Closed Thread
Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 590

Thread: ESPN, Herm Edwards Diss Eli

  1. #101
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    44,808
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue58 View Post
    I'm getting more than a little tired of people implying that there is something wrong with those of us who defend Eli!
    I'm not drinking some kind of "Eli Manning is great" koolade, I simply rebutt any Eli criticism that I personally find to be unfair.
    Too many members here are acting like self appointed "thread police" lately ...criticizing others for starting threads they deem unworthy of existence!
    That's fine. I get that completely. I personally think the "kids table" comment made no sense at all. But clearly he was just trying to be colorful. It IS ESPN after all.
    And anyone is free to defend Eli. I would defend Eli in this context because I don't think Edwards was giving Eli near enough credit. Its not the defending of Eli that bothers me at all. Its the attacks on Edwards. Its the suggestion that since he had a losing record as a HC, he has no understanding of football and is in no position to comment on current players. Its the suggestions that posters on a MB, none of whom every played or coached a down in the NFL are therefore MORE credible than this guy.
    We all have our opinions and they are what they are. But I knew the reaction wouldn't be "Edwards is wrong and here's why". It was "Edwards is a scumbag and an incompetent".
    Thats not really a defense of Eli at all.
    Get well soon 80.

  2. #102
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10,046
    Lol. It goes both ways people. There are posters who defend Eli to no end and then there are posters who pick on his every move.

  3. #103
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    44,808
    Quote Originally Posted by nygfanmaybe View Post
    Wow...what a great post. It is very obvious that some posters main agenda on this board is to try to make any "fan" of Eli feel like they've done something wrong by defending him. Just about every Eli topic eventually spins in that direction...as if they have some sort of phobia. It's as if they feel their main purpose in life is to try to demean every accomplishment and to exagerate any mistake he makes.
    You are failing to understand my point here completely. My comments have nothing to do with Eli. As I said, I disagree with his point about Eli.
    My point is the overreaction of posters to any public comments that aren't glowing of Eli.
    And to attack anyone who dares express such views.
    Get well soon 80.

  4. #104
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Kingston, PA
    Posts
    1,581
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://gmenhq.com/2013/02/14/espn-he...ards-diss-eli/

    Excerpt: "This morning I put on the Colin Cowherd show on ESPN as I was getting dressed, and they bring in Herm Edwards as an expert analyst of the NFL . Herm played 9 seasons in the NFL and coached two different teams compiling a record of 54-74 in the regular season and 2-4 in the playoffs. Edwards was known as a motivator, a rah rah guy that was good for morale. This quote about Edwards as a head coach says a lot:

    Overall, Edward’s tenure as head coach of the Jets was marred by chronic clock management problems, an ultra-conservative “play not to lose” mentality, and a lack of any discernable defensive philosophy, despite Edwards’ supposed expertise in the Cover 2 defense.


    My point here is that Herm was probably not the best talent evaluator as a Head Coach leading to his poor record and general lack of success…but put a coat and a tie on a guy and he’s an expert. The conversation this morning was the usual off season nonsense until it turned to QB’s in the NFL. Herm made the proclamation…and one that I agree with…that there can’t be 8 ELITE QB’s in the league…there can only be 4. Good point because you are supposed to be comparing them to each other, not some imaginary set of numbers. He prefaced his list with the “In the last FIVE or so years” these are my Elite QB’s….This is where Herm gets lost.

    When asked about ELI, he said “He can sit at the kids table, but he can’t order from the menu”. Really Herm?
    • Pro Bowl (2008, 2011, 2012)
    • Super Bowl champion (XLII, XLVI)
    • Super Bowl MVP (XLII, XLVI)
    • NFL Record most 4th quarter touchdown passes in a season (15)
    • Tied NFL Record most game-winning drives in a season (8) (2011)
    • Most road wins in a single regular season and postseason by a starting quarterback (10)
    Eli also beat your number one guy on the list TWICE in his building to get to the Super Bowl, and then beat the number two guy on your list TWICE in the Super Bowl.Obviously Winning is not a priority with Herm as he evaluates QB’s. Super Bowl Champion QB’s the last 6 years include two of the guys on his list, and the guy who won TWO of the others can’t make the grade.More proof that putting a coat and tie on a guy doesn’t make him an expert." Read more...



    Well that's the problem with declaring a QB "Elite" because everyone has their own definition. If you can only have 4 elite QB's, then I think he is correct. But I think that there are 6 Elite QB's - Brady, Rogers, Brees, Payton M, Eli M. and Big Ben (not in that order).

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    My point is the overreaction of posters to any public comments that aren't glowing of Eli.
    And to attack anyone who dares express such views.
    Eli is a religion.

  6. #106
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10,046
    Eh, Rodgers is the top guy now. Then there is Peyton, Brady, and Brees. Then there are a group of guys that make the top ten that change every year.

  7. #107
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    44,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Eli is a religion.
    And that's what it comes down to here. Herm Edwards wasn't just guilty of making a foolish point. That is always forgivable because we are all entitled to our opinions.
    What Herm Edwards was guilty of on this MB was nothing less than blasphemy. .... And that we don't forgive.
    Get well soon 80.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    In the three year span from 1992-1994 there were seven starting QB's in the league that would end up in the hall of fame. Montana, Marino, Elway, Kelly, Moon, Aikman, and Young. I guess you can have that many elite QB's.

    They are not playing against each other, if they have the talent then they have the talent.
    You make it seem like they all started their careers around the same time.

    Aikman and Young were from a different generation all together.

    Marino, Elway, Kelly, and Moon were an abnormality where it was pretty much those 4 guys head and shoulders above every one else. It really wasn't even close. It's also why that draft class is seen as special. You're definitely right. If you have talent you have talent. But if everyone has the same a mount of talent, you aren't special. Marino, Elway, Kelly , and Moon were special because they were so far ahead of everyone else.

    Compared to today, when Brady, and Peyton clearly are #1 and #2 and head and shoulders above everyone else. Looking back historically to this year, you can't include Aaron Rodgers among the "best ever" because his career just started while Brady and Peyton are finishing up theirs.

    Using the same reasoning you can't lump Young and Aikman with the big 4, just because they happened to overlap a little bit.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Then there are a group of guys that make the top ten that change every year.
    Which is what I think Edwards was referring to with his "kids' table" remark.

  10. #110
    Well, we beat Favre in frigid conditions, in his house, to get into the first SB under Eli, then beat Brady in the SB. Then we went on the road and won a slug fest in the SF mud to get into the 2nd SB and we beat Brady again. I think that says a lot....

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts