3 at the 3tech position. Now would that be an under the radar type signing, probably not.
    Perry Fewell is out there playing Tecmo Bowl defense with just 4 plays you can pick from on the remote control.
    --sharick88

Veteran
    Rolle got paid top 3 safety money. Apparently that is under the radar.

I think they have more of a history of signing free agents that don't really pan out or end up making more money than they are really worth. Baas, Boley, Rolle, Rivers, Rodgers, just to name a few of the more recent ones.

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    I think they have more of a history of signing free agents that don't really pan out or end up making more money than they are really worth. Baas, Boley, Rolle, Rivers, Rodgers, just to name a few of the more recent ones.
    I agree with this, but I think the OP is talking about the under the radar signings like Stevie Brown or Sean Locklear. Signings like that weren't blockbuster deals like Rolle but have helped us out a lot. I hope we find another diamond in the rough this offseason.

P.S, Boley was actually a really good signing for us. He was probably our best LB for all the years he was here and we got rid of him at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    I agree with this, but I think the OP is talking about the under the radar signings like Stevie Brown or Sean Locklear. Signings like that weren't blockbuster deals like Rolle but have helped us out a lot. I hope we find another diamond in the rough this offseason.

P.S, Boley was actually a really good signing for us. He was probably our best LB for all the years he was here and we got rid of him at the right time.
    I like Boley but 2011 was really the only productive year that he had here. And yes he was our best LB but that isn't saying much right now.